• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heard on the Radio

FrayedString

I was making a quick jaunt over to Safeway to pick up something to eat for breakfast, and on my way back to work I heard an interview on the radio (101.1 KOHO out of Leavenworth, WA) talking about a recent Leavenworth city council meeting. Apparently the city of Leavenworth had recently received a letter regarding an ordinance that they had that prohibited firearms in some locations. They had then recently voted to repeal the ordinance, but are planning to draft a letter to the state legislature asking for the authority to regulate firearms possession at city council meetings, libraries, and parks. The woman being interviewed commented about how many cities have recently gotten similar letters and believed that they would be able to garner support from those other cities as well.

Hopefully nothing comes of it, but thought I'd share the information.

Update: Looks like the issue came up at last night's (Tuesday, 11/27) council meeting as can be seen on the agenda here: http://www.cityofleavenworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/11-27-12.pdf

Minutes from the meeting will not be available until Dec 12 apparently.

Update #2: Looks like LMC 2.60.010 is what they voted to repeal (with 3 dissenting votes apparently). Of course it's already repealed due to preemption.
http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Leavenworth/html/Leavenworth02/Leavenworth0260.html#2.60.010

Last edited:

Vitaeus

I don't expect it to gain much traction, since one of the basic reasons for State preemption was to ensure that someone was not a criminal merely by passing over an imaginary line from one part of the state to another. Hopefully the city attorney for that Council was ignored by the three dissenters, since preemption is pretty clearly written in regards to lower level municipalities. I do wish it was better written in regards to state agencies and the universities.

hermannr

I don't expect it to gain much traction, since one of the basic reasons for State preemption was to ensure that someone was not a criminal merely by passing over an imaginary line from one part of the state to another. Hopefully the city attorney for that Council was ignored by the three dissenters, since preemption is pretty clearly written in regards to lower level municipalities. I do wish it was better written in regards to state agencies and the universities.

Our preempton is pretty good compared to say OR. Ours covers unlicensed carry withut local goverments wiggle room. OR does give the cities some leway for unlicense carry in ORS 166.173.

I hope that the Lowry clone that was elected this session doesn't try anything. He got burned once (the AWB) do you think he may have learned? Doubt it.

As to the reason for preemption, you are correct, an even some rabid anti's see the wisdom in it, they just want the ban in the whole state, no just certain muni's.

BTW, IMHO our preemption is enough for teh universities too, just like Oregon and Colorado's was so judged by their courts...someone just needs to challenge them.

hermannr

I was making a quick jaunt over to Safeway to pick up something to eat for breakfast, and on my way back to work I heard an interview on the radio (101.1 KOHO out of Leavenworth, WA) talking about a recent Leavenworth city council meeting. Apparently the city of Leavenworth had recently received a letter regarding an ordinance that they had that prohibited firearms in some locations. They had then recently voted to repeal the ordinance, but are planning to draft a letter to the state legislature asking for the authority to regulate firearms possession at city council meetings, libraries, and parks. The woman being interviewed commented about how many cities have recently gotten similar letters and believed that they would be able to garner support from those other cities as well.

Hopefully nothing comes of it, but thought I'd share the information.

Update: Looks like the issue came up at last night's (Tuesday, 11/27) council meeting as can be seen on the agenda here: http://www.cityofleavenworth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/11-27-12.pdf

Minutes from the meeting will not be available until Dec 12 apparently.

Update #2: Looks like LMC 2.60.010 is what they voted to repeal (with 3 dissenting votes apparently). Of course it's already repealed due to preemption.
http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Leavenworth/html/Leavenworth02/Leavenworth0260.html#2.60.010

Thanks for sharing...we have to stay allert.

Alpine

I travel there a few times per year to relax, get good German food/beer and do wine wasting, river rafting and skiing. Next time I'll be sure to OC and stop by the City Admin building.

EMNofSeattle

Haven't you guys all heard? Jay Inslee was elected governor, he's going to personally defend preemption, if a preemption repeal bill comes to his desk he's going to go primal and rip it to shreds with his bare teeth, why is anyone worried about preemption? Jay Inslee's our guy, he's going to keep it nice and safe.

Last edited:

hermannr

Haven't you guys all heard? Jay Inslee was elected governor, he's going to personally defend preemption, if a preemption repeal bill comes to his desk he's going to go primal and rip it to shreds with his bare teeth, why is anyone worried about preemption? Jay Inslee's our guy, he's going to keep it nice and safe.

that better be dripping, no running over, with sarcasim....:eek:

EMNofSeattle

Consider the source... a 20 y.0. college student with 952 posts in 3 months, most of which are questionable at best.

I thought purple was sarcasm on this board.....

There was someone a few months ago insisting that Rob McKenna was anti-gun because he didn't get a personal response from the campaign. and that he was voting for inslee because inslee was going to protect preemption...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I fear that the obamatons have awakened and feel empowered. I am, sadly, not surprised at this. You may very well see a rash of this kind of knee jerk reactions all over. Hopefully the majority of us will not sleep thru it, like the last election.

decklin

The last time I was in Leavenworth was May of 2011 and they still had signs prohibiting the possession of firearms in their parks.

amzbrady

Why would this ever be sarcastic? you have the word of some low level Inslee official that Inslee loves preemption, and McKenna was just lying and his campaign manager wouldn't respond to any queries about preemption, so he must oppose it.

There was someone a few months ago insisting that Rob McKenna was anti-gun because he didn't get a personal response from the campaign. and that he was voting for inslee because inslee was going to protect preemption...

Are you retarded or something?

Alpine

Sour grapes are tough? Speaking of sarcrasm... why don't you sign a personal secession petition to secede from the state? :lol:
In all seriousness, next time maybe you won't support a RINO. Hopefully when the GOP's civil war is done and they've purged all the republicrats we might get a true conservative gubernatorial candidate next time. After all, we know exacly what RINO governors do with gun bans, they hand them out like candy in attempts to bribe democrat legislatures even when those legislatures don't ask for them, just look @ Romney and Schwarzeneggar.
It must really burn you that Rossi came closer to winning than McKenna. See the final count? Embarrassing. The WA GOP obviously went the wrong direction. But I'm counting on them to have it fixed by next time. Anyway, feel free to bump my thread sometime in the next 4 years if pre-emption gets taken out, but I won't lose any sleep waiting for it... ...in the meantime I hope you eventually drop this dead horse. Berating citizens for trying to get involved in politics who then wind up voting against people who ignore them will not help you persuade others to your way of thinking.

Back on topic... I am driving to Leavenworth in a couple weeks. I'll print out some OCDO pamphlets and drop them by city hall as well as put them up at the bookstore and a couple of the popular local stores. I know some realtors there who are firearms rights proponents, they will probably be willing to help as well.

Last edited:

amlevin

The last time I was in Leavenworth was May of 2011 and they still had signs prohibiting the possession of firearms in their parks.

Last time I was in Leavenworth I decided it was too long a drive and too expensive for what they had to offer.

As for the State repealing preemption, seriously doubt it. It's worked too well for far too long and the only people upset about it are the few who weasel their way into local government. The argument FOR preemption is still strong. Uniformity of laws around the entire State as regards firearms.

As for the signs in the parks, they have as much legal force as a sign that says "No Farting".

compmanio365

Going to Leavenworth this weekend for the tree lighting ceremony.....I'll try to remember to bring some OCDO pamphlets with me, but since it's the weekend no government offices are going to be open. Anybody OCd over there and had any issues?

Tawnos

I was making a quick jaunt over to Safeway to pick up something to eat for breakfast, and on my way back to work I heard an interview on the radio (101.1 KOHO out of Leavenworth, WA) talking about a recent Leavenworth city council meeting. Apparently the city of Leavenworth had recently received a letter regarding an ordinance that they had that prohibited firearms in some locations. [/url]

Oh hey, they received my email! And acted! Crazy world...

Sir/Madam,
I recently visited your lovely city, and while there I was carrying my sidearm as I normally do. While walking through the parks, I noticed one of your signs said that possession of firearms is illegal within the parks. Researching online, it appears that Leavenworth Municipal Code 12.24.040 stipulates that "It is unlawful ... to carry any firearm."

This code is preempted and repealed under Washington state law. RCW 9.41.290 preempts and repeals all codes that are different than state law. Recently, the City of Seattle attempted to enact and enforce a similar code. In Chan v. City of Seattle, the court decisively upheld Washington's preemption law.

I urge you to work with the city council to amend your codes to fall in line with the state model, preempting any potential conflicts in the future. A simple modification to change "to carry any firearm" into "to unlawfully carry any firearm" would satisfy state law, and should allay any irrational fears or objections to the change. While the law would be redundant, it would suffice to bring the city into compliance with state law without requiring significant alteration of city code.
Thank you,
-<me>

hermannr

Going to Leavenworth this weekend for the tree lighting ceremony.....I'll try to remember to bring some OCDO pamphlets with me, but since it's the weekend no government offices are going to be open. Anybody OCd over there and had any issues?

When we go see the kids in the winter we have to pass through Leavenworth, usually stop for lunch..never had a problem in Leavenworth, but that 50's theme restaurant up by the cutoff to Lake Wenatchee...that place is a NO GO, too bad too, good food, good prices, service could be a bit better.

EMNofSeattle

When we go see the kids in the winter we have to pass through Leavenworth, usually stop for lunch..never had a problem in Leavenworth, but that 50's theme restaurant up by the cutoff to Lake Wenatchee...that place is a NO GO, too bad too, good food, good prices, service could be a bit better.

damn you mean the 59er on US-2 is anti? that shocks me considering the area. only a mile away at a C-store on WA-207 they sell guns and ammo, that never struck me as an "anti" type of area.

think they'd care if i went to the milkshake order window outside and never entered the place? too bad I like their food alot.