Thread: Justice Dept. to Investigate the Police in Albuquerque

Justice Dept. to Investigate the Police in Albuquerque

Mr. Perez emphasized that the inquiry was civil, not criminal, and it was unclear if any charges would arise from the investigation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/us...=MYWAY&ei=5065
    Code for: "We gotta do something cuz the local fuzz is getting some bad press."

“Our officers are of the highest quality and receive excellent training,” he said. “However, we know that we are not always perfect, and we know that there is always room for improvement.”
    I certainly hope so, especially where the "improvement" directly impactsthe number of citizens that are being shot by cops.

Room for improvement my rear end.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Mr. Perez emphasized that the inquiry was civil, not criminal, and it was unclear if any charges would arise from the investigation.
    Unlike the 50's - 70's Civil Rights Era DoJ that brought criminal charges of violation of civil rights when the state systems would not bring charges or could not secure criminal convictions.

I really do not think every cop that shoots someone has committed a crime or violated someone's civil rights, but if you are going to bring the Feds in to investigate possible wrongdoing you ought to say up front that if criminal violations are found you do intend to prosecute. Otherwise, all you are doing is spinning tires to make the folks in the bleachers think something happened.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Wasn't Albuquerque the setting for the offense addressed by St. John v. McColley?

Banned
    Yes, it was. I knew it was one of those "A" cities.

Thanks.