• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hb 223

Ravendove

While it's not open carry, I came upon this bill while checking to see if OC had been filed yet. It looks interesting and I love the fact that the bill number is 223. Maybe the OC bill will be 556. Anyway, here's the bill.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
SECTION 1. Section 46.03, Penal Code, is amended by adding
Subsection (j) to read as follows:
(j) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(1)
that at the time of the commission of the offense the actor was:
(1) carrying a concealed handgun that the person was
licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code;
and
(2) attending a school board meeting in an official
capacity as:
(A) a member of the school board; or
(B) the superintendent of the school governed by
the school board.

SECTION 2. Section 46.035, Penal Code, is amended by adding
Subsection (l) to read as follows:
(l) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (c) that
at the time of the commission of the offense the actor was attending
a school board meeting in an official capacity as:
(1) a member of the school board; or
(2) the superintendent of the school governed by the
school board.

SECTION 3. The change in law made by this Act applies only
to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act.
An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is
covered by the law in effect when the offense was committed, and the
former law is continued in effect for that purpose. For purposes of
this section, an offense was committed before the effective date of
this Act if any element of the offense occurred before that date.
SECTION 4. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.

Stryker

Sorry... I cannot support a bill (regardless of its number) that conveys special privileges to elected officials such as this. I don't recall their candidacy prerequisites to include special psychological testing, background checks, or letters from their mothers. In fact, some of the video I have seen indicates that board members can be just as moronic as the parents.

No, this is not a baby step in the right direction. This only opens the doors toward other venues in which only a select few should be able to exercise God given rights, IMHO.

jsimmons

While it's not open carry, I came upon this bill while checking to see if OC had been filed yet. It looks interesting and I love the fact that the bill number is 223. Maybe the OC bill will be 556. Anyway, here's the bill.

(j) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(1) that at the time of the commission of the offense the actor was:

(2) attending a school board meeting in an official capacity as:
(A) a member of the school board; or
(B) the superintendent of the school governed by the school board.

So, only the "ruling elite" are allowed to carry? How is this a good thing for us?

jordanmills

Equal rights... but they're more equal for special elected officials! Yeah, I see myself being completely opposed to this bill.