Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Possibly a repost-- what is recommended for hd, 135 gr or 185 gr.

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    46

    Possibly a repost-- what is recommended for hd, 135 gr or 185 gr.

    Currently I use 185 gr jhp. I worry about where it will end up after going thru bg and a wall or two. Any info?

  2. #2
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    By HD, you mean home defense I take it.

    The issue is what caliber, what powder charge, what bullet type, and type of materials the residential setting you are talking about is made from. From there, suggestions can be made.

    There is however no substitute for you going out and testing your defensive ammo yourself on things to simulate muscle structure and your home, including but not limited to items such as drywall, meat, ballistic gelatin, phone books soaked for 12-24 hours (often called "wet packs"), maybe stucco, siding, and any other medium you're worried about bullet performance with.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

    The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
    By HD, you mean home defense I take it.

    The issue is what caliber, what powder charge, what bullet type, and type of materials the residential setting you are talking about is made from. From there, suggestions can be made.

    There is however no substitute for you going out and testing your defensive ammo yourself on things to simulate muscle structure and your home, including but not limited to items such as drywall, meat, ballistic gelatin, phone books soaked for 12-24 hours (often called "wet packs"), maybe stucco, siding, and any other medium you're worried about bullet performance with.
    Thanks, i actually meant i use 230 gr jhp winchester pdx. in my XD .45. i would love to find somewhere here in the west valley to practice out in the open and try some of your ideas. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Paver1055; 11-28-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: my mind mess up.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    1,835
    Quote Originally Posted by Paver1055 View Post
    Thanks, i actually meant i use 230 gr jhp winchester pdx. in my XD .45. i would love to find somewhere here in the west valley to practice out in the open and try some of your ideas. Thanks again.
    Not trying to be a jerk but...dude, you're in AZ? A 10 minute drive in any direction puts you into several hundred-thousand miles of wide-open desert..

    As to 230 gr., dont get too hung-up on over-pen. It's largely a myth (even with hardball) , unless you hit them in the arm or the hand,etc. and usually not even then. Yes, it pens very well through many items, and pens deep into humans (center-mass/torso) but normally dumps it's energy well. On those rare occasions when it does pen all the way through,it usually lacks enough energy to pen the back layer of clothing, and falls to the ground.
    On the flip-side, if your home-invader/robber decides to try to take cover behind a fridge, you will appreciate that penetration.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Az
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Not trying to be a jerk but...dude, you're in AZ? A 10 minute drive in any direction puts you into several hundred-thousand miles of wide-open desert..

    As to 230 gr., dont get too hung-up on over-pen. It's largely a myth (even with hardball) , unless you hit them in the arm or the hand,etc. and usually not even then. Yes, it pens very well through many items, and pens deep into humans (center-mass/torso) but normally dumps it's energy well. On those rare occasions when it does pen all the way through,it usually lacks enough energy to pen the back layer of clothing, and falls to the ground.
    On the flip-side, if your home-invader/robber decides to try to take cover behind a fridge, you will appreciate that penetration.
    Your right! Thanks, much appreciated.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    northern wis
    Posts
    3,193
    When I am Yuma for the winer it is no trouble drving out desert and finding a place to shoot.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

    Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

  7. #7
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,272
    Home defense = 12 gauge, or 20 gauge shotgun, number 4 bird shot for large rooms, number 8 for small rooms. Bird shot is devastating at close range, and will not over-penetrate. There are also light buckshot rounds that will not over-penetrate. Even if your BG has vest on it should not the wind out of him. That said I do keep a PA-64 on my hip while at home, the shotgun is not always close at hand.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •