• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun testing -- anyone know of a contact that is available?

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=31001-32000&file=31900-31910

CA requires handguns to be tested for unintentional discharge prior to their being able to be sold in the state.

The top link provides information in respect to guns that are OK to sell and ones that have been recently revoked (due to not having the gun re-tested-not that the guns have not passed this test) and recently added.

The second link provides the actual test method used. Clearly it is designed to test the gun's performance when a person who has a gun in his hand, ready to fire, and the handler just drops the gun (what??!!). (Maybe the guy had to go to the bathroom so the government just assumes that the person would just drop his/her gun and go).

I am looking for the data in respect to the handgun testing and test results of guns tested under the test procedure noted above.

But all I get are recorded messages yada yada yada ... so, does anyone have a direct line to someone there who may be of help in getting this information?

And I see that recently revoked guns include ones like the common Bersa 380 ... now what would happen today if you were caught with one in your possession? Would the cops take it away and make you prove that it was purchased during a time period when the gun was approved?

mjones

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=31001-32000&file=31900-31910

CA requires handguns to be tested for unintentional discharge prior to their being able to be sold in the state.

The top link provides information in respect to guns that are OK to sell and ones that have been recently revoked (due to not having the gun re-tested-not that the guns have not passed this test) and recently added.

The second link provides the actual test method used. Clearly it is designed to test the gun's performance when a person who has a gun in his hand, ready to fire, and the handler just drops the gun (what??!!). (Maybe the guy had to go to the bathroom so the government just assumes that the person would just drop his/her gun and go).

I am looking for the data in respect to the handgun testing and test results of guns tested under the test procedure noted above.

But all I get are recorded messages yada yada yada ... so, does anyone have a direct line to someone there who may be of help in getting this information?

And I see that recently revoked guns include ones like the common Bersa 380 ... now what would happen today if you were caught with one in your possession? Would the cops take it away and make you prove that it was purchased during a time period when the gun was approved?

The data is likely only available via PRAR...but I don't know that for certain.

The 'roster of not unsafe handguns' is only applicable to handguns sold by a licensed dealer (to persons without an exemption from the roster requirement; i.e. LEO) It has zero bearing on possession/ownership nor private party transfers

mjones

Wow, someone actually got back to me today...the result: there have been no failures documented by the state

That doesn't surprise me ... I think the roster is primarily about extorting money from gun manufacturers; not about safety.

Last edited: