• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A bum deal....

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Proving safety or lack thereof comes in all shapes and sizes....STORY

A Mercer Island Police officer assigned to the multi-agency narcotics task force is hospitalized after an accidental shooting involving his own weapon.
The task force was serving a search warrant in the Shoreline area Thursday morning when the incident occurred in the 19200 block of Stone Way North.
Police Commander Leslie Burns said the officer was holstering his weapon after the warrant was served, when the gun went off striking him in the butt.
Burns said the officer was taken to Harborview Medcal Center. His injury is not life threatening. The officer has been with the Mercer Island Police Department for seven years.

compmanio365

Glock and stupidity together claim another victim.....the gun did not "go off"....guns don't do that. He, or something in the way, pulled the trigger. "Safe-action" it is not.......watching what the hell you are doing would have prevented this ND.

hermannr

Proving safety or lack thereof comes in all shapes and sizes....STORY

Shot himself in the butt??? Depending on which holster he had, (assuming his holster is like the one used locally) I would SPECULATE that he was not looking at what he was doing and missed the holster, the top edge of the holster caught on the trigger, and...

IF he had attempted to holster with his finger still on the trigger, I would expect the gunshot injury would be to the leg or foot????

The "glock" statement I would agree with...I know with my CZ85 or my Colt that would not be possible, even if I missed and caught the trigger on the holster. The Glock "ease of use" safety scheme is good if you drop the weapon, but not if something catches on the trigger.

DCKilla

I'm very mindful when holstering my pistol. I try not to be complacent whenever handling it. It's a firearm not a cell phone.

Metalhead47

Related to this guy?

192-0118085031-glockforty.jpg

At least the fool in question was clever enough NOT to get himself caught on camera too (at least that we know about).

I've heard of tearing yourself a new one, but that is ridiculous!

bmg50cal

So much for officer safety. :banana:

It's something to put on the resume under professional experience.

If an officer can't handle their own weapon how can any of them justify ever disarming anyone not under arrest. I certainly don't want shot in the arse or anyplace else. :uhoh:

Jeff Hayes

Sounds to me like he missed the holster and realized just about the time he was starting to let go and reflexively grabbed the pistol to keep it from falling. I am guessing he pulled the trigger all buy his self. Lesson let it fall do not attempt to grab a gun that you have either partially or fully lost control of. Modern firearms will not fire if they are dropped. One class I took we practiced dropping blue guns for an hour each day.

Re holstering a pistol should be the slowest thing you do with your pistol.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Daddy used to tell me that, if I did certain things, I would eat my supper standing up. I don't think this is what Dad meant, though!! :lol:

Wonder how long it'll be before Barney, Jr. can comfortably sit down?

1911er

And if we hear about this on the news channels it will be listed as " local police officer shot while serving A warant another good reason to ban guns"

Aparently he dose not know his arse from A hole in the ground. ROFLMAO !!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
No doubt he will claim to his Department that he has been punished enough for his accident. Actually, I would agree. This is going to hurt for a long time.

+1 ... a gun is designed to expel a projectile .... it did just that ... operator error.

These things will happen from time to time.

If we were to say that he was careless or negligent in allowing the discharge then he would have been arrested ... this has happened to more than just cops I would imagine over time ...

No one ever said the 2nd amendment would not cause injury or deaths .... nor that this outcome is not acceptable under the 2nd.

TheGunMan

Wow

You know if you take away the stupidity and lack of gun handling you have to say that he is a rarity in the
he did get a hit with one shot. Most cops cant get a hit in 10 shots.

Trigger Dr

And if we hear about this on the news channels it will be listed as " local police officer shot while serving A warant another good reason to ban guns"

Aparently he dose not know his arse from A hole in the ground. ROFLMAO !!!

Don't you mean a hole in the hip?