• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

plan to be arrested - having one is good

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
While this situation was not only a false accusation but probably a highly vindictive false accusation, the lessons apply whenever you find yourself in the middle of the deep stuff.

These are not the only things you need to know, but they might help you get ready in case anything ever does happen.

stay safe.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/11/28/bogus-allegations/#axzz2DbhWnZ8H
Of course, few people give much thought to what they should do (and not do) if they are falsely accused. But like the Gesses, prior to their ordeal, you too might have an “it’ll never happen to me” attitude. But the truth is, there’s no way to know for sure what curveballs life might have in store—and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Read on for 12 lessons that Michelle Gesse has learned in the Criminal Justice School of Hard Knocks. Having this information beforehand might make a huge difference if you or a loved one is ever falsely accused of a crime.
Have an “arrest plan” in place (yes, it could happen to you). Generally, people don’t assume that their homes will catch fire. Statistically speaking, it’s not a likely occurrence. But most people still take out homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, just in case. Likewise, though you hope it’ll never happen, you teach your child to scream and run if accosted by a stranger. You’ve probably considered what you’d do if someone approached you in a dark parking lot. And depending on where you live, your family may have a wildfire, hurricane, tornado, or earthquake plan in place. In the same way, says Gesse, you should think through and be prepared for a possible arrest.
“None of us think something like this could happen to us, but it is possible that at some point in your life you or someone you love may be arrested,” she says. “It could be your spouse, your child, a relative, or a good friend. What would you do if this happened? Would you be forearmed with any strategy or knowledge, or would you be floundering, completely at the mercy of ‘the system’? Believe me, it’s a good idea to think about what you would do if you were confronted by the police at your own front door, or how you might respond if you received a phone call telling you that a loved one had been arrested. That disaster may have a higher probability than many of those for which you have prepared.”
Likewise, it is wise to have “the talk” with your kids beforehand. This particular “talk” should be about what they should do if they are ever arrested or interrogated by law enforcement officers, regardless of the reason.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I already taught my kid that if cops come to your door .. make them break it down to gain entry and do not talk to them.

Then you have evidence of a forced entry ... (and making them break down a door is no additional crime).

OC for ME

If her article is aimed at informing her fellow citizens then a simple "After my husband was acquitted, we went after the bum who falsely accused my husband and had these experiences." This would drive home the point that the justice system is a two way street, not a one way street. The accuser becomes the accused both criminally and civilly. Her call for getting the best lawyer you can afford and maybe not afford is very good advice.

There are serious misdemeanor crimes committed if a citizen falsely accuses a fellow citizen here in Missouri.

The article is a tease for her book.

eye95

I already taught my kid that if cops come to your door .. make them break it down to gain entry and do not talk to them.

Then you have evidence of a forced entry ... (and making them break down a door is no additional crime).

Are you certain that there is not one single jurisdiction in this country where not opening the door to a police officer with a valid warrant could not possibly be considered any kind of crime whatsoever? Broad statements like that are dangerous unless backed up by court rulings that have broad reach.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Are you certain that there is not one single jurisdiction in this country where not opening the door to a police officer with a valid warrant could not possibly be considered any kind of crime whatsoever? Broad statements like that are dangerous unless backed up by court rulings that have broad reach.

As certain as I can be ... they just break down the door if they wish...how can that be a crime anyway? Obstruction requires action, not inaction. Keep your doors closed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

OC for ME

Well, in Missouri, it seems to be a crime to not open your door when a peace officer is serving a warrant.

575.160.: Interference with legal process.

1. A person commits the crime of interference with legal process if, knowing any person is authorized by law to serve process, for the purpose of preventing such person from effecting the service of any process, he interferes with or obstructs such person.

2. "Process" includes any writ, summons, subpoena, warrant other than an arrest warrant, or other process or order of a court.

3. Interference with legal process is a class B misdemeanor.

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5750000160.HTM
So, it is important that a citizen be fully aware of there legal standing by simply not opening a door to a peace officer serving a warrant, even if the peace officer is at the wrong house. Now, by not opening the door, the fuzz breaks down your door, and you peacably submit per the warrant, could/would the state charge you under this statute? I do not know.

rpyne

Well, in Missouri, it seems to be a crime to not open your door when a peace officer is serving a warrant.

So, it is important that a citizen be fully aware of there legal standing by simply not opening a door to a peace officer serving a warrant, even if the peace officer is at the wrong house. Now, by not opening the door, the fuzz breaks down your door, and you peacably submit per the warrant, could/would the state charge you under this statute? I do not know.

Check the wording of that statute carefully, it requires "knowing any person is authorized by law to serve process". Having them just yell through the door that they are police does not let you "know", anyone can claim to be police and home invasion robbers often do.

OC for ME

Check the wording of that statute carefully, it requires "knowing any person is authorized by law to serve process". Having them just yell through the door that they are police does not let you "know", anyone can claim to be police and home invasion robbers often do.
Good point. If anyone is yelling through your door claiming they are the police it is a high probability that it is the police. Though, a phone call to 911 is recommended to verify while taking passive defensive measures in the event that the low probability alternative is the case.

+1 to you Sir.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Correct .. and the purpose of making them break down the door is because you don't know if they are legally there or not. They are allowed to lie in the performance of their duties so anything they say can assumed to be a lie.

I was a process server and I understand the idea behind that statue but it does not require a person to open the door. Being a process server was my favorite job ! "catch me if you can"

Freedom1Man

Correct .. and the purpose of making them break down the door is because you don't know if they are legally there or not. They are allowed to lie in the performance of their duties so anything they say can assumed to be a lie.

I was a process server and I understand the idea behind that statue but it does not require a person to open the door. Being a process server was my favorite job ! "catch me if you can"

I've done a couple of serves. It really calls for creativity, I'll give you that.

The funnest one was serving a county employee at his office.

self preservation

The answer is in the post you quoted. Reading is fundamental.

Maybe or maybe not. The poster stated that he was convicted, but I have seen several times when people will mean to use one word but instead use another word that has a whole different meaning (myself included). If he was in fact convicted for pleading the 5th and the 4th, I sure the hell would like to know more about it. People are charged with stupid sh!t all the time. So if he was only charged, sadly enough it wouldn't be that big of an attention getter. But if he was convicted.....well, thats a whole other story.

Last edited:

eye95

Maybe or maybe not. The poster stated that he was convicted, but I have seen several times when people will mean to use one word but instead use another word that has a whole different meaning (myself included). If he was in fact convicted for pleading the 5th and the 4th, I sure the hell would like to know more about it. People are charged with stupid sh!t all the time. So if he was only charged, sadly enough it wouldn't be that big of an attention getter. But if he was convicted.....well, thats a whole other story.

Yeah, I took your post as questioning the word choice of the poster to whom you were replying. You demonstrated more fundamental reading skills than the poster who questioned yours did.

In reading, using context to infer effectively is fundamental.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

self preservation

There's no maybe about it. I wasn't guessing when I responded the first time. He's posted plenty about it.

If a 16 word sentence is "plenty" then maybe so. I'm still guessing that the poster misused a word. If not, I'd like to hear his story. To learn from his experience(s). The only thing that I'm learning from your comments are some people can't see past the tip of their nose. Whats so hard to understand that a post struck me as odd and that I was requesting clarification? Just because he physically typed the word "convicted" does not mean that the whole story has been told as you claim. It does not mean that one can not question the post itself. And just because a post has been typed using or not using certain words does not necessarily make it an accurate statement.

clar·i·fy (klr-f)
v. clar·i·fied, clar·i·fy·ing, clar·i·fies
v.tr.
1. To make clear or easier to understand; elucidate: clarified her intentions.
2. To clear of confusion or uncertainty: clarify the mind.
3. To make clear by removing impurities or solid matter, as by heating gently or filtering: clarify butter.
v.intr.
To become clear.

Last edited:

LV XD9

If a 16 word sentence is "plenty" then maybe so.
I didn't mean in this thread alone. He's posted about this plenty of times in other threads on the forum. A simple search would show you, if you honestly wanted to know.

Yes, he was found guilty (aka convicted) of obstruction.

Person 1: That house is blue.
Person 2: Blue or red?
Person 1: I don't know - what did I just say? :banghead:

Last edited:

self preservation

I didn't mean in this thread alone. He's posted about this plenty of times in other threads on the forum. A simple search would show you, if you honestly wanted to know.

Yes, he was found guilty (aka convicted) of obstruction.

I doubt a "simple" search would have done much good. He may have very well posted this story in several different threads but THIS thread is the only one that I have seen it in....so it's new to me. Since you seem to be an expert on this subject, how about you enlightening the rest of us to the events that transpired that ultimately got this man convicted.