• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing Comfort and Weight

urban armor

When I first started carrying and basically just thought it would be interesting to see the responses. I really hadn't given much thought to OC'ing everyday and what the correct holster and belt can do for the comfort of it all.

I initially just had a nylon holster holding a 1911 on my normal belt I wore everyday. It was flopping around catching on everything as I have a pretty active job. Then I changed guns to a Kahr 45 . It was slimmer, weighed a ton less, and not a much of a catch on everything gun. Then I changed to a Springfield XD45 and the small blow molded holster that comes with it. It was heavier so it was always sagging and leaning out catching on stuff not to mention the always digging into my hip at the business end. I started to pay attention to how the gun was moving around when I moved. I noticed the entire holster pitched back and forth. The solution a wider belt to control holster movement. It worked!!!!!! Then I started paying attention to the way it kept leaning out catching on everything and changed holsters to a paddle holster and low and behold it worked. I added 2 extra mags to my weak side and the weight balanced out. Life is good!!!!

I was amazed at how little adjustments made such a big difference. So every thing is comfortable for now, still in search of the perfect belt, and if it is comfortable I find it to be much more enjoyable, and less of an annoyance that it is always in the way. It really is the little things in life!

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else had similar results or something for new OC'rs to think about. If you want to carry a heavy gun make it comfortable and look like a little thought has gone into it. Don't just ziptie a gun to your belt. Especially if you OC everyday.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have found that when carrying a heavier gun it is more comfortable to use a holster with a wide paddle or the belt loops further apart. This helps disperse the weight over a wider area. As for belts, a sturdy 2-inch wide leather belt works quite well. There are belts made specifically for carry but they tend to be expensive.

urban armor

I have found that when carrying a heavier gun it is more comfortable to use a holster with a wide paddle or the belt loops further apart. This helps disperse the weight over a wider area. As for belts, a sturdy 2-inch wide leather belt works quite well. There are belts made specifically for carry but they tend to be expensive.

Yah the wider paddles definitely. Belt loops on the holster that is a good one too. My buddy has a leather holster with wide loops he says it is super comfortable. It is ridiculous how expensive the better belts are!

mobiushky

I've been using a Glock Sport holster for years. Never really used much else.

I bought a Glock sport holster for my wife to use at the range (G26). With the weather changing I'm finding I really like it. I can comfortably carry my G19 even under a jacket concealed. Not a bad design.

mahkagari

Oh, whoops. I thought this thread was about what to do to avoid an illegal CC charge because your love handles cover your weapon. Nevermind.

ooghost1oo

I've OC'd mostly in the past with my P99, which is full size, in a serpa, and a couple of extra mags on the other side.

Just like with the CC theory, though, I'm more likely to strap on if I'm carrying something lighter and less in the way, so these days I focus more on my little PF9. On special OC outings, though, I'd be more interested in a full-sized firearm. For a while I was even taking that to the logical conclusion and, since I wasn't interested in CC anyway, was looking at buying one of those new FN .45's with 16 round capacity.