• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MCRGO indicates a compromise has been reached on HB5225

detroit_fan

from their facebook page-

MORE BREAKING NEWS: MCRGO has received word that a compromise has been reached on HB 5225 and that the bill will be taken up and passed by the Senate on Tuesday. We don't know the details yet of this compromise, because unlike SB 59, the NRA, not MCRGO, is the lead group on this bill. We suspect the compromise will change the House language that eliminates all background checks including those for private party sales.

link-

http://www.facebook.com/mcrgo

Michigander

Looking back at when the MCRGO was bigger, they were deeply in bed with the NRA. Basically a money funnel for the NRA, that much was clear to anyone who read their news letters, and not long after that most of us know how and why they went to ****. Them having this news ahead of time would indeed suggest they are still in bed together, and I would also guess that the NRA has quite a bit more knowledge on the current SB59 than we do.

I almost wish I had a facebook account, because I can't read the articles in that link. I suppose re posting them in their entirety might be against rules, but if someone could PM me relevant segments I'd appreciate it.

I am scrambling to figure out what in the hell is going on. Anyone who is a regular on here who might know more than I do who would like to talk about this on the phone with me, please call me. Whatever I end up doing tomorrow, all of my energy is going to be devoted to sorting this out. I do know I will be calling politicians and asking questions first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

detroit_fan

michigander- there isn't really an article on the FB page, what i posted is the only statement they made on the page. I will update you if they post more.

they also just posted this-

The board of Michigan Open Carry has just voted to support the version of Senate Bill 59 passed today by the Senate. MCRGO and MOC will be issuing a joint statement of support tomorrow.

Michigander

To further put things in context, let's consider Carrol Bambery. http://www.carolbamberynra.com/

To say that the NRA and MCRGO are intertwined seems very obvious. The NRA loves MCRGO, or at least did at one time, using them as powerful grass roots muscle, and yet the NRA seems to hate us and everything we stand for. We do know that the NRA blocked open carry in Florida, blocked it partially in AZ, and now it would appear very possible that Michigan Open Carry is going to work with the NRA/MCRGO to outlaw it some while also enabling the NRA to make some money on further classes. Though I am not sure it will make a huge difference, since untold thousands of CPL holders CC in CEZ's anyway as is, and few OCers OC regularly in CEZ's, it still seems like something I'd have thought we wouldn't want.

While I have stepped away from MOC, perhaps permanently due to what seems to be irreconcilable differences, I would kindly ask that those on the MOC board, whoever it is these days, or any other MOC leaders who don't want me to go all out nuts tomorrow trying to lobby to stop this from passing contact me to tell me what is going on and why it makes sense. I am not liking the way this sounds one bit, but am open to hearing why this would be best. PM me for my phone number if interested.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
The board of Michigan Open Carry has just voted to support the version of Senate Bill 59 passed today by the Senate. MCRGO and MOC will be issuing a joint statement of support tomorrow.

I would suggest you reconsider support for a bill whose "certain rights" are expanded only via an exception or exemption avenues ... have you considered that cops may still arrest upstanding citizens for using their new rights? And a 42 USC 1983 claim will never prevail against the police who wish to view the new rights in a negative light...because the new rights are based upon affirmative defenses....there is no mechanism for protecting these new rights ... and only suffering, loss of $$$, and possible jail time for those arrested.

If the new HB is similar to the SB passed ....

Last edited:

detroit_fan

I would suggest you reconsider support for a bill whose "certain rights" are expanded only via an exception or exemption avenues ... have you considered that cops may still arrest upstanding citizens for using their new rights? And a 42 USC 1983 claim will never prevail against the police who wish to view the new rights in a negative light...because the new rights are based upon affirmative defenses....there is no mechanism for protecting these new rights ... and only suffering, loss of $$$, and possible jail time for those arrested.

I am not a MOC board member, I was simply posting an update form a facebook page.

detroit_fan

From MCRGO facebook page-

HB 5225 UPDATE: We've learned that the compromise on HB 5225 is that there is no compromise. NRA won't give in to Gov. Snyder on private party sales. The Senate is expected to pass the House version that eliminates all purchase permits and registration this coming Tuesday. Snyder likely won't sign the bill resulting in a pocket veto.

autosurgeon

When someone has the exempt box checked on their CPL and it is due to a legal exception that exception shows up in LEIN. Thus the police would know when they run your ID that you are legally allowed to carry there. This would be no different than any of the other excepted groups such as Reserve officers and judges and PI's since I have seen no rashes of them being arrested for being in a PFZ with the exemption checked I doubt your premise holds any water.

detroit_fan

Is anyone else getting dizzy in this flurry of action during the lame duck?

For those who don't remember, HB5225 is a bill to end pistol registration and Purchase Permits. It has been said that MSP are the ones most actively opposing, and Snyder does not want private party sales w/o background checks. The NRA is the lead on this bill, and here is the latest update on HB5225 per MCRGO(keep in mind all of this may change any minute)-

"LAME DUCK UPDATE: Senate leadership has confirmed that the NRA and Governor Snyder have reached a deal on HB 5225 (eliminates registration and purchase permits). The details of the deal and the substitute bill are not yet public. The Senate will pass HB 5225 within the coming week and Governor Snyder will sign the bill."

Now I have no information as to what the "deal" was, and if Snyder and the MSP are agreeing to it who knows what's in it. We should all keep an eye on this one imo

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Is anyone else getting dizzy in this flurry of action during the lame duck?

For those who don't remember, HB5225 is a bill to end pistol registration and Purchase Permits. It has been said that MSP are the ones most actively opposing, and Snyder does not want private party sales w/o background checks. The NRA is the lead on this bill, and here is the latest update on HB5225 per MCRGO(keep in mind all of this may change any minute)-

"LAME DUCK UPDATE: Senate leadership has confirmed that the NRA and Governor Snyder have reached a deal on HB 5225 (eliminates registration and purchase permits). The details of the deal and the substitute bill are not yet public. The Senate will pass HB 5225 within the coming week and Governor Snyder will sign the bill."

Now I have no information as to what the "deal" was, and if Snyder and the MSP are agreeing to it who knows what's in it. We should all keep an eye on this one imo

I didn't see anywhere saying MSP was in favor of the "deal". The fact there is a "deal" makes me nervous. I pray we don't switch to FOID cards.

detroit_fan

I didn't see anywhere saying MSP was in favor of the "deal". The fact there is a "deal" makes me nervous. I pray we don't switch to FOID cards.

You are correct, there is no indication that the MSP is in favor of it, but considering Snyder has said all along that the MSP do not support it, and the MSP have actively lobbied against it, I would say that it's more likely than not that anything Snyder agrees to sign will have the blessing of our overlords(MSP)

The compromise scares the hell out of me too, who knows what it is. Then again, as fast as things are changing who even knows if it will move at all

xmanhockey7

You are correct, there is no indication that the MSP is in favor of it, but considering Snyder has said all along that the MSP do not support it, and the MSP have actively lobbied against it, I would say that it's more likely than not that anything Snyder agrees to sign will have the blessing of our overlords(MSP)

The compromise scares the hell out of me too, who knows what it is. Then again, as fast as things are changing who even knows if it will move at all

Either way I'm predicting blood flowing through our streets! ;)

griffin

I hear registration will be gone, but private party sales will still require a background check. Not sure how that will work out, if true.

Private party sales already play by the same rules as FFL sales. The buyer is required to have a permit to purchase or a CPL. What the heck are you guys talking about?