• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MCRGO indicates a compromise has been reached on HB5225

detroit_fan

Either way I'm predicting blood flowing through our streets! ;)

don't forget the wild west shootouts!

I hear registration will be gone, but private party sales will still require a background check. Not sure how that will work out, if true.

at this point i would take that over a pocket veto of the entire bill. registration repeal would be a HUGE win for 2A in MI imo.

detroit_fan

Private party sales already play by the same rules as FFL sales. The buyer is required to have a permit to purchase or a CPL. What the heck are you guys talking about?

the original 5225 would have eliminated registration, but also legalized private sales of pistols without a cpl/PP, just like long guns and shotguns.

the "compromise" version may include registration repeal, but keep PP/CPL requirements for pistols in place.

detroit_fan

If that is true, then wouldn't the buyer and seller have to go through an FFL? If that happens, then the 18-20 year olds will no longer be able to buy handguns in the state, (including enlisted), because the FFL will not be able to complete the transfer.

couldn't they still require PP? so you go to police, get PP, then you can buy one legally, just don't have to register it. anyone selling a handgun would have to see a CPL or PP to sell to them.

detroit_fan

I really don't know. We don't know if the police will even have a LTP to give. My guess is, no, they would not have a permit to give, because they will not be allowed to keep records any longer. As you know, the LTP copies are normally returned to the PD for filing into records.

If it goes through NICS via FFL, the youngsters are SOL.

I suppose we will have to wait for the text of the amended bill.

Indeed, I'm anxiously-nervous to see the revised bill

xmanhockey7

Indeed, I'm anxiously-nervous to see the revised bill

Me too. For my sake, everyone in Michigan, and others 18-20 I really hope they don't end up requiring it to go through an FFL. If Snyder makes a "compromise" I'd hope it'd be something like a "License to purchase, possess, transport, and carry a pistol". Once you obtain that you can purchase, possess, transport, or carry any handgun and not have to register them. And it would allow for an exemption to the GFSZA.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

What if he omits that little tidbit? Hmmmm? He already found a way to get rid of OC in PFZ's.

Cite a law that would prohibit open carry if that bit is taken out. Be the same if that is not there or if he went by the original bill and got rid of registration and PtP all together.

Last edited:

Yooper

No idea. I am just posting updates as I see them. Most have come from this page-

http://www.facebook.com/mcrgo

based on this comment by MCRGO " just to clarify, the latest bill on-line is the version that passed the House. While we would be thrilled to have the governor sign this version, the version that will go to him is likely still being drafted and probably contains some type of background check on private party sales.", my guess is we won't see it until next week.

Bronson

I really don't know. We don't know if the police will even have a LTP to give. My guess is, no, they would not have a permit to give, because they will not be allowed to keep records any longer. As you know, the LTP copies are normally returned to the PD for filing into records.

You're still thinking in the current system requirements. They could still require private party buyers to get a background check done by the local police and just a receipt showing that it had been completed and passed.

Bronson

B

Bikenut

Perhaps they have to pass it so we can find out what's in it?:shocker:

Bronson

My guess is that Snyder will try to get background checks on all private party firearms sales, including long guns, in exchange for getting rid of registration.

Bronson

Haman J.T.

I would suggest you reconsider support for a bill whose "certain rights" are expanded only via an exception or exemption avenues ... have you considered that cops may still arrest upstanding citizens for using their new rights? And a 42 USC 1983 claim will never prevail against the police who wish to view the new rights in a negative light...because the new rights are based upon affirmative defenses....there is no mechanism for protecting these new rights ... and only suffering, loss of $$$, and possible jail time for those arrested.

If the new HB is similar to the SB passed ....
You've got a great point! Thats why we need to back eachother with a buck when it comes time to sue em!

Haman J.T.

I hear registration will be gone, but private party sales will still require a background check. Not sure how that will work out, if true.
Seller takes buyer to gun shop(FFL),has FFL call NICS for $$,sale done!

SpringerXDacp

Seller takes buyer to gun shop(FFL),has FFL call NICS for $$,sale done!

An easier, less expensive, method would be if the local PD's and Sheriff Departments issued a license (ex. RI-0BC) similar to the License To Purchase (LTP, RI-010) where it would indicate the applicant cleared a background check. The RI-0BC, would include the issuing agency and applicant info, in duplicate - the seller gets a copy and the buyer retains a copy.

Sheldon

My Pastor (yes I said Pastor) went up to Lansing last week on a junket to see about this bill, (yes he is pro carry) and he indicated that it stands on very good ground into becoming a fact...

detroit_fan

My Pastor (yes I said Pastor) went up to Lansing last week on a junket to see about this bill, (yes he is pro carry) and he indicated that it stands on very good ground into becoming a fact...

a lot has changed since last week, there is no way registration and private sales will be legalized, that is the only thing i AM sure of at this point.