Thread: Outback Steakhouse in Missoula is anti-gun

Outback Steakhouse in Missoula is anti-gun

While I was eating the manager approached and asked me to either take my gun out to the car. I informed him I had been OCing there for years and have never been approached about it, he told me "If I had noticed I would have asked you earlier.". No more Outback for me, there other places that KNOW I carry and have said they are glad I exercise my rights and am always welcome in there establishment. HuHot, Montana Club, China Buffet, Zydeco Cafe, Subway, Pizza Hut, Dennys, Ruby's cafe and many others are all gun friendly.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 11-30-2012 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Fixed title

Quote Originally Posted by Ninelivez View Post
    While I was eating the manager approached and asked me to either take my gun out to the car. I informed him I had been OCing there for years and have never been approached about it, he told me "If I had noticed I would have asked you earlier.". No more Outback for me, there other places that KNOW I carry and have said they are glad I exercise my rights and am always welcome in there establishment. HuHot, Montana Club, China Buffet, Zydeco Cafe, Subway, Pizza Hut, Dennys, Ruby's cafe and many others are all gun friendly.
    Oh well, outback steakhouse ain't all that great either. I feel very fat everytime I eat there...

Now I have a better excuse to stay away. Does Outback steakhouse franchise their locations? Is there a corporate policy regarding carry of firearms by patrons? do you believe this is a chainwide decision or just an overzealous manager?
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Have never seen of an Outback corporate policy on this.

We have several times had OC dinners (20-25 people) at Outbacks locally w/o problem.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    Now, if I saw a bear sitting there not bothering me .. would I walk up to it and poke it with a stick? I would if I like to taste my own blood.

This manager highlights that people who walk up to carriers (and claim they have a fear of what you may do with the gun) and piss them off its really about their anti-gun opinion and not about safety at all.

I would go back, order, eat 1/2, then go out and put the gun on and sit back and continue the meal...if they tell you to leave then you get a free meal!

He did not say don't come back with your gun, right?

Hopefully you got his name.
    Now call the store & get in touch with the store manager. It may be that this guy was only the shift manager, or the kitchen manager, or the seating manager, or the cash register manager... IOW, someone with no authority to be making store policy.

Alternatively, contact corporate.

Outback Steakhouse Corporate Office & Headquarters
    2202 N West Shore Blvd., 5th Floor
    Tampa, FL
    (813) 282-1225

Here's their webpage. At the bottom is a "guest survey" link and a "contact us" link.
    http://www.outback.com/
    If you use the "guest survey" link, I'd suggest using the bottom button, the one for general questions. That way it'll probably go to corporate. If it goes to the Missoula place directly, they might ignore or lose it.

Here's what I submitted through their "contact us" link. Feel free to borrow, but please make your email your own so they don't start ignoring form letters. (And check spelling, etc.)

Last night a friend of mine went to your Missoula location for dinner, as he has done many times before. As always, he was lawfully armed. This time, someone claiming to be a manager told him to go put his pistol in his car. Peaceful exercise of a civil right should not be a reason to turn away a customer. Please clarify that Outback's policy is to welcome all law-abiding customers, and contact the store management so they understand as well. I found out about this by his posting on a national gun-rights discussion board, and I'll let people know when you clarify Outback's position.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 11-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

From a search of the internet it seems Outback Corp policy is to not allow carry.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-again-2.html
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    From a search of the internet it seems Outback Corp policy is to not allow carry.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-again-2.html
    Does the source above have a link to outback's corporate office or something more substantial than the 1st page of posts ?

I don't need an allowance .. I'm a big boy now

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Does the source above have a link to outback's corporate office or something more substantial than the 1st page of posts ?

I don't need an allowance .. I'm a big boy now
    See post #27
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Banned

found it, thanks monkay ... 2009 policy ...

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    See post #27

July 22, 2009

William Noll
    6331 Ricky Allen Rd.
    Corryton, TN 37721

Dear Mr. Noll,

Thank you for your recent email concerning the newly passed gun law in the State of Tennessee. While we respect the right of all citizens to bear arms, it is our decision to not allow people to do so in our restaurants. We are not disrespectful of the rights of gun owners, we merely want all of our guests to feel welcomed and safe, and frankly see no need for guns to be brought into restaurants.

Please feel free to call me if there are any additional concerns or questions.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Sincerely,

Bruce Doucette
    615-661-8555

Interesting. I've never had a problem in the Outback here in Medford Oregon. Never even the "are you a cop" question.

Tag 'em on "friend or foe" and send the manager and corporate a screen print of the "tagging".
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

This brings up an intersting conundrum. Do you/we continue to patronize those restaurants in states where they don't enforce the ban in order to show support for restaurants that DO respect rights while denying our dollars to those that dont'. Unfortunately, I don't think the financial variation between the two sets of restaurants would be sufficient to cause corporate to take notice and then have to consider whether they want to take the financial hit or lift the ban.

We simply need more people committed to the cause.
    "The Second Amendment speaks nothing to an unfettered Right". (Post # 100)
    "Restrictions are not infringements. Bans are infringements.--if it reaches beyond Reasonable bans". (Post # 103)
    Beretta92FSLady
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ons-Bill/page5

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nothing in any of my posts should be considered legal advice. If you need legal advice, consult a reputable attorney, not an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by We-the-People View Post
    This brings up an intersting conundrum. Do you/we continue to patronize those restaurants in states where they don't enforce the ban in order to show support for restaurants that DO respect rights while denying our dollars to those that dont'. Unfortunately, I don't think the financial variation between the two sets of restaurants would be sufficient to cause corporate to take notice and then have to consider whether they want to take the financial hit or lift the ban.

We simply need more people committed to the cause.
    A letter from that store's management to corporate asking corporate to change their policy is much more effective than letters from customers. I would write my local management and tell them why we must stop going to their restaurant, and ask them to help you resolve the corporate policy.

Show them the asinine and ignorant remarks made by their corporate representative. They should be as infuriated as we are.

Now, that said, this has a chance to backfire and might cause enforcement of the corporate policy locally. Feel out the local management first, but my instinct is not to patronize any store with such a corporate policy and to let local and corporate know why.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Now, if I saw a bear sitting there not bothering me .. would I walk up to it and poke it with a stick? I would if I like to taste my own blood.

This manager highlights that people who walk up to carriers (and claim they have a fear of what you may do with the gun) and piss them off its really about their anti-gun opinion and not about safety at all.

I would go back, order, eat 1/2, then go out and put the gun on and sit back and continue the meal...if they tell you to leave then you get a free meal!

He did not say don't come back with your gun, right?
    BRILLIANT---*with sarcasm*