Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Zone employee fired for armed resistance

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

Auto Zone employee fired for armed resistance

http://wtkr.com/2012/11/30/autozone-...-beard-bandit/

Even my non-carrying wife wanted me to run to OCDO and see what has been said here about this bass-ackwards situation, but all I see (hear) here is "crickets." Hasn't anyone heard about this yet? Maybe our OCDO fellows from outside the local area will want to read about it . . . . .
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Excellent thread Old Virginia Joe.

My first reaction is "well, I'll never go to Auto Zone again", but I'll bet Napa, Carquest, Pep Boys, Federated, etc. etc. is probably no different. I'm shocked to find out that the "Bearded Bandit" has hit so many places, but then again, he's probably robbing mass-murder-zones (aka gun-free-zones). The former Auto Zone employee had courage, and with the exception of him refering to his pistol as a weapon seems to have his head on straight and is committed to be a decent person willing to take a stand against those that would harm us.

I just hope it works out for him. If I had a shop, or a business I would want to employ a man like him.

BTW, the article is taking comments. I don't see any blatant anti comments (yet), just a fence sitter. If you can, leave a comment. This would be a good opportunity to educate the public on why anti-life policies are a failure.
    Last edited by T Dubya; 11-30-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Add to post.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Re: Auto Zone employee fired for armed resistance

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    My first reaction is "well, I'll never go to Auto Zone again", but I'll bet Napa, Carquest, Pep Boys, Federated, etc. etc. is probably no different. I'm shocked to find out that the "Bearded Bandit" has hit so many places, but then again, he's probably robbing mass-murder-zones (aka gun-free-zones). The former Auto Zone employee had courage, and with the exception of him refering to his pistol as a weapon seems to have his head on straight and is committed to be a decent person willing to take a stand against those that would harm us.

I just hope it works out for him. If I had a shop, or a business I would want to employ a man like him.
    Not that I agree but wouldn't defending yourself in a store as an employee open up Autozone to civil litigation should the perp or other customers get hurt?

Heck, where I am you can't even chase or molest shoplifters in most stores.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What can one do. Autozone is a private business. Boycott Autozone and pass the word. Inform corporate that a boycott is in effect and let. Tough on the store employees, and the manager, he seemed to appreciate the assistance. A public awareness campaign for Mr. McClean and his plight is needed. The locals, and surrounding areas need to speak up. The boycott should not focus on workplace carry, Mr. McClean followed company policy because he had to go to his vehicle to retrieve his firearm. This is about Autozone and their policies on employee safety in the workplace.

Autozone does not support your unalienable right to self defense as a Autozone employee.

E-mail sent to Autozone corporate.

To Whom it may concern,

A former Autozone employee, Mr. McClean, who was terminated two days after thwarting a armed robbery attempt at one of you stores, was in compliance with company policy regarding firearms....until he thwarted that armed robbery attempt.

Your application of your zero tolerance policy on firearms in Mr. McClean's incident is draconian and a clear message that Autozone does not support a citizen's unalienable right to lawful self-defense, and the lawful defense of others in accordance with the applicable laws of Virginia.

I am calling for a boycott of Autozone stores until Mr. McClean is reinstated to his former position.

Respectfully
    OC for ME
    Missouri
    Autozone's comment page will not permit any Interwebs links to be included in the comment.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Not that I agree but wouldn't defending yourself in a store as an employee open up Autozone to civil litigation should the perp or other customers get hurt?

civil litigation < Dirt nap
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

So they have a policy against employees having a firearm inside the store. I guess he should have held the door open and stood outside the threshold to confront the bandit. These policies are so stupid it's not funny. All they do is make victims out of the employees.

Civil litigation from who? The relatives of a potentially deceased disguised bandit?

It seems that the laws of Virginia would need to be researched to determine if a civil case could be brought against Autozone for either the actions of a employee or the inaction(s) of Autozone Corporate. Now, if Mr. McClean acted outside of Virginia law then termination would seem appropriate. If Mr. McClean acted within Virginia law then his termination is a Autozone Mr. McClean issue, and by extension a self-defense issue.

The news story provides no details on the legality aspect of the incident.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I do not live in Virginia. But there are two autozones in my neighborhood. I sent a similar email (sim to OCfME) to az's corporate. I will assist in the boycott until he is rehired. We must stand together or we will surely be hung separately.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Good post Joe!
    I carry in Autozone at least once a week. I wonder if Corporate has a NO GUNS policy for customers?

Banned
    AutoZone's policy on robbers: Resistance is futile. Plus, we will fire you.

I assume they wish not to encourage employees from such activity....

One should ask during the interview: hey, if a dude comes in to rob me with a weapon, can I blow him away with my .357? Please say yes.

Edit:

I miss-read the story the first time and thought that Mr. McClean was able to hold the suspect there.

Regardless, in my opinion, he acted perfectly, and he should get his job back ASAP. Why the heck wouldn't you want I guy like this working for you?! He followed all of the rule, right up to the point where he put his own life at risk to protect other employees. I would love to work with a guy like that!
    Last edited by VApatriot; 11-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Regular Member Old Virginia Joe's Avatar

response strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Good post Joe!
    I carry in Autozone at least once a week. I wonder if Corporate has a NO GUNS policy for customers?
    Thanks, PN. Good question! Maybe we should go in there OC, and just "look around." When they ask if they can help you, just say, no, I'm not buying anything here because of the corporate policy on employee firearms, and walk out. A dozen of those incidents might get some one's attention?
    VCDL, Army Vet, Virginia Native

Hey, Libtards, it's the "Bill of Rights," not the "Bill of Needs" . . . . .

If the 2A does not apply to modern weapons, then the 1A does not apply to modern communications like the Internet! How do you like them apples!?

Founder's Club Member
    From my recollection reading this forum and others AutoZone has no policy on firearms carry by customers outside of what's allowable by law (like Starbucks). In fact I recall some store managers being set straight on AutoZone's hands off policy. I've carried in AutoZones here in VA and in AZ when I lived there and have read numerous carry reports of people doing so elsewhere. I think the only issue is with employees carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by T Dubya View Post
    civil litigation < Dirt nap
    Good point...

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    A comment just went out to Auto Zone from me a moment ago. They will not get my business again.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Woah, so this is the bandit that the police been looking for over a year or so? and this dude meets his maker but then slips away? and the CHP holder loses his job for trying to stop this noob robber? Autozone wont be getting my money, for firing a guy trying to stop robber.

has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.
    Whats theire policy for criminals/robbers?
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-30-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

I don't understand how you can't be held accountable for people's safety, and in the same thought, be able to tell them they have to disarm.

You should be held accountable for others safety in a business, that restricts peoples right.

I still swear today this country biggest problem, is lack of decent common sense, and taking responsibility for when you screw up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I am not allowed to comment on this subject as per employment agreement.

But it wasnt me.
    Mud Blood and Oil with a great dane along for the ride!

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatDaneMan View Post
    I am not allowed to comment on this subject as per employment agreement.

But it wasnt me.
    I bet the "agreement" negotiations on this went something like, "Sign this agreement, OR WORK SOMEPLACE ELSE!"
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Sorta like where I work

I work for a transit agency. The technical term is a government owned instrumentality. As such they are precluded from banning weapons on the vehicles or in the public portions of our buildings. They can and do ban me from carrying openly or concealed. They also ban us from having them in our vehicles but I wonder it that is legal now? User? Skidmark? Citizen? Comments?

I worked for Advance Auto Parts for almost 10 years part time. I quit Labor Day weekend. I always carried even though policy said otherwise. We had several instances of people casing us but being deterred by us or customers because we were observant. I carried a .380 Kel-Tec in summer and a 1911 in winter, until last spring when 3 linebacker size guys walked in at 5:15 and walked behind the counter to find the location of the safe and loudly stated it's right here and then left. I ordered a pocket holster for my Kimber Ultra Carry and carried it until I quit.

Corporate isn't really concerned with employee safety and most of the people I worked with at the end were not really observant and really didn't seem to care about their safety. At one time there were 6 of us carrying while at work. The worst they could do is fire me.

Most of the parts stores allow the public to carry but not employees. I saw quite a few opencarriers were I worked. I always told them of VCDL and OCDO and gave them some info also.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbercarrier View Post
    I worked for Advance Auto Parts for almost 10 years part time. I quit Labor Day weekend. I always carried even though policy said otherwise. We had several instances of people casing us but being deterred by us or customers because we were observant. I carried a .380 Kel-Tec in summer and a 1911 in winter, until last spring when 3 linebacker size guys walked in at 5:15 and walked behind the counter to find the location of the safe and loudly stated it's right here and then left. I ordered a pocket holster for my Kimber Ultra Carry and carried it until I quit.

Corporate isn't really concerned with employee safety and most of the people I worked with at the end were not really observant and really didn't seem to care about their safety. At one time there were 6 of us carrying while at work. The worst they could do is fire me.

Most of the parts stores allow the public to carry but not employees. I saw quite a few opencarriers were I worked. I always told them of VCDL and OCDO and gave them some info also.
    That brings up a question I've always wondered about.

The statute exempts non CHP's in their own place of business. It does not require the owners permission though. The way I read it, Concealed carry at work is legal even if forbidden by the company and the worst that can happen is getting fired.

Opinions????

The statute exempts non CHP's in their own place of business. It does not require the owners permission though. The way I read it, Concealed carry at work is legal even if forbidden by the company and the worst that can happen is getting fired.

Opinions????
    IANAL, but I believe the problem with that is how do you get it out of the store/place of business concealed? You can't leave the building with it like that unless you have a CHP, and if you switch to OC, then your employer might see
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Opinions????
    It says your place if business. Is that the same as your place of employment?

If I work in your store isn't that my place of employment and your place if business?

Do they mean the same thing?

It says your place if business. Is that the same as your place of employment?

If I work in your store isn't that my place of employment and your place if business?

Do they mean the same thing?

It is poor wording as usual. but has always been enforced as the premisses where YOU are employed as opposed to a salesman working but in another company's store.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast