• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auto Zone employee fired for armed resistance

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
I worked for Advance Auto Parts for almost 10 years part time. I quit Labor Day weekend. I always carried even though policy said otherwise. We had several instances of people casing us but being deterred by us or customers because we were observant. I carried a .380 Kel-Tec in summer and a 1911 in winter, until last spring when 3 linebacker size guys walked in at 5:15 and walked behind the counter to find the location of the safe and loudly stated it's right here and then left. I ordered a pocket holster for my Kimber Ultra Carry and carried it until I quit.

Corporate isn't really concerned with employee safety and most of the people I worked with at the end were not really observant and really didn't seem to care about their safety. At one time there were 6 of us carrying while at work. The worst they could do is fire me.

Most of the parts stores allow the public to carry but not employees. I saw quite a few opencarriers were I worked. I always told them of VCDL and OCDO and gave them some info also.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I worked for Advance Auto Parts for almost 10 years part time. I quit Labor Day weekend. I always carried even though policy said otherwise. We had several instances of people casing us but being deterred by us or customers because we were observant. I carried a .380 Kel-Tec in summer and a 1911 in winter, until last spring when 3 linebacker size guys walked in at 5:15 and walked behind the counter to find the location of the safe and loudly stated it's right here and then left. I ordered a pocket holster for my Kimber Ultra Carry and carried it until I quit.

Corporate isn't really concerned with employee safety and most of the people I worked with at the end were not really observant and really didn't seem to care about their safety. At one time there were 6 of us carrying while at work. The worst they could do is fire me.

Most of the parts stores allow the public to carry but not employees. I saw quite a few opencarriers were I worked. I always told them of VCDL and OCDO and gave them some info also.

That brings up a question I've always wondered about.

The statute exempts non CHP's in their own place of business. It does not require the owners permission though. The way I read it, Concealed carry at work is legal even if forbidden by the company and the worst that can happen is getting fired.

Opinions????

Esanders2008

The statute exempts non CHP's in their own place of business. It does not require the owners permission though. The way I read it, Concealed carry at work is legal even if forbidden by the company and the worst that can happen is getting fired.

Opinions????

IANAL, but I believe the problem with that is how do you get it out of the store/place of business concealed? You can't leave the building with it like that unless you have a CHP, and if you switch to OC, then your employer might see :uhoh:

Anonymouse

Opinions????

It says your place if business. Is that the same as your place of employment?

If I work in your store isn't that my place of employment and your place if business?

Do they mean the same thing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It says your place if business. Is that the same as your place of employment?

If I work in your store isn't that my place of employment and your place if business?

Do they mean the same thing?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It is poor wording as usual. but has always been enforced as the premisses where YOU are employed as opposed to a salesman working but in another company's store.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
IANAL, but I believe the problem with that is how do you get it out of the store/place of business concealed? You can't leave the building with it like that unless you have a CHP, and if you switch to OC, then your employer might see :uhoh:

The parking lot is part of the stores curtilage. That is an interesting issue though and we have discussed using it as a front door to a constitutional carry bill.

Baked on Grease

With all this talk of carrying at work, I think it is good to note that Wal-mart and Sam's Club do not have rules against "weapons" at work. Maybe this guy should put in an application over there?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

mpguy

With all this talk of carrying at work, I think it is good to note that Wal-mart and Sam's Club do not have rules against "weapons" at work. Maybe this guy should put in an application over there?

Are you sure on this? I have heard on multiple accounts, that employees may not carry in store, or keep said gun in there vehicle, while an employee of the store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...You can't leave the building with it like that unless you have a CHP...

Even in the privately owned parking lot?

At least you get some private property considerations. In NV, you can't legally conceal in your own house without a permit!

Baked on Grease

Are you sure on this? I have heard on multiple accounts, that employees may not carry in store, or keep said gun in there vehicle, while an employee of the store.

I am an employee of Sam's and have scoured the Associate Ethics information extensively. Actions are prohibited, not inanimate objects. Now, they may still have issue if I were to OC while on the sales floor, (they could cite dress code issues I guess) but there is technically no rule against it on a corporate level at least.

Sam Walton, from everything I have read of the man, was a Rights loving red blooded American through and through.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I work for a transit agency. The technical term is a government owned instrumentality. As such they are precluded from banning weapons on the vehicles or in the public portions of our buildings. They can and do ban me from carrying openly or concealed. They also ban us from having them in our vehicles but I wonder it that is legal now? User? Skidmark? Citizen? Comments?

Under what sort of circumstances?

carcrazycorey1

I'm currently employed with AAP and they are strict about carrying as well, so I just don't simply do it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Really?? Now that's just plain crazy. How can they possibly enforce such a law when it is your property?

Seriously. Granted, that aspect it is not aggressively enforced, but it is there if, say, the cops bust a party at your house and find out you are carrying, it could get added. It's a known oversight in our laws. You'll find a few threads in the NV forum where it gets talked about. It mostly affects us in that we can't conceal at businesses, even with their permission, without a permit.

It does have advantages when open carrying. If a business asks one of us to cover it up, we can tell them that they are asking us to commit a felony.

Last edited:

half_life1052

Under what sort of circumstances?
According to the rule book, all circumstances. The law forces them to accept open carry by customers indicating to me that all of the rules should apply but I have been told that the recent law concerning vehicle storage doesn't apply. Go figure.

mpguy

I am an employee of Sam's and have scoured the Associate Ethics information extensively. Actions are prohibited, not inanimate objects. Now, they may still have issue if I were to OC while on the sales floor, (they could cite dress code issues I guess) but there is technically no rule against it on a corporate level at least.

Sam Walton, from everything I have read of the man, was a Rights loving red blooded American through and through.

Hmm..this is news..and I'm looking for a 2nd job as well.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
According to the rule book, all circumstances. The law forces them to accept open carry by customers indicating to me that all of the rules should apply but I have been told that the recent law concerning vehicle storage doesn't apply. Go figure.

What law forces them to accept open carry by customers? Cite please.

There is no law/statute concerning vehicle storage of a gun on private property.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

But they cannot dictate how and what you do when off their property and/or on your own time.... right?

half_life1052

What law forces them to accept open carry by customers? Cite please.

There is no law/statute concerning vehicle storage of a gun on private property.

I think that you missed a key piece of information. The company is a Transit Co. that is owned by the local municipality. To bar people from carrying on the buses or in the building is equal to the city banning guns in parks.