• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Auto Zone employee fired for armed resistance

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Excellent thread Old Virginia Joe.

My first reaction is "well, I'll never go to Auto Zone again", but I'll bet Napa, Carquest, Pep Boys, Federated, etc. etc. is probably no different. I'm shocked to find out that the "Bearded Bandit" has hit so many places, but then again, he's probably robbing mass-murder-zones (aka gun-free-zones). The former Auto Zone employee had courage, and with the exception of him refering to his pistol as a weapon seems to have his head on straight and is committed to be a decent person willing to take a stand against those that would harm us.

I just hope it works out for him. If I had a shop, or a business I would want to employ a man like him.

BTW, the article is taking comments. I don't see any blatant anti comments (yet), just a fence sitter. If you can, leave a comment. This would be a good opportunity to educate the public on why anti-life policies are a failure.

Last edited:

Anonymouse

My first reaction is "well, I'll never go to Auto Zone again", but I'll bet Napa, Carquest, Pep Boys, Federated, etc. etc. is probably no different. I'm shocked to find out that the "Bearded Bandit" has hit so many places, but then again, he's probably robbing mass-murder-zones (aka gun-free-zones). The former Auto Zone employee had courage, and with the exception of him refering to his pistol as a weapon seems to have his head on straight and is committed to be a decent person willing to take a stand against those that would harm us.

I just hope it works out for him. If I had a shop, or a business I would want to employ a man like him.

Not that I agree but wouldn't defending yourself in a store as an employee open up Autozone to civil litigation should the perp or other customers get hurt?

Heck, where I am you can't even chase or molest shoplifters in most stores.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

OC for ME

What can one do. Autozone is a private business. Boycott Autozone and pass the word. Inform corporate that a boycott is in effect and let. Tough on the store employees, and the manager, he seemed to appreciate the assistance. A public awareness campaign for Mr. McClean and his plight is needed. The locals, and surrounding areas need to speak up. The boycott should not focus on workplace carry, Mr. McClean followed company policy because he had to go to his vehicle to retrieve his firearm. This is about Autozone and their policies on employee safety in the workplace.

Autozone does not support your unalienable right to self defense as a Autozone employee.

E-mail sent to Autozone corporate.

To Whom it may concern,

A former Autozone employee, Mr. McClean, who was terminated two days after thwarting a armed robbery attempt at one of you stores, was in compliance with company policy regarding firearms....until he thwarted that armed robbery attempt.

Your application of your zero tolerance policy on firearms in Mr. McClean's incident is draconian and a clear message that Autozone does not support a citizen's unalienable right to lawful self-defense, and the lawful defense of others in accordance with the applicable laws of Virginia.

I am calling for a boycott of Autozone stores until Mr. McClean is reinstated to his former position.

Respectfully
OC for ME
Missouri
Autozone's comment page will not permit any Interwebs links to be included in the comment.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
Not that I agree but wouldn't defending yourself in a store as an employee open up Autozone to civil litigation should the perp or other customers get hurt?

civil litigation < Dirt nap

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
So they have a policy against employees having a firearm inside the store. I guess he should have held the door open and stood outside the threshold to confront the bandit. These policies are so stupid it's not funny. All they do is make victims out of the employees.

OC for ME

Civil litigation from who? The relatives of a potentially deceased disguised bandit?

It seems that the laws of Virginia would need to be researched to determine if a civil case could be brought against Autozone for either the actions of a employee or the inaction(s) of Autozone Corporate. Now, if Mr. McClean acted outside of Virginia law then termination would seem appropriate. If Mr. McClean acted within Virginia law then his termination is a Autozone Mr. McClean issue, and by extension a self-defense issue.

The news story provides no details on the legality aspect of the incident.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I do not live in Virginia. But there are two autozones in my neighborhood. I sent a similar email (sim to OCfME) to az's corporate. I will assist in the boycott until he is rehired. We must stand together or we will surely be hung separately.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Good post Joe!
I carry in Autozone at least once a week. I wonder if Corporate has a NO GUNS policy for customers?

davidmcbeth

Banned
AutoZone's policy on robbers: Resistance is futile. Plus, we will fire you.

I assume they wish not to encourage employees from such activity....

One should ask during the interview: hey, if a dude comes in to rob me with a weapon, can I blow him away with my .357? Please say yes.

VApatriot

Edit:

I miss-read the story the first time and thought that Mr. McClean was able to hold the suspect there.

Regardless, in my opinion, he acted perfectly, and he should get his job back ASAP. Why the heck wouldn't you want I guy like this working for you?! He followed all of the rule, right up to the point where he put his own life at risk to protect other employees. I would love to work with a guy like that!

Last edited:

Old Virginia Joe

response strategy?

Good post Joe!
I carry in Autozone at least once a week. I wonder if Corporate has a NO GUNS policy for customers?

Thanks, PN. Good question! Maybe we should go in there OC, and just "look around." When they ask if they can help you, just say, no, I'm not buying anything here because of the corporate policy on employee firearms, and walk out. A dozen of those incidents might get some one's attention?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
From my recollection reading this forum and others AutoZone has no policy on firearms carry by customers outside of what's allowable by law (like Starbucks). In fact I recall some store managers being set straight on AutoZone's hands off policy. I've carried in AutoZones here in VA and in AZ when I lived there and have read numerous carry reports of people doing so elsewhere. I think the only issue is with employees carrying.

ocholsteroc

Woah, so this is the bandit that the police been looking for over a year or so? and this dude meets his maker but then slips away? and the CHP holder loses his job for trying to stop this noob robber? Autozone wont be getting my money, for firing a guy trying to stop robber.

has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.
Whats theire policy for criminals/robbers? :uhoh:

Last edited:

mpguy

I don't understand how you can't be held accountable for people's safety, and in the same thought, be able to tell them they have to disarm.

You should be held accountable for others safety in a business, that restricts peoples right.

I still swear today this country biggest problem, is lack of decent common sense, and taking responsibility for when you screw up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

half_life1052

Sorta like where I work

I work for a transit agency. The technical term is a government owned instrumentality. As such they are precluded from banning weapons on the vehicles or in the public portions of our buildings. They can and do ban me from carrying openly or concealed. They also ban us from having them in our vehicles but I wonder it that is legal now? User? Skidmark? Citizen? Comments?