• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What your CPL application shows

Stein

I had a chance to review the report that is ran when you apply or renew your WA CPL and found it interesting. In particular, it settled in my mind the question of whether a gun registry exists.

The first page shows others with names and DOB similar to mine using a WA state database.

Page 2 shows the criminal records for those with similar names and DOB and mentions that there was no exact match for me using a WA state database.

Page 3 shows my NCIC report showing no records from NCIC, III, and NICS.

Page 4 is from NCIC as well, I think it searched for felony records, extraditions, misdemeanors but it isn't clear.

Page 5 is a DOL search showing height, weight, eye, hair, address, no DUI, accidents and my motorcycle endorsement.

Page 6 is a DOL search showing address, height, weight, hair, eyes, any distinguishing marks, citizenship, alias, prior CPL number & expiration, issuing agency and a description of every handgun I have bought from an FFL going back almost 15 years. Under "DESCRIPTION OF CURRENTLY OWNED FIREARMS" it shows the purchase date, gun type, serial, maker, caliber, barrel length and who I bought it from. Again, it appears to be a state search and I have no way of knowing if this is a federal database, state or both, but it is there in black and white.

Page 7 appears to be a list of my interactions with the police (I think it was when we had a problem with a neighbor's dog), but I'm not entirely sure.

Right or wrong, that's the information available and what the police or sheriff see when you apply or renew.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
If this is the information that pops up then I would argue that the report cannot be required as it contains information totally irrelevant to the application process.

deanf

Some agencies create reports not required by law, others do not. Your "list of contacts with police" and your FFL purchase records report are not required by law, but are probably run as a matter of curiosity. Pages 1-4, as you describe them, sound like the required-by-law inquires (WACIC/NCIC/III) - everything else is just fluff.

This sort of "packet" of reports probably varies by agency.

What's my "citation?" I have personally processed more than one of these applications. While that was a while ago, I have continued to monitor the law as it relates to CPL applications and approvals, and the requirements and practices have changed very little.

Last edited:

dadada

I had a chance to review the report that is ran when you apply or renew your WA CPL and found it interesting. In particular, it settled in my mind the question of whether a gun registry exists.

The first page shows others with names and DOB similar to mine using a WA state database.

Page 2 shows the criminal records for those with similar names and DOB and mentions that there was no exact match for me using a WA state database.

Page 4 is from NCIC as well, I think it searched for felony records, extraditions, misdemeanors but it isn't clear.

Page 5 is a DOL search showing height, weight, eye, hair, address, no DUI, accidents and my motorcycle endorsement.

Page 6 is a DOL search showing address, height, weight, hair, eyes, any distinguishing marks, citizenship, alias, prior CPL number & expiration, issuing agency and a description of every handgun I have bought from an FFL going back almost 15 years. Under "DESCRIPTION OF CURRENTLY OWNED FIREARMS" it shows the purchase date, gun type, serial, maker, caliber, barrel length and who I bought it from. Again, it appears to be a state search and I have no way of knowing if this is a federal database, state or both, but it is there in black and white.

Page 7 appears to be a list of my interactions with the police (I think it was when we had a problem with a neighbor's dog), but I'm not entirely sure.

Right or wrong, that's the information available and what the police or sheriff see when you apply or renew.

Is this something that anyone can access on themselves, or were you allowed access because you knew "someone"? I'd like to see mine.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Would a freedom of info request be the best way to acquire a copy of this document? I would consider it no different from a "credit" report. It should be available to me in case bad info is being used. Maybe even if good info is being used.

hermannr

The firearm purchase ans CPL app record keeping ("may keep"..ha ha) requirement is anotehr one of Lowry's bunch of SH#$ RCW 9.41.129...originated 1994, modifed 2005. And we just elected Lowry's clone....everyone need to keep on their toes this term, lets not let Inslee be another Lowry.

Dave_pro2a

And you wonder why the gun grabbers want to ban private sales.

(ok, maybe you don't wonder)