Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart vs. Manufacturing

Walmart vs. Manufacturing

I've worked at Walmart, now I do manufacturing work. My Walmart shifts were 8 hours on the clock, with a one hour lunch break (off the clock) and two fifteen minute breaks. At my new job,I work four eleven hours and one nine. Each shift I get one 30 minute lunch and two fifteen mine breaks. I don't have to clock out for lunch, if I stay on site.

Which job is harder?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

What specific actions did you perform at Wal-Mart, and what specific actions do you now perform? How often do you do them, and for what sustained period of time does each repetition last?

Give me a moment to locate my HR notes and I'll throw some other performance metrics at you so we can determine if you are actually "working" as opposed to hanging around waiting for something to happen. (Yes someone tried that as a means of differeing pay scales for firefighters and ambulance crews. It almost flew until the employees actually walked off the job saying they would come back when "something happened". Seems someone figured out that "hanging around waitting for something to happen" is an integral part of some jobs. I don't think that Wally World comes under that.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

You tell me. I am not the one working your jobs.

I use to work 5 day weeks at 8 + hours a day.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post

Which job is harder?

That one.

How about a job where you are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year-round? And when you are called, your "day" can run as much as 72 hours with the only breaks the ones you can grab while waiting for a part? Oh, yeah, the work was mostly outside with no regard for the weather or time of day.

If you were not tired, cold, wet, and hungry, all at the same time, you knew something was wrong.

The pay wasn't that great either. You got no overtime pay.

I think either Wal Mart or manufacturing are better.
    Last edited by SFCRetired; 12-01-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: added sentence
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
    How about a job where you are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year-round? And when you are called, your "day" can run as much as 72 hours with the only breaks the ones you can grab while waiting for a part? Oh, yeah, the work was mostly outside with no regard for the weather or time of day.

If you were not tired, cold, wet, and hungry, all at the same time, you knew something was wrong.

So you were a soldier.

Lol, I think I would rather join the military again than work at Walmart and the people who know me know how I feel about the military.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Banned

A hooker?

I don't think General Hooker put in those kind of hours either before or after Bobby Lee defeated him at Chancellorsville.

I was in the HAWK missile system for way too many years. I wouldn't do it again, but I am not only proud of that service, but I am also proud of my son who has followed in my footsteps.
    "Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

I have been in the military, I have worked for others, even spent a couple weeks as a manager in big box retail, and I have worked for myself.

Hardest job? Working for yourself (you not only have to think about yourself, you have to think about those that work for you..do they have the tools they need to be productive, yet not bored?). Next, the military, (again, because you have to think about all those under you), next salaried position for someone else (long hours, no ot)...I put Big Box retail at the bottom, thought it probably was the most frustrating and least satisfying...it most definately was not challanging.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    A hooker?
    SFC=Sergeant First Class.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 12-01-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: spelling error

Re: Walmart vs. Manufacturing

While soldiers are not paid a proper wage for the work they do, you can live off a soldier's pay. Which is twice that of Walmart starting day one, three fold just six months in.

Is someone forcing you to take that Wal-Mart job for that pay? Or is it possible to simply walk away?

It kills me that so many people are complaining about Wal-Mart pay and hours, as if they had no other choice...

If you don't like the pay, leave.

Don't like the hours, walk out.

Hate the boss, go be your own (and trust me, HE's a bigger a$$hole than the old boss )

But don't be like those few fools over the thanksgiving weekend picketing and complaining about it, you'll only get laughed at... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    Is someone forcing you to take that Wal-Mart job for that pay? Or is it possible to simply walk away?

It kills me that so many people are complaining about Wal-Mart pay and hours, as if they had no other choice...

If you don't like the pay, leave.

Don't like the hours, walk out.

Hate the boss, go be your own (and trust me, HE's a bigger a$$hole than the old boss )

But don't be like those few fools over the thanksgiving weekend picketing and complaining about it, you'll only get laughed at... LOL.
    Maybe, but being forced to work more or less.
    You can't just own land any more and hope be self sufficient. The government dictates the taxes value and so you end up have to work for a living. Then once you start working for a living they want to tax your work too. Then if some land destroying company (developer) wants your land they can have the taxed value climb even higher.

Yes there are ways to live off of your own land but the cost is so high to get started that most people can't do it and ending being "forced" into working a some place like Wally World or Fred's Automotive.

To make it worse the number of jobs is dropping and the number of people needing to work is climbing. That kinda forces someone to keep what job they have unless they wish to become homeless.

I've worked at Walmart, now I do manufacturing work.
    Quote Originally Posted by xd shooter View Post
    Note that I in fact do not work at Walmart, but I left and work a better paying job now.

But that is only because I am incredibly lucky. I knew a structural engineer that gave me an excellent reference for this job and probably wouldn't have gotten the job without it.

Yes, I was forced to work retail. I have been my own boss before, I have also worked construction and I worked at a go kart track as a manager.

But over the last three years, until I got my current job, the only options available for me were retail. Unless I wanted to go homeless, I had to work at Walmart.

Owning your own business sounds great and it is. But without the capital to start, owning a business is pure fantasy.

Not everyone can snap their fingers and magically obtain a better job with better pay. And if you can't, then you are forced to work for crappy employers like Walmart.

As for mocking those that went on strike to demand respect and better pay; you mean that people who demand an appropriate level of pay and to be respected deserve ridicule?

A strange argument. I don't like my job (or the pay, or my boss, or the changing rooms, or whatever) so it's my employers fault.

As to striking workers, I really enjoyed reading about the cake decorating lady who tried to organize other workers to strike, ended up being the only one to walk out and is now looking for another job decorating cakes. Personal choices have consequences, and I applaud her principles in standing up for a $0.30 raise for her cake decorating skills and getting fired for not working her shift. Perhaps she could hook up with the baker's union and work for Hostess...

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    A strange argument. I don't like my job (or the pay, or my boss, or the changing rooms, or whatever) so it's my employers fault.

As to striking workers, I really enjoyed reading about the cake decorating lady who tried to organize other workers to strike, ended up being the only one to walk out and is now looking for another job decorating cakes. Personal choices have consequences, and I applaud her principles in standing up for a $0.30 raise for her cake decorating skills and getting fired for not working her shift. Perhaps she could hook up with the baker's union and work for Hostess...
    Don't go there. The Hostess thing was not about the union. The union was the part that was sold to tbe masses, hell even I bought it at first.

Yeah, if you aren't getting paid enough, if your boss is an ******* it is your employer's fault. Your employer picks your boss and decides your pay.

Really? So you take joy in the suffering of others?

As for Hostess, they went under do to mismanagement not because of unions.

Yeah, if you aren't getting paid enough, if your boss is an ******* it is your employer's fault. Your employer picks your boss and decides your pay.

Really? So you take joy in the suffering of others?

As for Hostess, they went under do to mismanagement not because of unions.

If your employer is such a ********, stop whining and quite. Why would you want to work for a ********?

The cake decorator made a decision. Freedom is sometimes messy. She will be fine. People buy cakes every day and that is an invaluable skill set.

Yeah, I'm sure the union had nothing to do with it. Thanks for enlightening me.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Don't go there. The Hostess thing was not about the union. The union was the part that was sold to tbe masses, hell even I bought it at first.
    If you say so. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the Walmart sucks meem, so I won't go there any more. Thanks for the heads up.

Activist Member
    While soldiers are not paid a proper wage for the work they do, you can live off a soldier's pay. Which is twice that of Walmart starting day one, three fold just six months in.

Where did you come up with this statement? Soldiers start out as an E-1 (unless they have previous service or a college degree) and get paid $1,350 per month. A soldier's pay does not double after six months. Going from an E-1 to an E-3 only raises your monthly pay by a couple hundred dollars, and it normally takes longer than six months to reach E-3.

On top of these figures, a soldier also gets certain bonuses if deployed to another country, and the amount of the bonuses depends on the country and the country's current conditions.

If you are in Iraq or Afghanistan you will likely receive Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger pay, which is $225 a month. Remember, this is only in very strict cirumstances.

You can get Hardship Duty Pay, which is around $100 in Iraq and Afghanistan depending on certain circumstances.

If you are overseas for combat you can receive Federal Income Tax exclusion, which most states follow this as well. Certain other earnings are also tax exempt if they fall under specific categories.

You really don't get any other bonuses unless you are married or have dependants. This is nowhere near triple what someone starts at with Walmart, which is around $1,200 per month.

Our soldiers do not get anywhere near the pay they deserve when they are serving in a combat-zone. Our soldiers should get paid what every member of Congress makes so that it stays fair. Congress gets paid much more than our soldiers for setting in a chair. That isn't fair.

But relly we shouldn't have ANY soldiers overseas right now! They should ALL be home. We shouldn't be in Iraq or Afghanistan, nor should we be in the other countries we have destroyed and held hostage.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Maybe we should have an all volunteer army, I wonder how many would sign up to go kill and be killed then?
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Walmart pay, starting out, is around $800 a month, hardly $1200.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    What specific actions did you perform at Wal-Mart, and what specific actions do you now perform? How often do you do them, and for what sustained period of time does each repetition last?

Give me a moment to locate my HR notes and I'll throw some other performance metrics at you so we can determine if you are actually "working" as opposed to hanging around waiting for something to happen. (Yes someone tried that as a means of differeing pay scales for firefighters and ambulance crews. It almost flew until the employees actually walked off the job saying they would come back when "something happened". Seems someone figured out that "hanging around waitting for something to happen" is an integral part of some jobs. I don't think that Wally World comes under that.)

stay safe.
    The terminology used in labor law is "engaged to wait", versus "waiting to engage". The standard to be met is that if the time spent is required by and to the benefit of the employer, it is compensable time.

Firefighters sitting around the station playing cards, working out, watching TV and sleeping are "engaged to wait" and must be paid for their time. Same for a fast food cashier twiddling her thumbs waiting for a customer to walk in on a slow day. Or, you have the case of miners who must take a long 30 minute elevator/train ride to their work sites. Because this transit time doesn't benefit the employer, it's not compensable; all that time getting to the job site is "waiting to engage".

I can dig up the cites if you want them. Meanwhile, here's a fact sheet from DoL: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...m#.ULxYxoPAdfY

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    dont we already ?
    I believe he means unpaid volunteers. Like those people who volunteer to help fill sandbags during emergencies.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    I believe he means unpaid volunteers. Like those people who volunteer to help fill sandbags during emergencies.
    Yep.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast