• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart vs. Manufacturing

Jack House

I've worked at Walmart, now I do manufacturing work. My Walmart shifts were 8 hours on the clock, with a one hour lunch break (off the clock) and two fifteen minute breaks. At my new job,I work four eleven hours and one nine. Each shift I get one 30 minute lunch and two fifteen mine breaks. I don't have to clock out for lunch, if I stay on site.

Which job is harder?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Ca Patriot

Need more details.

I worked a job off loading 18 wheelers and it was 6 hours a day because it was so physically demanding.

Then I worked a job on film sets for 14 hour days and it was a breeze.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
What specific actions did you perform at Wal-Mart, and what specific actions do you now perform? How often do you do them, and for what sustained period of time does each repetition last?

Give me a moment to locate my HR notes and I'll throw some other performance metrics at you so we can determine if you are actually "working" as opposed to hanging around waiting for something to happen. (Yes someone tried that as a means of differeing pay scales for firefighters and ambulance crews. It almost flew until the employees actually walked off the job saying they would come back when "something happened". Seems someone figured out that "hanging around waitting for something to happen" is an integral part of some jobs. I don't think that Wally World comes under that.)

stay safe.

SFCRetired

How about a job where you are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year-round? And when you are called, your "day" can run as much as 72 hours with the only breaks the ones you can grab while waiting for a part? Oh, yeah, the work was mostly outside with no regard for the weather or time of day.

If you were not tired, cold, wet, and hungry, all at the same time, you knew something was wrong.

The pay wasn't that great either. You got no overtime pay.

I think either Wal Mart or manufacturing are better.

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

How about a job where you are on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year-round? And when you are called, your "day" can run as much as 72 hours with the only breaks the ones you can grab while waiting for a part? Oh, yeah, the work was mostly outside with no regard for the weather or time of day.

If you were not tired, cold, wet, and hungry, all at the same time, you knew something was wrong.

So you were a soldier.

Lol, I think I would rather join the military again than work at Walmart and the people who know me know how I feel about the military.

davidmcbeth

Banned

A hooker?:shocker:

SFCRetired

I don't think General Hooker put in those kind of hours either before or after Bobby Lee defeated him at Chancellorsville.

I was in the HAWK missile system for way too many years. I wouldn't do it again, but I am not only proud of that service, but I am also proud of my son who has followed in my footsteps.

hermannr

I have been in the military, I have worked for others, even spent a couple weeks as a manager in big box retail, and I have worked for myself.

Hardest job? Working for yourself (you not only have to think about yourself, you have to think about those that work for you..do they have the tools they need to be productive, yet not bored?). Next, the military, (again, because you have to think about all those under you), next salaried position for someone else (long hours, no ot)...I put Big Box retail at the bottom, thought it probably was the most frustrating and least satisfying...it most definately was not challanging.

Jack House

While soldiers are not paid a proper wage for the work they do, you can live off a soldier's pay. Which is twice that of Walmart starting day one, three fold just six months in.

xd shooter

Is someone forcing you to take that Wal-Mart job for that pay? Or is it possible to simply walk away?

It kills me that so many people are complaining about Wal-Mart pay and hours, as if they had no other choice...

If you don't like the pay, leave.

Don't like the hours, walk out.

Hate the boss, go be your own (and trust me, HE's a bigger a$$hole than the old boss :) )

But don't be like those few fools over the thanksgiving weekend picketing and complaining about it, you'll only get laughed at... LOL.

Freedom1Man

Is someone forcing you to take that Wal-Mart job for that pay? Or is it possible to simply walk away?

It kills me that so many people are complaining about Wal-Mart pay and hours, as if they had no other choice...

If you don't like the pay, leave.

Don't like the hours, walk out.

Hate the boss, go be your own (and trust me, HE's a bigger a$$hole than the old boss :) )

But don't be like those few fools over the thanksgiving weekend picketing and complaining about it, you'll only get laughed at... LOL.

Maybe, but being forced to work more or less.
You can't just own land any more and hope be self sufficient. The government dictates the taxes value and so you end up have to work for a living. Then once you start working for a living they want to tax your work too. Then if some land destroying company (developer) wants your land they can have the taxed value climb even higher.

Yes there are ways to live off of your own land but the cost is so high to get started that most people can't do it and ending being "forced" into working a some place like Wally World or Fred's Automotive.

To make it worse the number of jobs is dropping and the number of people needing to work is climbing. That kinda forces someone to keep what job they have unless they wish to become homeless.

Jack House

I've worked at Walmart, now I do manufacturing work.

Note that I in fact do not work at Walmart, but I left and work a better paying job now.

But that is only because I am incredibly lucky. I knew a structural engineer that gave me an excellent reference for this job and probably wouldn't have gotten the job without it.

Yes, I was forced to work retail. I have been my own boss before, I have also worked construction and I worked at a go kart track as a manager.

But over the last three years, until I got my current job, the only options available for me were retail. Unless I wanted to go homeless, I had to work at Walmart.

Owning your own business sounds great and it is. But without the capital to start, owning a business is pure fantasy.

Not everyone can snap their fingers and magically obtain a better job with better pay. And if you can't, then you are forced to work for crappy employers like Walmart.

As for mocking those that went on strike to demand respect and better pay; you mean that people who demand an appropriate level of pay and to be respected deserve ridicule?

John Canuck

A strange argument. I don't like my job (or the pay, or my boss, or the changing rooms, or whatever) so it's my employers fault.

As to striking workers, I really enjoyed reading about the cake decorating lady who tried to organize other workers to strike, ended up being the only one to walk out and is now looking for another job decorating cakes. Personal choices have consequences, and I applaud her principles in standing up for a $0.30 raise for her cake decorating skills and getting fired for not working her shift. Perhaps she could hook up with the baker's union and work for Hostess...

Freedom1Man

A strange argument. I don't like my job (or the pay, or my boss, or the changing rooms, or whatever) so it's my employers fault.

As to striking workers, I really enjoyed reading about the cake decorating lady who tried to organize other workers to strike, ended up being the only one to walk out and is now looking for another job decorating cakes. Personal choices have consequences, and I applaud her principles in standing up for a $0.30 raise for her cake decorating skills and getting fired for not working her shift. Perhaps she could hook up with the baker's union and work for Hostess...

Don't go there. The Hostess thing was not about the union. The union was the part that was sold to tbe masses, hell even I bought it at first.

Jack House

Yeah, if you aren't getting paid enough, if your boss is an ******* it is your employer's fault. Your employer picks your boss and decides your pay.

Really? So you take joy in the suffering of others?

As for Hostess, they went under do to mismanagement not because of unions.

John Canuck

Yeah, if you aren't getting paid enough, if your boss is an ******* it is your employer's fault. Your employer picks your boss and decides your pay.

Really? So you take joy in the suffering of others?

As for Hostess, they went under do to mismanagement not because of unions.

If your employer is such a ********, stop whining and quite. Why would you want to work for a ********?

The cake decorator made a decision. Freedom is sometimes messy. She will be fine. People buy cakes every day and that is an invaluable skill set.

Yeah, I'm sure the union had nothing to do with it. Thanks for enlightening me.

John Canuck

Don't go there. The Hostess thing was not about the union. The union was the part that was sold to tbe masses, hell even I bought it at first.

If you say so. Anyway, it has nothing to do with the Walmart sucks meem, so I won't go there any more. Thanks for the heads up.