• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart vs. Manufacturing

KYGlockster

Activist Member
While soldiers are not paid a proper wage for the work they do, you can live off a soldier's pay. Which is twice that of Walmart starting day one, three fold just six months in.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Where did you come up with this statement? Soldiers start out as an E-1 (unless they have previous service or a college degree) and get paid $1,350 per month. A soldier's pay does not double after six months. Going from an E-1 to an E-3 only raises your monthly pay by a couple hundred dollars, and it normally takes longer than six months to reach E-3.

On top of these figures, a soldier also gets certain bonuses if deployed to another country, and the amount of the bonuses depends on the country and the country's current conditions.

If you are in Iraq or Afghanistan you will likely receive Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger pay, which is $225 a month. Remember, this is only in very strict cirumstances.

You can get Hardship Duty Pay, which is around $100 in Iraq and Afghanistan depending on certain circumstances.

If you are overseas for combat you can receive Federal Income Tax exclusion, which most states follow this as well. Certain other earnings are also tax exempt if they fall under specific categories.

You really don't get any other bonuses unless you are married or have dependants. This is nowhere near triple what someone starts at with Walmart, which is around $1,200 per month.

Our soldiers do not get anywhere near the pay they deserve when they are serving in a combat-zone. Our soldiers should get paid what every member of Congress makes so that it stays fair. Congress gets paid much more than our soldiers for setting in a chair. That isn't fair.

But relly we shouldn't have ANY soldiers overseas right now! They should ALL be home. We shouldn't be in Iraq or Afghanistan, nor should we be in the other countries we have destroyed and held hostage.

Jack House

Walmart pay, starting out, is around $800 a month, hardly $1200.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

KBCraig

What specific actions did you perform at Wal-Mart, and what specific actions do you now perform? How often do you do them, and for what sustained period of time does each repetition last?

Give me a moment to locate my HR notes and I'll throw some other performance metrics at you so we can determine if you are actually "working" as opposed to hanging around waiting for something to happen. (Yes someone tried that as a means of differeing pay scales for firefighters and ambulance crews. It almost flew until the employees actually walked off the job saying they would come back when "something happened". Seems someone figured out that "hanging around waitting for something to happen" is an integral part of some jobs. I don't think that Wally World comes under that.)

stay safe.

The terminology used in labor law is "engaged to wait", versus "waiting to engage". The standard to be met is that if the time spent is required by and to the benefit of the employer, it is compensable time.

Firefighters sitting around the station playing cards, working out, watching TV and sleeping are "engaged to wait" and must be paid for their time. Same for a fast food cashier twiddling her thumbs waiting for a customer to walk in on a slow day. Or, you have the case of miners who must take a long 30 minute elevator/train ride to their work sites. Because this transit time doesn't benefit the employer, it's not compensable; all that time getting to the job site is "waiting to engage".

I can dig up the cites if you want them. Meanwhile, here's a fact sheet from DoL: http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.htm#.ULxYxoPAdfY