• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ihop anti-2a??

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
Owned by the same person

Also a quick google search turns up NO information on this IHOP being robbed or anyone shot and killed. I think this story is a fabrication on management's part, and conflicts with the story told to me by the assistant manager.
ETA: I did find this, but notice the date. http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/police-investigate-shooting-in-norfolk
And also note that the shooting occurred outside and no one was "paraded around." Just another reason to carry everywhere, everyday.

I had the same issue with the IHOP on Warwick Blvd I posted all about it in the Hampton Roads Thread.

I spoke with the Manager and the Owner and both gave me the same song and Dance. Although I have verbal permission to CC at his restaurants. I will not eat there again.

The owner of the my IHOP said his other IHOP (your Ihop) he had to post no guns, he also related a story of a CCer that tried to help foil a robbery killed a bystander. (didn't buy it for a second)..

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
Also a quick google search turns up NO information on this IHOP being robbed or anyone shot and killed. I think this story is a fabrication on management's part, and conflicts with the story told to me by the assistant manager.
ETA: I did find this, but notice the date. http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/police-investigate-shooting-in-norfolk
And also note that the shooting occurred outside and no one was "paraded around." Just another reason to carry everywhere, everyday.

That is exactly what he told me about his IHOP in newport news. That the staff was Paraded all around the restaurant and terrorized by the gunman. So much that the Staff can not bear the sight of a gun...

:(

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Freeflight

Campaign Veteran
There will be no help from Corporate

Well I will get to the bottom of this. Just waiting on corporate. Time will tell friends.

These stores are franchise stores and corporate policy is no good, the franchisee can decide about firearms...(I talked to corporate too and this is what they told me)

But perhaps you will get farther than I did with them...

Esanders2008

These stores are franchise stores and corporate policy is no good, the franchisee can decide about firearms...(I talked to corporate too and this is what they told me)

But perhaps you will get farther than I did with them...

I have a copy of a letter that was sent to a man in Michigan. It states that individual franchise locations do not have the authority to decide, and must follow corporate's policy, which is to follow state law.

Esanders2008

I think maybe he exaggerated just a little, tiny bit.

"The most recent robbery happened about 2:40 a.m. Wednesday at the IHOP located at 15447 Warwick Blvd., police wrote in a news release. Three men demanded cash and fled."
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/03/newport-news-police-seek-men-ihop-robberies

I just read this, and what upsets me is these men came in wearing gloves, masks, hoods, etc.. While I often wear a <s>hoodie</s> hooded sweatshirt, I don't think it is fair to lump armed robbers into the same basket as LACs...

Esanders2008

Just got off the phone with IHOP corporate. While it is true that they instruct the franchise to follow all laws, they said I would have to talk to the local franchise manager.
They gave me a case number and said I should hear back within 4 business days.

I also called the manager's cell and left a message for him to call me.

Esanders2008

I just got off the phone with the Franchise owner. He told me that Norfolk PD is now providing security for him and they demanded the sign be placed there. He told me he is an NRA member and appreciates guns as much as the next guy. I gave my arguments and he said if NPD allows it, he will remove the signs, but if anyone dies in his store it is on my head.:banghead:

ETA: This is beginning to get on my nerves. This man also basically said that every time there has been an incident where one of the customers was armed, innocent people got hurt.

His phone number is 757-652-3030. Just ask for the franchise owner of the warwick blvd and military HWY locations, as I couldn't catch his name :/

Call him and tell him how you feel!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I just got off the phone with the Franchise owner. He told me that Norfolk PD is now providing security for him and they demanded the sign be placed there. He told me he is an NRA member and appreciates guns as much as the next guy. I gave my arguments and he said if NPD allows it, he will remove the signs, but if anyone dies in his store it is on my head.:banghead:

ETA: This is beginning to get on my nerves. This man also basically said that every time there has been an incident where one of the customers was armed, innocent people got hurt.

His phone number is 757-652-3030. Just ask for the franchise owner of the warwick blvd and military HWY locations, as I couldn't catch his name :/

You should have recorded the call!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

He is either ignorant of how things work or considers you stupid enough to swallow that yarn.

Norfolk PD does not provide security - he may hire off-duty police officer(s), but then they would be his employee(s). In either case, neither the officer nor the department is in a position to "demand" anything regarding signage - that is reserved to the private property owner.

Armed customers = innocents hurt? Oh yeh, like the one's we haven't been reading about because they haven't been occurring. May have to face that he is apparently one of the antis that will make up (lie?) stories to suit their needs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know how... :/

41eW7A-tFxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-TP-8-...70&sr=8-2&keywords=telephone+recording+device

Esanders2008

He is either ignorant of how things work or considers you stupid enough to swallow that yarn.

Norfolk PD does not provide security - he may hire off-duty police officer(s), but then they would be his employee(s). In either case, neither the officer nor the department is in a position to "demand" anything regarding signage - that is reserved to the private property owner.

Armed customers = innocents hurt? Oh yeh, like the one's we haven't been reading about because they haven't been occurring. May have to face that he is apparently one of the antis that will make up (lie?) stories to suit their needs.

Well I called the NPD Chief of Polices office and spoke to an officer there. She confirmed that NPD officers may in fact provide security while they are in uniform, but when I asked about NPD demanding a sign be put into place, she put me on a brief hold, and when she came back, told me that Capt. Ryan will call me back, as he is going to have to research what is going on. All in all, they were pretty helpful.

I think we need to come together and really make a stand against this man's blatant storytelling.

EDIT: I want to clarify something I said. When NPD LEOs are providing security, they do so as his employees, as Grapeshot said. Sorry for the ambiguous wording.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well I called the NPD Chief of Polices office and spoke to an officer there. She confirmed that NPD officers may in fact provide security while they are in uniform, but when I asked about NPD demanding a sign be put into place, she put me on a brief hold, and when she came back, told me that Capt. Ryan will call me back, as he is going to have to research what is going on. All in all, they were pretty helpful.

I think we need to come together and really make a stand against this man's blatant storytelling.

EDIT: I want to clarify something I said. When NPD LEOs are providing security, they do so as his employees, as Grapeshot said. Sorry for the ambiguous wording.

The NPD isn't going to be any help. Whatever they tell you will be BS and unless you have recordings to compare to each story, each party will just say that isn't what they said.

There are a lot IHOP's. Just start going to a friendly one and emailing the owner of this one the receipts.

Whenever they start with the "I'm in the NRA"....you know you have an anti.

Last edited:

Esanders2008

The NPD isn't going to be any help. Whatever they tell you will be BS and unless you have recordings to compare to each story, each party will just say that isn't what they said.

There are a lot IHOP's. Just start going to a friendly one and emailing the owner of this one the receipts.

Whenever they start with the "I'm in the NRA"....you know you have an anti.

That seems like giving up to me. I want to get to the bottom of all this.

WalkingWolf

Find another IHOP, IMO he is feeding you a line of BS. I would send him a letter that if someone(victim) gets shot in his store it is on him, because you will notify the media that his anti gun stance increased the odds of a shooting.

Esanders2008

Find another IHOP, IMO he is feeding you a line of BS. I would send him a letter that if someone(victim) gets shot in his store it is on him, because you will notify the media that his anti gun stance increased the odds of a shooting.
It's almost as if he really isn't taking me seriously on this, but like I said before, I don't want to give up.