Thread: employer parking lot news WSJ today

employer parking lot news WSJ today

thought some of you would like to read this

sorry cant get link to work
    Last edited by johnc; 12-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Posting FAIL ... Happens to all of us sometimes...
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)

If a posting looks like its funny - its meant to be so-

Banned
    Was this the article?

If so, it is an interesting and biased spin that there is some conflict on rights here. There isn't. If you accept the premise that one's car is an extension of their home, then when an employer allows an employee to park in his lot, he is giving that small piece of property to the employee for his enjoyment as part of his residence, where it is eminently reasonable for one to keep his firearm.

As long as the firearm stays in the car, it is morally (and should be legally) at home.

There is no conflict of rights. The employer still has the right to choose whether he "rents" out part of his property for bits of his employees "homes" or not. Employees still have the right to choose to keep a gun at "home" or not.

On edit: WSJ links suck, so here is part of the article. I guess you have to search for the rest on your own. What asses.

Gun legislation in some Southern states is forcing Republican lawmakers to choose between two core values of their party: the right of business owners to control what happens on their property and people's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Their dilemma is the result of bills pushed by the National Rifle Association that would let employees bring firearms—ranging from handguns, rifles and shotguns—to work and store them in their vehicles, even against an employer's wishes.

About 20 states have passed so-called parking-lot bills since 2004, including an expansion this year of a gun-rights law in Maine. But a split has started to materialize in GOP-controlled legislatures in some of the country's most gun-friendly states. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have refused to support such laws, proving receptive to a push by business groups in those states that have argued that the rules trample on their property rights...
    Last edited by eye95; 12-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.

The way I see it is that if employers allow employees cars to occupy space on their property, what is inside that metal container is irrelevant, whether it's a firearm, books or bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

As long as the firearm stays in the car, it is morally (and should be legally) at home.
    I agree ... but I had an employer with this policy ... I parked on the street...when asked why I said so I can watch it from my officer window (that did not have a window)...
    Do not take any postings to be the opinion of the poster .. poster may be posting opinions of others and not necessarily himself ... carry on

"Filing a notice of trespass with your local, county, state authorities , to keep all town employees off your land, would cut down on the government from interfering or harassing you, at least put you in a little bit stronger legal position" .. chk you local laws (disclaimer)

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post

I agree ... but I had an employer with this policy ... I parked on the street...when asked why I said so I can watch it from my office window (that did not have a window)...

UPS lost a case like this years ago.

UPS had a no guns on property policy and someone had a gun in their car. They were seen putting it back on after work and they were fired.
    He sued and won. I wish I could remember the case I found it a Half Price books one day while looking at law books.
    I found out from a union rep that it was the Redmond Washington building that it happened at.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 12-02-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)