• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

employer parking lot news WSJ today

eye95

Was this the article?

If so, it is an interesting and biased spin that there is some conflict on rights here. There isn't. If you accept the premise that one's car is an extension of their home, then when an employer allows an employee to park in his lot, he is giving that small piece of property to the employee for his enjoyment as part of his residence, where it is eminently reasonable for one to keep his firearm.

As long as the firearm stays in the car, it is morally (and should be legally) at home.

There is no conflict of rights. The employer still has the right to choose whether he "rents" out part of his property for bits of his employees "homes" or not. Employees still have the right to choose to keep a gun at "home" or not.

On edit: WSJ links suck, so here is part of the article. I guess you have to search for the rest on your own. What asses.

Gun legislation in some Southern states is forcing Republican lawmakers to choose between two core values of their party: the right of business owners to control what happens on their property and people's Second Amendment right to bear arms.

Their dilemma is the result of bills pushed by the National Rifle Association that would let employees bring firearms—ranging from handguns, rifles and shotguns—to work and store them in their vehicles, even against an employer's wishes.

About 20 states have passed so-called parking-lot bills since 2004, including an expansion this year of a gun-rights law in Maine. But a split has started to materialize in GOP-controlled legislatures in some of the country's most gun-friendly states. Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have refused to support such laws, proving receptive to a push by business groups in those states that have argued that the rules trample on their property rights...

Last edited:

Keylock

The way I see it is that if employers allow employees cars to occupy space on their property, what is inside that metal container is irrelevant, whether it's a firearm, books or bacon.

davidmcbeth

Banned

As long as the firearm stays in the car, it is morally (and should be legally) at home.

I agree ... but I had an employer with this policy ... I parked on the street...when asked why I said so I can watch it from my officer window (that did not have a window)...

davidmcbeth

Banned

I agree ... but I had an employer with this policy ... I parked on the street...when asked why I said so I can watch it from my office window (that did not have a window)...

Freedom1Man

UPS lost a case like this years ago.

UPS had a no guns on property policy and someone had a gun in their car. They were seen putting it back on after work and they were fired.
He sued and won. I wish I could remember the case I found it a Half Price books one day while looking at law books.
I found out from a union rep that it was the Redmond Washington building that it happened at.

Last edited: