• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here and have a few questions

Just me

Hello every one I am new here and would like to ask a few questions. I carry a Beretta 92, because I can afford to shoot it at least once a month because of the some what affordability of the 9mm, but mainly because it fits my hands well and I am proficient with it. I know some will say for them it is too big which may well be the case but for me it works. So I have had my ltch for about six months now and have until now utilized cc, but I must say that the idea of OC is appealing to me. and would offer some more degree of comfort while carrying. I have had occasion to speak with a few law enforcement officers whose opinion seems to vary. One officer whom I know from my sons school advised that he has no issue with open carry because he clearly knows some one is armed. Which makes sense to me, his other comment was that chances are he knows that you are carrying legally as he has not ever encountered a criminal that carry's in full view in a retention holster. I am not looking stir the pot regarding open carry versus cc carry and there seems to be potential benefits to both methods. It would seem that attitude is every thing and that it is all in how your carry yourself. So when you made the decision to open carry did you ease into it? Did you feel odd when carried out in the open? Did it fade with time? Also what works for you in determining open versus concealed?

Thank You

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello every one I am new here and would like to ask a few questions. I carry a Beretta 92, because I can afford to shoot it at least once a month because of the some what affordability of the 9mm, but mainly because it fits my hands well and I am proficient with it. I know some will say for them it is too big which may well be the case but for me it works. So I have had my ltch for about six months now and have until now utilized cc, but I must say that the idea of OC is appealing to me. and would offer some more degree of comfort while carrying. I have had occasion to speak with a few law enforcement officers whose opinion seems to vary. One officer whom I know from my sons school advised that he has no issue with open carry because he clearly knows some one is armed. Which makes sense to me, his other comment was that chances are he knows that you are carrying legally as he has not ever encountered a criminal that carry's in full view in a retention holster. I am not looking stir the pot regarding open carry versus cc carry and there seems to be potential benefits to both methods. It would seem that attitude is every thing and that it is all in how your carry yourself. So when you made the decision to open carry did you ease into it? Did you feel odd when carried out in the open? Did it fade with time? Also what works for you in determining open versus concealed?

Thank You

Have no idea how close to Chicago is, but you are cautioned to be very aware of your local laws before even thinking about open carrying in Illinois.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=224

To OC in Indiana you will need a concealed permit.
http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=226

When it comes to OC, size is seldom a concern. I and many others OC a full size 1911 daily. Insofar as asking a LEO any legal question, that would normally be our last choice - they should know, but frequently get it wrong.

Benefits: You don't look like the typical, unarmed potential victim - deters crime. Faster response time when the SHTF. Educational benefit to others - normalizes the practice, invites other good people to talk to you.

Disadvantages - none of which I am aware.

Can't really remember when I didn't OC in this lifetime. Feel naked w/o it. :)

griffin

So when you made the decision to open carry did you ease into it?
No, switched 100%, cold turkey. :)
Did you feel odd when carried out in the open? Did it fade with time?
At first, yes. It did fade with time, and it didn't take long at all.
Also what works for you in determining open versus concealed?
Open is easier, more comfortable, easier to access should the need arise, and I can carry a wider choice of handguns easily. The only time I CC is when I carry a back-up gun (BUG) along with my OCed firearm.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

To OC in Indiana you will need a [strike]concealed[/strike] permit.

Indiana has no concealed permit. Indiana has a permit to carry. You cannot carry without it, you can carry any way you want with it.

There, I fixed it for me. :)

cce1302

I see that you say you are "too close to Chicago" and have an Indiana LTCH. I take that to mean that you live in/near Gary or Hammond, not that you live in Illinois, or that you intend to carry there.
Hello every one I am new here and would like to ask a few questions. I carry a Beretta 92, because I can afford to shoot it at least once a month because of the some what affordability of the 9mm, but mainly because it fits my hands well and I am proficient with it. I know some will say for them it is too big which may well be the case but for me it works.
Sounds good to me.
So I have had my ltch for about six months now and have until now utilized cc, but I must say that the idea of OC is appealing to me.
for anybody who doesn't know what LTCH means, this is the License to Carry a Handgun, issued to Indiana residents by the state of Indiana. I'm sure you understand that it licenses you for both open and concealed carry, but I think some of the out of state "advisors" missed it the first time through.
and would offer some more degree of comfort while carrying. I have had occasion to speak with a few law enforcement officers whose opinion seems to vary. One officer whom I know from my sons school advised that he has no issue with open carry because he clearly knows some one is armed. Which makes sense to me, his other comment was that chances are he knows that you are carrying legally as he has not ever encountered a criminal that carry's in full view in a retention holster.
yeah, the opinion of police officers really varies. Luckily for us, officers' opinion is not the law. The only law we have to worry about is codified in IC or USC.
I am not looking stir the pot regarding open carry versus cc carry and there seems to be potential benefits to both methods. It would seem that attitude is every thing and that it is all in how your carry yourself.
we're pretty receptive to OC around here :)
So when you made the decision to open carry did you ease into it?
yeah, kind of. I remember one time my wife and I were on a walk in our neighborhood and about 10 minutes in she said "did you know your gun is showing?" I still don't OC all the time, but I do carry all the time.
Did you feel odd when carried out in the open?
sure, a little bit.
Did it fade with time?
yes
Also what works for you in determining open versus concealed?
mostly just what I'm wearing.
Thank You

Your questions make it clear that your brain is engaged and you are thinking about the right things. I think you'll be fine in using your judgment to decide what to do. Just be sure to make sure what you're doing is in accordance with http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/

Just me

Well I live in sw Porter County I am just not a fan of Chicago. So no I would not dream of carrying there. Try to avoid the state if at all possible. However we do travel to Michigan often and really enjoy some of the restaunts in Greek town which is in downtown Detroit. So it is nice that Indiana Ltch is good there. Although having a firearm does not mean you can go where ever you want with out concern. I like to think of being armed as an in case of emergency break glass type of situation. It really is odd the amount of missconceptions out there among John Q public that think because you carry you do not need to worry about any thing. I like to think of carrying as a natural extension being a responsible father and husband. Today I open carried in town at the home depot and Walmart just because it was warm out and I did not feel the need for more than a long eleven shirt. One person asked what department I worked for? Which struck me as being a little odd. Other than that no one seemed to notice or care. My wife was a little nervous but got over it quickly. My Son thought it was cool He is 8 but he knows the reason I carry is because It is my responsibililty to keep he and my wife as safe as possible. Thanks every one seems to be quite a nice group of people here.