• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AutoZone Employee Uses Gun To Scare Off Robber, Gets Fired

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I can't think of a business that would NOT fire an employee after such an incident (except maybe gun stores/pawn shops).

Maybe a small business owner/Mom & Pop place wouldn't, but these corporate chains, TMK, ALL have a "don't resist" and certainly "no-guns" policies. Ask all the fired (but still alive) pizza-delivery people due to that, let alone many also-fired convenience-store clerks, too -- 2 of the most dangerous jobs out there!

Even if some of these coprprations "secretly" believe an armed response makes sense (i.e., they understand REALITY), they just may be afraid of legal liabilities/lawsuits in the aftermath, especially if some innocent bystander gets shot in the process...so they just outright ban employees resisting & and even having guns, period.

Whatever, I think it can be said with 99% accuracy (1% allowed for any diabolical exceptions, if any) that for an employee in MOST jobs, it's "use a gun and get fired."

IMO, it's not RIGHT, but it's reality for most all businesses.

When I am at a store and carrying (OC or CC, if the store doesn't ban it), I know that *I* probably am the ONLY one in the building who could respond on-the-spot to a robbery/psycho-shooter...everyone else there is 99% likely to be UNarmed (again, 1% allowed for the unlikely exception). Although I feel a clear sense of "freedom" carrying (and being able to protect myself, and others if need be), it's sad that all most employees can "do" is simply be victims...and possibly die.

I don't see dying as a very effective "response" to crime -- unless it's the criminal doing it.

Last edited:

Keylock

In this day and age of lawyers and prosecuters looking for upward movement, if he was able to escape the threat he'd have been better off staying out. Granted others inside may end up being hurt or killed. But it is the duty and responsibility of every capable man and woman to protect their own lives and not depend on others.

eye95

I wondered about the wisdom of going back into the store until he said that the manager thanked him. That seemed to imply that the manager was left defenseless inside.

Good job on the employee's part. Autozone acted well within their rights, but (IMO) stupidly. Some other outfit will hire this gutsy kid and be better off for it.

Resto Guy

I wondered about the wisdom of going back into the store until he said that the manager thanked him. That seemed to imply that the manager was left defenseless inside.

Anyone can pull their gun in self-defense. It takes character and bravery to run from danger and return armed to defend others.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
...and I believe ANY citizen has a right to stop a felony-in-progesss ("citizen's arrest") so "getting involved" shouldn't be punished.

After all, how many violent crimes have been in-progress but NO ONE "gets involved" to stop it, they just watch -- and afterwards, people critize that lack of care & compassion for others. Yet when someone DOES "get involved," people criticize THAT, too. It needs to be decided collectively (by everyone) which way it's supposed to be.

I don't blame UNarmed people for not getting involved (self-preservation is the "Primary Law of Nature") especially if the criminal is armed, bigger/younger/stronger, or there are multiple criminals -- but that's one of the reasons for carrying: One IS able to "participate" on a fairly equal footing.

People are less likely to get involved if they don't have to tools to do so.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Shame that the young man got fired for doing what any decent person would do.

Way back in the Dark Ages, when I was stupid enough to work third shift in a convenience store, the owners told me that it was the insurance company that made them have the "no guns" policy for employees. As I understand it, that is the same thing that drives the "no loaded guns" policy of most gun shows.

The owners also told me that, if I carried and had to use it, I would be fired. And added, "But we'll hire you back as soon as everything has settled."

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
"Ain't that what them fancy boys running around with badges get paid to do?" -- Devin Hutchison

Yes.

But I'm talking about an armed citizen who CHOOSES to get involved -- can't do so if he/she is as unarmed as the victim is.

Of course, I would expect that armed citizens don't HAVE to get involved -- why FORCE people to put their lives on the line for others? I wonder if a citizen could be sued (criminally, civilly) for NOT getting involved...such as calmly sitting at his/her table while a psycho-shooter guns down employees and other customers, yet doesn't ACT until the shooter gets to his/her particular table?

I don't think so. After all, COPS aren't legally liable, so why should armed citizens be. But even if there were no legal liability for not acting, wouldn't everyone (the general public, and maybe most people here in this Forum) hold it against someone ("morally" speaking, as if most people know anything about that concept nowadays) who did nothing to stop the carnage?

I must add, that if I KNEW a victim(s) was anti-gun, I personally would NOT help him/her...would not want to tread on their personal anti-gun beliefs/values -- good luck to them. But in MOST cases, were I at a place that needs "intervention," I would not know anyone so probably WOULD act because I'm (somewhat rabidly) anti-street-trash/criminal -- and because I'm just a get-involved kind of guy. ;-)

Still, IMO people who won't defend themselves deserve any negative results of that decision.

Last edited:

eye95

I agree that it was wrong of Autozone to fire that courageous associate. However, it is their right to set the standards for employment. Individuals can then choose not to work for such an employer, or, if they choose to work for them, they may later choose to risk their jobs by exercising their rights against policy.

Again, morally wrong, but a right--one that I will defend as vocally as I do the RKBA, as much as I despise the exercise of the right to property in that particular manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Keylock

The first thing this gentleman stated in the video is that he "feared for his life." He was able to escape from the threat. He should have stayed out.

I wished we still lived in an America where helping others in these situations would get the praise of the police. And in his case a promotion. But the reality is it will more likely land you in court fighting to stay out of prison or paying a hefty civil settlement.

Bigpapa

Good job on the employee's part. Autozone acted well within their rights, but (IMO) stupidly. Some other outfit will hire this gutsy kid and be better off for it.

Agreed!

Bigpapa

Shame that the young man got fired for doing what any decent person would do.

Way back in the Dark Ages, when I was stupid enough to work third shift in a convenience store, the owners told me that it was the insurance company that made them have the "no guns" policy for employees. As I understand it, that is the same thing that drives the "no loaded guns" policy of most gun shows.

The owners also told me that, if I carried and had to use it, I would be fired. And added, "But we'll hire you back as soon as everything has settled."

Funny!

OC for ME

<snip> I must add, that if I KNEW a victim(s) was anti-gun, I personally would NOT help him/her...would not want to tread on their personal anti-gun beliefs/values -- good luck to them. <snip> Still, IMO people who won't defend themselves deserve any negative results of that decision.
It seems that any acquaintances of yours who you know are anti-gun are out of luck, yet a stranger is good to go.

Hrcnsfan

I guess he should have clocked out first...?

I work alone for a privately owned business. I'm very thankful I have an employer who allows me to be armed.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
"It seems that any acquaintances of yours who you know are anti-gun are out of luck, yet a stranger is good to go. " -- OC for ME

"You are correct, Sir!" -- as Ed McMahon often said on the old Tonight Show w/ Johnny Carson...

In this case, ignorance (on my part) truly is bliss -- at least for the "don't know where you stand on guns" strangers. But really, why should people NOT stand up for what they believe in regardless of the consequences, and die for their "values" if necessary? Doesn't anyone have any serious convictions anymore?

Do you?

And why should someone expect OTHERS (friends OR strangers) to go in harm's way when they won't even do it for themselves OR their loved ones?

Look around the place the next time you're at an IHOP, Denny's, Village Inn or whatever...guess how many people would survive an "incident." We already know the staff wouldn't (corporate policy) but how many of the customers? Few if any -- probably none (except YOU I hope, IF you're carrying)?

As adults, we can make the CHOICE (personal responsibility) to be victims or not...those who choose the former should accept the consequences and shouldn't expect ANYONE to come to their aid. I don't expect anyone to come to mine, it's MY job to handle it.

Consequently, I have zero interest in helping people like that survive. Some people need to learn the HARD WAY -- let them.

Yes, it's a harsh reality out there (and America has it LOTS easier than in MOST backwards/violent countries)...so have a plan to deal with it.

Most of us here have one: We carry. If other people (the vast majority, BTW) who COULD carry but don't/won't, that's their problem...and I lose no sleep over it whatsoever.

So unlike others here who say they are "sheepdogs," I'm not one of them.

Last edited:

OC for ME

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/autozone-fires-worker-who-stopped-robbery.html

A few more tidbits towards the end of the story.

I like what the sheriff stated.

The sheriff said he was disappointed to hear that McLean lost his job on account of stopping the robbery.

“That’s certainly unfortunate,” he said. “They should be doing something to reward that young man instead of firing him.”

Sheriff Diggs said AutoZone has also sent an unintended message to the community.

“The company has now sent a message to every would-be robber out there – ‘Hey we’re open for business and unarmed. Come on in and take our money,’” he said.
Any of you out there in the Commonwealth have this fella as your sheriff?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Let AutoZone know how you feel about this nonsense. Their comment section is here: https://www.autozone.com/autozone/c...ageCategory=inOurStores&title=generalcomments

This happened in Hampton, VA. You will need the city the store is located in to comment.

I sent them a message stating my dissapointment in their company and the company's policy. I infromed them that I believe this young man should be given a commendation, his posistion back, and preference for all future promotions! It is sad ignroant issues such as these happen in this country, and I despise these acts of cowardness by companies who do not believe in self defense. They would rather their employees get shot and killed than have to worry about a lawsuit from someone who may attempt to rob a store and get shot.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Great interview. The employee presented himself very well.

Note to self: Don't let the media talk me into racking the slide on my pistol. No obligation to add dramatic effect into a self-defense interview.

HighFlyingA380

Note to self: Don't let the media talk me into racking the slide on my pistol. No obligation to add dramatic effect into a self-defense interview.
My thought exactly. Seems to me that is just a subtle way of them trying to show us as irresponsible.

I contacted them. Filled the entire contact form. It will be interesting to see if there will be any change in policy if enough of us submit complaints and pledge to not patronize their business. (Sadly, doubtful.)