• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AutoZone Employee Uses Gun To Scare Off Robber, Gets Fired

Samantha86

Wow, Autozone made a huge mistake. They not only look stupid for firing that guy, they could have really handled this differently. The employee was defending the store, to an armed robber. What the heck was he supposed to do? Duck down and hope he wasn't killed? He did the RIGHT thing!! Autozone is unprofessional, and definitely lost my respect.
[video=youtube;b6j6lSCfJAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6j6lSCfJAY&feature=plcp[/video]

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Anyone can pull their gun in self-defense. It takes character and bravery to run from danger and return armed to defend others.

I run into burning buildings......I run towards gunfire..... I cannot stand idly by while evil attempts to rise above the Good.

...and I believe ANY citizen has a right to stop a felony-in-progesss ("citizen's arrest") so "getting involved" shouldn't be punished.

If not me, if not you, who will stand for what is right.

Ain't that what them fancy boys running around with badges get paid to do :rolleyes:

Immediate action or wait for however long it takes for a LEO to arrive.

If you left the building and left someone(s) behind to be injured or killed and you could have done something to prevent it imagine explaining that to the survivors.

ocgso

...and I believe ANY citizen has a right to stop a felony-in-progesss ("citizen's arrest") so "getting involved" shouldn't be punished.

After all, how many violent crimes have been in-progress but NO ONE "gets involved" to stop it, they just watch -- and afterwards, people critize that lack of care & compassion for others. Yet when someone DOES "get involved," people criticize THAT, too. It needs to be decided collectively (by everyone) which way it's supposed to be.

I don't blame UNarmed people for not getting involved (self-preservation is the "Primary Law of Nature") especially if the criminal is armed, bigger/younger/stronger, or there are multiple criminals -- but that's one of the reasons for carrying: One IS able to "participate" on a fairly equal footing.

People are less likely to get involved if they don't have to tools to do so.

+1.

People will not get involved if they fear legal retribution. Just like in first aid cases, if I know you can sue me for breaking your ribs, I will not perform CPR.

It is sad. It is more sad when people stand around and do nothing during a situation. But if everyone fears legal retribution, then that is exactly what will happen.

MikeTheGreek

AutoZone has a zero tolerance for their employees to have firearms in the store? I'm sure quite a few criminals were happy to hear that. One more store they can freely rob!

My repair shop is right next to an Autozone. The employees have told me a few times that they A) Can't carry a firearm or they'll get fired, and B) If anyone tries to rob them, knife, gun, etc. Give them the money & call the police after they leave.

They actually TRIED to tell me, that if I was in their store while they were being robbed, and I drew my firearm to stop the robbery, their manager could lose his job. How messed up is that? This auto zone gets robbed about 4 times a year. The last time they were robbed was a few months ago. A guy grabbed one of their employees by her hair and put a gun to her head, demanding all of the money.

I know some of the people who OC, or even CC say "If it's not MY life in danger, why get involved?" But if that happened and I was in the store, I would definitely stop it.

I just don't get how companies tell their employees that they don't have the right to defend themselves at work. I have never, and will never work for anyone who tells me that.