• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have any info on Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman's stance on 2A issues?

Malcolm

I'm fairly new to Ohio (just moved up in September) and I've been pretty active in my letter writing to my senators on 2A issues and others (taxes, electronic privacy etc.). I was wondering how the track record of our elected leaders are on 2A issues?

Another question as well.

Any tips about filing for a CCW. Anyone have any experience on the technicalities of the CCW application. I'm filling mine out soon and don't want something stupid too complicate the whole process. Anything would be great, thanks.

-M

Malcolm

Yes and no.

Am I wasting my time writing Sen. Brown on 2A issues? I did write him about the Sportsman Act of 2012 and received a nice mass reply that was semantically designed to have an individual believe it was direct to them (It didn't however state his support of it). Anyway, I'm not one to give up and he will be representing us for the next 6 years.

Malcolm

Pistol Packing Gunslingers? Dirty Harry wannabe?

OUCH!

That pings a little bit. Someone's enjoying their first amendment right. I'm not sensing a whole lot of respect there. Now may I take a second to thank every law abiding concealed carrier, NRA member/ILA donator and elected official who has the integrity, honor and common sense to respect the Bill of Rights and their fellow man.

Regardless, I won't stop writing. Articles like that motivate me to whip out my credit card and donate to the ILA immediately.

How about Sen. Portman?

Thanks for sending me the links.

docachna

JSlack7851

She's nothing but a tool. Always was - just like her husband.

I would love to re-post her article showing how wrong she was. (shove her nose in it..)

All the gloom and doom that didn't come to pass. That video, of the 71 YO man in Florida chasing out those robbers with the toy gun and the base ball bat in the internet cafe, would be nice too.

Don't expect Brown to vote pro gun, he'd get his a$$ kicked when he came home.

Malcolm

What about Sen. Portman?

I'm starting to see that Sen. Brown might be a long shot, what about Sen. Portman? anything there?

John Williamson

Sherrod Brown is a union dog and he fears his E-collar. Changing his vote is VERY simple. Change the Ohio law enforcement unions lobbying goals. At present EVERY Ohio law enforcement union opposes EVERY liberalization of Ohio self defense laws. Look up their past testimony. They ALWAYS send someone, who usually doesn't actually know what they are talking about, to add to the cries of "blood in the streets." You change the unions lobbying and you change Browns vote.

Of course, if you remember the Trafficant trial you will remember how closely some of Ohio's Unions and the Democrats they support are tied to organized crime.If you look up organized crimes support for firearms regulation it all comes together. Remember Chicago's firearm laws are a legacy of organized crime control during prohibition(I would limit their role to influence at this point). When every shopkeeper carries a gun it is hard to run a protection racket. When every witness carries a gun it is hard to stop testimony. When every juror can carry a gun it is hard to make that testimony irrelevant.

Maybe you can claim the LEO unions are different, but also remember the Ohio AG human trafficking report last year listed what as the profession most involved in human trafficking in Ohio? That is right, law enforcement beats out business men and drug dealers for the top spot on page 16.

Last edited:

RCall

IMO Rob Portman's rating dropped to an F. On my way to work this morning I was listening to WHIO radio. (Dayton) A commercial came on with Mr. Portman urging Ohioans to support universal background checks for all firearm purchases. At the end of the commercial it stated that it had been paid for by Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

This coupled with information I discovered last month of Portman donating about $16,000.00 to the research of the positive effects that a high capacity magazine ban would have, has made me drop my support of him.

eye95

After having fired off Ruger letters to both of them, I got replies from both. Brown's left me the impression that he strongly supported measures that he would contend would prevent future Sandy Hooks, but would actually make life more difficult only for those inclined to follow the law. Not satisfactory at all.

Portman's response was the typical I-support-the-2A crap that leaves one wondering if he knows what it means. It seems he does not. I don't plan on supporting Portman next time around. He needs to be voted out in the primaries next time.

RT48

IMO Rob Portman's rating dropped to an F. On my way to work this morning I was listening to WHIO radio. (Dayton) A commercial came on with Mr. Portman urging Ohioans to support universal background checks for all firearm purchases. At the end of the commercial it stated that it had been paid for by Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

This coupled with information I discovered last month of Portman donating about $16,000.00 to the research of the positive effects that a high capacity magazine ban would have, has made me drop my support of him.

An NRA A rated Senator doing an ad for MAIG? Excuse me for being a mite skeptical.

http://www.nrapvf.org/news-alerts/2010/09/nra-pvf-endorses-rob-portman-for-us-senate-in-ohio.aspx

Are you saying you actually heard him say,"Hi, this Senator Rob Portman..."

Last edited:

RT48

If Portman is doing radio ads for MAIG, why is he one of the senators being targeted in this ad?

The dangerous ads are intended to pressure senators to get 60 votes for regulating private gun transactions, one of the measures the Senate take up when Congress returns from Easter recess. The legislation, sponsored by Sen. Chuck Schumer, New York Democrat, was supposed to be negotiated with Republicans, but instead a partisan bill was voted out of committee. Mr. Schumer said he will try to find consensus before the floor vote.

Lawmakers who support gun rights don’t easily divide along party lines. While most Republicans in Washington are pro-Second Amendment, some Democrats from rural or other pro-gun states support the right to keep and bear arms. So Mr. Bloomberg is directing his ire at both sides of the aisle.

Hizzoner believes that these Republicans might be willing to bow to the pressure from the attack ads: Sens. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, Dan Coats of Indiana, Susan Collins of Maine, Jeff Flake of Arizona, Chuck Grassley of Iowa (who is the ranking member on the Judiciary Committee), Dean Heller of Nevada, Johnny Isakson of Georgia, Rob Portman of Ohio and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

The Democrats getting whacked are Sens. Joe Donnelly of Indiana, Kay Hagan of North Carolina, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana and Mark Pryor of Arkansas.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/mar/25/miller-mayor-bloombergs-irresponsible-gun-attack-a/

Malcolm

Well...

I'm going to have to agree to get Portman out in the primaries. There's too many things flying around this. I've completely given up on Brown. I received a letter from him a few months ago that basically stated his undying support for a population of subjects rather than citizens. The idea of the police unions is interesting though. Maybe I'll look into that. I'm new to my neighborhood and need to get down to city hall for some introductions. I like to know who's operating my community and what their perceptions of it are. Thanks again guys.

-M

RCall

Okay I think I heard the commercial wrong. My apologies. It is urging citizens to tell Portman to support the background checks. I heard it again today.