Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have sex ed in schools why not gun ed?

We have sex ed in schools why not gun ed?

It sick how many people don't understand BASIC firearm safety.

I propose that all school have basic firearms safety classes mandatory for students. The education would start in elementary school and continue on up through high school. The high school student should be offered shooting course similar to the way driver's ed is offered. They pay extra, they have a 7+day class on handgun/rifle use and it should count as training for their CPLs when they hit the magic age in their states.

Maybe even have a school shooting team with rifle, handgun, and shotgun competitions.

They should include in the class intro to basic maintenance where they learn how to properly clean and lubricate common styles of firearms.

Your thoughts for or against, maybe subject matters to be covered, etc.

I believe that the very basic safety class should include at least one day at a range and should be mandatory to graduate. Some exceptions might include those who are too mentally handicap to handle a weapon safely, "moral" protesters (libtarted children), etc.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Basic safety should be mandatory, absolutely. No live firing, or even handling of real firearms is necessary. Even if it was only a couple of hours per school year, thousands of lives could be saved. I've been a proponent of this for years.

I've heard Virginia uses the NRA's Eddie Eagle program in schools, but I don't remember all the details.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Re: We have sex ed in schools why not gun ed?

This is a good idea.

Except it should be mandatory for everyone like sex ed was (well was when I was in school anyways). No exceptions

Pacifists still need to know about safety and parents can always enroll their kids in private schools or home school should they object.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    This is a good idea.

Except it should be mandatory for everyone like sex ed was (well was when I was in school anyways). No exceptions

Pacifists still need to know about safety and parents can always enroll their kids in private schools or home school should they object.

Okay, how about having live fire/maintenance as optional and the rest as mandatory then?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Okay, how about having live fire/maintenance as optional and the rest as mandatory then?
    Sure, knowing about gun safety and actually using them are world's apart.

Include laws, regulations and history of gun ownership in the safety class as well.

Actually, this would make for a great adult continuing education class at local community colleges too.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 12-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.

While this does sound like a good idea you know it would prob get twisted into an anti gun program while learning gun safety.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KYKevin View Post
    While this does sound like a good idea you know it would prob get twisted into an anti gun program while learning gun safety.
    Probably. But many schools have this in JROTC. My mother (ret. Cpt) teaches JROTC in Texas and they do the entire bit for the 4 years.

Of course it has a military slant but she doesn't do the anti bit at all.

It wouldn't be a hassle for her to do non-JROTC classes just covering gun use or to include non-JROTC students on the rifle team.

Handguns might be hard though. Antis fear handguns like Iran fears religious freedom.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 12-02-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Banned
    While it sounds like a good idea, would it be perverted by the state? I would think so, over time.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    While it sounds like a good idea, would it be perverted by the state? I would think so, over time.
    Since this would only need to be done once a year or so, it should be done by an NRA-certified guest instructor, and that (or equivalent) could be written into the course requirement. That should help.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I think its a great idea but the liberals would never allow it.

I actually had this debate with a liberal about 10 years ago.

When I aked them why they opposed the idea they said "the kids are too young, teaching them about guns will encourage risky behavior and they should be taught at home about these things"

Sounded awfully familiar, haha
    Same thing the bible thumpers said about about sex ed.

I think he meant to say "people who defer to religion rather than reason."

I think the distance from "here are some safety tips about guns" to "here is why guns are evil" is too short a trip. The same reason we shouldn't teach _about_ religion in schools: we cannot trust those developing and teaching to stick to plan, or that the plan will be acceptable to all.

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    ...I think the distance from "here are some safety tips about guns" to "here is why guns are evil" is too short a trip. ...
    The already work in the latter every chance they get anyway, with zero discussion on the former.

what is a bible thumper ?
    Over exuberant Christians...

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    Over exuberant Christians...

Not just that but those who "quote" out of context or twist said quotes into the context they want. On several occasions my own mother flat out makes stuff up and says "it's from the bible" to get her way. It's really irritating. I find it comical to ask for the cite and watch the thumper stutter.

And to the OP, total agreement. Would have loved a gun course in school.

Schools can't produce graduates that are capable of reading, writing or doing math. I doubt they could do a decent job with firearms education. Public schooling = fail.

When I aked them why they opposed the idea they said "the kids are too young, teaching them about guns will encourage risky behavior and they should be taught at home about these things"

Schools already had gun-ed classes decades ago, and kids would bring their guns to school.

But, now schools have no-gun signs on the doors, to keep all the bad guys with guns away.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    But, now schools have no-gun signs on the doors, to keep all the bad guys with guns away.
    have you tried telling the bad guys this? Maybe you could pick up some funding for such a project.
    Lifetime member, Gun Owners of America (http://gunowners.org/)
    Lifetime member, Jews for the Preservation of Firearm Ownership (http://jpfo.org/)
    Member, Fraternal Order of Eagles since 8/02 (http://www.foe.com/)

Registering gun owners to prevent crime, is like registering Jews to prevent a HOLOCAUST.

I am not a lawyer in real life, or in play life. So anything I say is for debate and discussion only.

Not true.

Admittedly the libs messed around with it, but they left enough to be a viable program. Being as how it's a state publication there is no copyright/plagerism issue for copying it.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/guid...elementary.pdf

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Not true.

Admittedly the libs messed around with it, but they left enough to be a viable program. Being as how it's a state publication there is no copyright/plagerism issue for copying it.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/boe/guid...elementary.pdf

stay safe.
    Many individuals within a community carry guns. Students need to understand which community members may publicly carry guns. The Code of Virginia at 18.2-308 states that those who can carry a gun for their occupation or recreation include law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, and military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or any person engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest.

They could have stopped at the first sentence, right?

The characters Kevin, Jimmy, Sarah, and Roscoe are friends and live in the same neighborhood. They often play outside after school. They find a gun in the bushes and have to decide what to do

Whaaaaat? Is this an issue in this area .. you have bushes that sprout guns?

Who May Use A Gun Activity - Police Officer, Park Ranger, and Military person.

What? Are kids being contacted by the US Army?

prepare to discuss them with the class.
    1. Your best friend has found a gun at the park and decides to hide it and not tell anyone.
    2. Your parents are out of town and you are at home with your older brother who invited a friend over. The friend shows you a gun and states it belongs to his father.
    3. Your best friend at school has been bullied for over a week by a student in another class. He has stated that he plans to bring a gun to school to scare the bully.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    a. Who should you tell?
    b. What will be the results of your actions?

Nobody likes a tattle-tail Jimmy .... really, more park references ....

Good example of why the gov't should just stay out of this issue

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    And stay away from parks .. they are filled with bushes that have guns !

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    And stay away from parks .. they are filled with bushes that have guns !
    Which parks? I would love to harvest guns from the gun bushes.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 12-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keylock View Post
    Schools can't produce graduates that are capable of reading, writing or doing math. I doubt they could do a decent job with firearms education. Public schooling = fail.
    But they sure know how to breed by the time they are done......
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerClose View Post
    Schools already had gun-ed classes decades ago, and kids would bring their guns to school.

Man I miss the old days when I was in high school. Trucks parked in the school lot with guns hanging in the windows and no one said a word about it. Nor did any one steal them.
    Kentucky Open Carry Group
    http://opencarry.niceboards.org/

We all speak of liberty and freedom like we are the only ones that know the truth and the right path. But if we expect everyone to accept and follow our path and to accept our truth and want to force it upon them then that is no longer liberty or freedom. It is slavery. I believe in liberty for all. Regardless of their political views, religion, race, sex, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Keylock View Post
    Rant

I agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately it is difficult in my area to find a private school that doesn't also provide religious instruction. My brother went to a private school for several years, and when he eventually went to public school, he had no historical or civic knowledge, or any information on widely accepted scientific theories.

/rant
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    Rant

I agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately it is difficult in my area to find a private school that doesn't also provide religious instruction. My brother went to a private school for several years, and when he eventually went to public school, he had no historical or civic knowledge, or any information on widely accepted scientific theories.

/rant
    Only if one see being taught morels and how to lead a godly life as wrong.

Not all private schools are the same some provides very good instruction others do not.

That is why when buying any product one has to to the research.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast