• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We have sex ed in schools why not gun ed?

Freedom1Man

It sick how many people don't understand BASIC firearm safety.

I propose that all school have basic firearms safety classes mandatory for students. The education would start in elementary school and continue on up through high school. The high school student should be offered shooting course similar to the way driver's ed is offered. They pay extra, they have a 7+day class on handgun/rifle use and it should count as training for their CPLs when they hit the magic age in their states.

Maybe even have a school shooting team with rifle, handgun, and shotgun competitions.

They should include in the class intro to basic maintenance where they learn how to properly clean and lubricate common styles of firearms.

Your thoughts for or against, maybe subject matters to be covered, etc.

I believe that the very basic safety class should include at least one day at a range and should be mandatory to graduate. Some exceptions might include those who are too mentally handicap to handle a weapon safely, "moral" protesters (libtarted children), etc.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Basic safety should be mandatory, absolutely. No live firing, or even handling of real firearms is necessary. Even if it was only a couple of hours per school year, thousands of lives could be saved. I've been a proponent of this for years.

I've heard Virginia uses the NRA's Eddie Eagle program in schools, but I don't remember all the details.

Anonymouse

This is a good idea.

Except it should be mandatory for everyone like sex ed was (well was when I was in school anyways). No exceptions

Pacifists still need to know about safety and parents can always enroll their kids in private schools or home school should they object.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

This is a good idea.

Except it should be mandatory for everyone like sex ed was (well was when I was in school anyways). No exceptions

Pacifists still need to know about safety and parents can always enroll their kids in private schools or home school should they object.

Okay, how about having live fire/maintenance as optional and the rest as mandatory then?

Anonymouse

Okay, how about having live fire/maintenance as optional and the rest as mandatory then?

Sure, knowing about gun safety and actually using them are world's apart.

Include laws, regulations and history of gun ownership in the safety class as well.

Actually, this would make for a great adult continuing education class at local community colleges too.

Last edited:

Anonymouse

While this does sound like a good idea you know it would prob get twisted into an anti gun program while learning gun safety.

Probably. But many schools have this in JROTC. My mother (ret. Cpt) teaches JROTC in Texas and they do the entire bit for the 4 years.

Of course it has a military slant but she doesn't do the anti bit at all.

It wouldn't be a hassle for her to do non-JROTC classes just covering gun use or to include non-JROTC students on the rifle team.

Handguns might be hard though. Antis fear handguns like Iran fears religious freedom.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
While it sounds like a good idea, would it be perverted by the state? I would think so, over time.

Since this would only need to be done once a year or so, it should be done by an NRA-certified guest instructor, and that (or equivalent) could be written into the course requirement. That should help.

Ca Patriot

I think its a great idea but the liberals would never allow it.

I actually had this debate with a liberal about 10 years ago.

When I aked them why they opposed the idea they said "the kids are too young, teaching them about guns will encourage risky behavior and they should be taught at home about these things"

Sounded awfully familiar, haha

Freedom1Man

When I aked them why they opposed the idea they said "the kids are too young, teaching them about guns will encourage risky behavior and they should be taught at home about these things"

Same thing the bible thumpers said about about sex ed.

nonameisgood

I think he meant to say "people who defer to religion rather than reason."

I think the distance from "here are some safety tips about guns" to "here is why guns are evil" is too short a trip. The same reason we shouldn't teach _about_ religion in schools: we cannot trust those developing and teaching to stick to plan, or that the plan will be acceptable to all.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I think the distance from "here are some safety tips about guns" to "here is why guns are evil" is too short a trip. ...

The already work in the latter every chance they get anyway, with zero discussion on the former.

Sorcice

Over exuberant Christians...

Not just that but those who "quote" out of context or twist said quotes into the context they want. On several occasions my own mother flat out makes stuff up and says "it's from the bible" to get her way. It's really irritating. I find it comical to ask for the cite and watch the thumper stutter.

And to the OP, total agreement. Would have loved a gun course in school.

Keylock

Schools can't produce graduates that are capable of reading, writing or doing math. I doubt they could do a decent job with firearms education. Public schooling = fail.

DangerClose

Schools already had gun-ed classes decades ago, and kids would bring their guns to school.

But, now schools have no-gun signs on the doors, to keep all the bad guys with guns away. :uhoh: