• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

From Kansas and will be traveling to Tennessee for vacation in July.

Mr.40

Me and my family will be in Tennessee this coming July for vacation and will be staying in Valley Forge. Probably doing some site seeing in Nashville...what are OC laws down that way?

Nascar24Glock

Me and my family will be in Tennessee this coming July for vacation and will be staying in Valley Forge. Probably doing some site seeing in Nashville...what are OC laws down that way?

First of all, make sure you have your handgun carry permit, concealed carry permit, or other equivalent. Tennessee recognizes all out of state permits; but, a permit is required to do any kind of carrying (openly, concealed, or in a car). If you or someone you know is age 18 to 20 and wants to carry, get New Hampshire's non-resident permit.

Beyond that, OC is not distinguished from CC in Tennessee law and therefore follows the same rules. Don't carry it into a courthouse or on school property (if you're a non-student adult, you can store it unloaded in your vehicle). If you carry into a place that serves alcohol, don't consume any alcohol while there. If you go to any local parks, check for postings at the entrance; local governing bodies are allowed to ban weapon possession in their parks. These should cover state prohibitions. Of course, don't carry onto Federal property, like a Post Office. You may carry in national parks, however.

Also, be sure to watch for postings whenever you go into a business or other establishment. Establishments are able under Tennessee law to prohibit weapon possession on their property; and, if properly posted, these postings carry the weight of law in Tennessee (Class B Misdemeanor). To be properly posted, an establishment must have one of two sign types: (1) a sign containing prohibition language that is "substantially similar" to the statute, or (2) a gunbuster sign containing the traditional circle slash with a gun in it. To be "substantially similar," the sign must (1) state that weapons are prohibited, (2) state that the prohibition is made pursuant to the authority of Tennessee state law, and (3) state that a violation is a criminal offense. If either sign ("substantially similar" language or the gunbuster) is present at the entrance, then you may not legally carry in that establishment. Proceed with caution regarding places that are posted but not properly, such as having a sign that just says "no weapons allowed" without having the "substantially similar" language or gunbuster (officially, I have to recommend you don't carry these places either).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Nothing contained in this message is, or should be construed as, legal advice. I accept no responsibility for any actions you may or may not take based on this information. For legal advice, consult an attorney.

Last edited:

Mr.40

thanks for the response..I do have a ccl and from the sounds of things the laws are VERY similar to the ones here in ks..thanks again

Nascar24Glock

Nascar had one error. CourtHOUSE carry is legal. It is illegal to carry in a courtROOM where court is in session.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk 2

Technically, you are correct. However, it's been my practical experience that the entire building (whether rightly so or not) is usually off-limits. This is how it is at the two courthouses I've been to. At the Washington County Courthouse in downtown Johnson City, the etrances are posted with signs that say no firearms allowed, even though the metal detectors are at least 25 feet inside the building, past the clerk counters. At the Sullivan County Courthouse in downtown Kingsport, the metal detectors are within 5 feet of the entrance. So, at least at these two courthouses, carry seems to be banned in the entire building. And, I personally don't want to be the test case for "courtHOUSE" vs. "courtROOM."

Fallguy

Technically, you are correct. However, it's been my practical experience that the entire building (whether rightly so or not) is usually off-limits. This is how it is at the two courthouses I've been to. At the Washington County Courthouse in downtown Johnson City, the etrances are posted with signs that say no firearms allowed, even though the metal detectors are at least 25 feet inside the building, past the clerk counters. At the Sullivan County Courthouse in downtown Kingsport, the metal detectors are within 5 feet of the entrance. So, at least at these two courthouses, carry seems to be banned in the entire building. And, I personally don't want to be the test case for "courtHOUSE" vs. "courtROOM."

A courthouse can post a sign per 39-17-1359 making the entire courthouse off-limits, but absent a sign, by law, the courthouse is not off-limits. Even a courtroom is not off-limits if it is being used for some purpose other than a "judicial proceeding". The law 39-17-1306 says it is unlawful to carry in a "room" where a "judicial proceeding" is taking place. So let's say a defendant is in the hospital and the judge etc.. come to his room to arraign him etc.. then during the time that proceeding is taking place, that room would be off-limits per 39-17-1306.

Decatur County Courthouse is not posted and even though there are metal detectors at the entrance to the courtroom, when they have county commission meetings there, they are not manned and I simply walk around.

WCrawford

What test case? Tennessee law is perfectly clear. Just because some courtHOUSES are posted in accordance with a seperate law does not mean that every courtHOUSE is a prohibited area.

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk 2