• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Autozone feels about the right to self defense.

Rich B

I have made the personal decision to not do business at Autozone anymore due to this story:

http://wtkr.com/2012/11/30/autozone-employee-fired-after-taking-action-against-fake-beard-bandit/

Their contact page is below. If you feel the same way, I recommend you let them know why.

https://www.autozone.com/autozone/c...ageCategory=inOurStores&title=generalcomments

This was my personal message to them:

From this point forward, I will no longer shop in your stores based on your treatment of your employee who saved his manager's life. Up until now, I had been a regular customer.

http://wtkr.com/2012/11/30/autozone-employee-fired-after-taking-action-against-fake-beard-bandit/

Every company must make many difficult decisions in the course of running their business, and every consumer has a choice to make about doing business with those companies. Those decisions often have consequences.

This should not have been a difficult decision to make. It was a clear, simple one based on one of the simplest of morals. Your company chose the wrong and immoral decision in sending a message to this employee, the rest of your employees and your customers that in your store you don't respect a person's right to defend themselves and each other.

Until I see that your company has publicly apologized to this employee, reversed your policy and rehired the employee, I will not do business with you.

I will certainly not hold my breath.

meezy84

I have made the personal decision to not do business at Autozone anymore due to this story:

Their contact page is below. If you feel the same way, I recommend you let them know why.

https://www.autozone.com/autozone/c...ageCategory=inOurStores&title=generalcomments

This was my personal message to them:

I cant believe the coarse of action they have taken! I as well will no longer do business with Auto zone.

Freiheit417

Wow, I've even open-carried at AutoZone before. No wonder they were nice to me - probably glad there was someone in the store who was armed since their company forces them to be defenseless.

I guess I won't be going there any more either.

Anonymouse

Wow, I've even open-carried at AutoZone before. No wonder they were nice to me - probably glad there was someone in the store who was armed since their company forces them to be defenseless.

I guess I won't be going there any more either.

I have OC'd in Auto zone. I guess I'll keep going there though because most employers don't let people be armed and Autozone, at least mine, doesn't disarm me.

Even my employer disarms us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

customcreationllc

Sent, well I'll keep trying to comment thing isn't working for me.
And will not be shopping at Autozone any more.
I have plenty of other other auto part shops around.

Last edited:

GrandZJ

I'm surprised they waited that long to fire him, actually. I used to work for that company. Terrible place. I work for a competitor now that has the same policy though :cuss:

motoxmann

theoretical scenarios with questions:

1)
say the robber didnt raise his gun to the air, and instead pointed it at the employee who re-entered the store with his gun, and the employee shot the robber. would the employee be charged with any crimes? now say this theoretical scenario occured in CT, same question, would the employee be charged with any crimes?
*now, I know that if autozone allowed employees to carry weapons while working for self defense purposes, he never would have had to leave and re-enter, and could have had his gun on him the entire time. and if that was the case I would imagine all would be well and he couldnt be charged with anything. but the fact remains that he left the store and re-entered. I support him for doing this, but on a legal standpoint it could leave him hanging out to dry as the one worse off than the robber.

2)had the employee actually shot the robber, whether the robber pointed his gun at the employee or not, the robber or his family would obviously try to start a lawsuit. who would be liable? the emloyee, or autozone? I ask this specifically because the employee left and re-entered, knowing the store has a policy where employees cannot carry weapons in the store while on the clock.
*I assume this is why so many companies have this policy. because if they allow employees to carry weapons for self defense, the "victim" could sue the company for large amounts because the company is instantly liable. but if they have a policy against weapons, then the individual person would be held liable, I think?

thoughts?

customcreationllc

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your comments. We have forwarded them to the appropriate department for review.

Regards,

Customer Service Department

Thank you.

Description: cid:image001.png@01CC1EAE.01A89530

AutoZone E-Customer Service department.