• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

And you thought you were safe (and free)...

Gil223

Even under FISA? I think that's the acronym...

Tap'n while driving...

I had forgotten about Gee Dubbya's knee-jerk reaction to 9-11. Right now, the NSA is the only agency authorized to conduct "warrantless wiretaps". However, one agency is one too many violating our 4th Amendment rights. (FISA generally requires the government to seek warrants before monitoring Americans’ communications. In 2001, however, President Bush authorized the NSA to launch a warrantless wiretapping program, and in 2008 Congress ratified and expanded that program.) With the Commies still running the country, who knows what they will do next. Pax...

P.S. As of 29 October 2012
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court seemed skeptical Monday of a government request to invalidate a lawsuit challenging the expansion of a surveillance law used to monitor conversations of foreign spies and terrorist suspects.
There's still hope.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I had forgotten about Gee Dubbya's knee-jerk reaction to 9-11. Right now, the NSA is the only agency authorized to conduct "warrantless wiretaps". However, one agency is one too many violating our 4th Amendment rights. (FISA generally requires the government to seek warrants before monitoring Americans’ communications. In 2001, however, President Bush authorized the NSA to launch a warrantless wiretapping program, and in 2008 Congress ratified and expanded that program.) With the Commies still running the country, who knows what they will do next. Pax...

P.S. As of 29 October 2012 There's still hope.

One agency is aboslutely one too many!

People here are acting under the premise that everything on the Internet is viewable by the public and this fact makes it okay for the government to do the same. How can you come to this conclusion? The government does not have the right to keep documentation of our chats, posts, blogs, or anything else we do on the Internet, regardless of whether it is viewable to all or not. Sure, they can view this information, but they do not have the authority to compile all of it into viewable files for later use.

We must remember that the government is bound by the Constitution, and they cannot do things to people that private citizens can because that document forbides them from doing so. Spying on our Internet activity and documenting that same activity is a violation of our right to be free from government intrusion into our lives. There is a difference in the general public and a government agency doing these activities.

Anonymouse

One agency is aboslutely one too many!

People here are acting under the premise that everything on the Internet is viewable by the public and this fact makes it okay for the government to do the same. How can you come to this conclusion?

The same reason cops can look in your car window. Its plainly visible.

I'm not saying it is right.

I'm saying that just like you should tint your windows and put your stuff in your trunk that you should do the same with your internet communications.

Sure my posts here are public but my sensitive email and Skype chats and more risque network shenanigans are hella encrypted and good look to the NSA trying to crack it. Not in this life time. Hell even my hard drives are under multiple levels of encryption.

It's called being prudent. Same reason every sensitive document gets cross shredded and burned.

If you aren't working under the assumption that someone is sniffing your network packets, digging in your trash or otherwise snooping on you then you are being foolish...

Whether it's the government, a Chinese teenager, a foreign government or your jilted girlfriend.

Do you not wear condoms because its not right for people to give you STD's??? :cool:

Tap'n while driving...

KYGlockster

Activist Member
The same reason cops can look in your car window. Its plainly visible.

I'm not saying it is right.

I'm saying that just like you should tint your windows and put your stuff in your trunk that you should do the same with your internet communications.

Sure my posts here are public but my sensitive email and Skype chats and more risque network shenanigans are hella encrypted and good look to the NSA trying to crack it. Not in this life time. Hell even my hard drives are under multiple levels of encryption.

It's called being prudent. Same reason every sensitive document gets cross shredded and burned.

If you aren't working under the assumption that someone is sniffing your network packets, digging in your trash or otherwise snooping on you then you are being foolish...

Whether it's the government, a Chinese teenager, a foreign government or your jilted girlfriend.

Do you not wear condoms because its not right for people to give you STD's??? :cool:

Tap'n while driving...

Yes, you can be ARRESTED if an LEO witnesses something ILLEGAL in PLAIN-VIEW. This is entirely different! This is our daily business on the Internet, of which the government is keeping record of EVERYTHING WE DO, NOT JUST WHAT WE DO THAT IS ILLEGAL. Even if we were doing something ILLEGAL on-line, they still would need a warrant to seize our computer to attain information needed to prove wrong-doing. So, in this case that we are discussing there are no warrants issued to compile all of this information AGAINST us. There is absolutely NO relevance between the PLAIN-VIEW DOCTRINE and keeping records of everything that we have done on the Internet. The government can only do such nonsense if WE THE PEOPLE allow them to do so, which means legislation would have to be passed and be deemed constitutional. This activity is NOT constitutional. If they witnessed illegal activity on the Internet then they could copy that activity to use against us legally; but SPYING on the American people and keeping databases of our LEGAL activity on the Internet is repugnant to what a FREE society is all about!

Anonymouse

Yes, you can be ARRESTED if an LEO witnesses something ILLEGAL in PLAIN-VIEW. This is entirely different! This is our daily business on the Internet, of which the government is keeping record of EVERYTHING WE DO, NOT JUST WHAT WE DO THAT IS ILLEGAL. Even if we were doing something ILLEGAL on-line, they still would need a warrant to seize our computer to attain information needed to prove wrong-doing. So, in this case that we are discussing there are no warrants issued to compile all of this information AGAINST us. There is absolutely NO relevance between the PLAIN-VIEW DOCTRINE and keeping records of everything that we have done on the Internet. The government can only do such nonsense if WE THE PEOPLE allow them to do so, which means legislation would have to be passed and be deemed constitutional. This activity is NOT constitutional. If they witnessed illegal activity on the Internet then they could copy that activity to use against us legally; but SPYING on the American people and keeping databases of our LEGAL activity on the Internet is repugnant to what a FREE society is all about!

So you are saying you refuse to be prudent because it shouldn't happen???

Of course it shouldn't happen. But it will, so...

Tap'n while driving...

sudden valley gunner

So you are saying you refuse to be prudent because it shouldn't happen???

Of course it shouldn't happen. But it will, so...

Tap'n while driving...

I don't see it as him saying you shouldn't be prudent just very angry the government has taken powers upon itself.

I need to learnt to be more prudent. Is there ways for us not so savy computers users to follow your advice easily?

Anonymouse

I don't see it as him saying you shouldn't be prudent just very angry the government has taken powers upon itself.

I need to learnt to be more prudent. Is there ways for us not so savy computers users to follow your advice easily?

:D I'm learning to be angry at the govt and not just be a member of the sheeple class.

Unfortunately there is no quick and easy way to learn how to secure your computer. There may be a "Computer Security for Dummies" book or some such.

Just start with the basics. By the time you get to encryption you'll be generally secure.

Start at a page like this and keep going.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57324404-285/how-to-secure-your-pc-in-10-easy-steps/

I've not actually read this page so I can't endorse it.

You really have to decide your level of protection. General, hackers and ID thieves or government/military. An example is in Mac when you wipe your drive you can just wipe it quick and easy, overwrite it once which is false security or over write it up to 35 times which takes a hella long time but exceeds NSA standards. There even NSA level controls for Linux/Unix but that is advanced mode lol.

You can be generally secured or go all out paranoid, prepper, tinfoil, f the NSA mode...

Tap'n while driving...

Last edited: