Thread: 3 Kilotons of explosives found in Louisiana.

3 Kilotons of explosives found in Louisiana.

Technically not an explosive if not confined, but still 6,000,000 pounds (3 kilotons) of M6 Artillery propellant was found improperly stored in Louisiana, prompting the town to be evacuated.

http://news.yahoo.com/explosives-lou...175826470.html

Founder's Club Member
    I liked the comment about the contractor saving it for Fourth of July.

Media and government over-reaction.

Back in the day, after an artillery live-fire exercise, unused powder was burned. Artillery adjusted the trajectory of the shells both by adjusting barrel elevation and the number of bags of powder. Each canister of powder had enough bags of powder for a maximum range shot. If the particular shot didn't use all the bags (most didn't), the unused bag(s) from that canister were set aside for burning at the end of the field exercise.

At the end of the exercise, the arty boys would just lay the bags out in a long powder train and light one end. Unconfined the stuff just burns and fizzles. And, its not particulary even fast about it.

6M pounds would make a mighty impressive powder train, with tremendous amounts of smoke and heat, but that would be all. The volume of smoke would probably be toxic, so evacuating the town--after it ignites--makes sense if the wind direction is right.

But, its been sitting there building up for years and hasn't ignited. Its not like its gonna ignite just because the government and media discovered it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Campaign Veteran
    No sooner than Forum member Jack House leaves TX for LA, we read a story about "a huge amount of explosives" discovered there.

Hmmm...

Just a coincidence? Perhaps, but I wonder...

(just kidding)
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 12-04-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Banned
    I'll take 2 tonnes .... know just where to put it .... hemorrhoids GONE

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    No sooner than Forum member Jack House leaves TX for LA, we read a story about a huge amount of "explosives" discovered there.

Hmmm...
    Naw, he's at the wrong end of the state.

I'm in the same news region as Camp Minden, and there has been a regular monthly (sometimes weekly) parade of articles about "another explosion at Camp Minden".

Re: 3 Kilotons of explosives found in Louisiana.

Exactly, I'm at the wrong end of the state, there's no way you can prove that's my stash!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=Citizen;1860860]At the end of the exercise, the arty boys would just lay the bags out in a long powder train and light one end. Unconfined the stuff just burns and fizzles. And, its not particulary even fast about it.
    /QUOTE]

I was talking to a guy this past August, who's in a 155 unit now. He said the M9 propellant isn't like the old green-bag and white-bag powder. M9 is apparently more like giant, 10-15 lb Pyrodex pellets. Except that Pyrodex just burns if unconfined, and M9 apparently detonates. No more red ignition-booster pads on the bottom of Charge 1 (or Charge 3 white-bag) -- Any one of them will blow, when primed. No more "I see red!" from the powder-monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fgburner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    At the end of the exercise, the arty boys would just lay the bags out in a long powder train and light one end. Unconfined the stuff just burns and fizzles. And, its not particulary even fast about it.
    I was talking to a guy this past August, who's in a 155 unit now. He said the M9 propellant isn't like the old green-bag and white-bag powder. M9 is apparently more like giant, 10-15 lb Pyrodex pellets. Except that Pyrodex just burns if unconfined, and M9 apparently detonates. No more red ignition-booster pads on the bottom of Charge 1 (or Charge 3 white-bag) -- Any one of them will blow, when primed. No more "I see red!" from the powder-monkey.
    This was reported to be M6, the same stuff Citizen was talking about, and that was in use when I was active duty in the late '80s.