• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

3 Kilotons of explosives found in Louisiana.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I liked the comment about the contractor saving it for Fourth of July.

Media and government over-reaction.

Back in the day, after an artillery live-fire exercise, unused powder was burned. Artillery adjusted the trajectory of the shells both by adjusting barrel elevation and the number of bags of powder. Each canister of powder had enough bags of powder for a maximum range shot. If the particular shot didn't use all the bags (most didn't), the unused bag(s) from that canister were set aside for burning at the end of the field exercise.

At the end of the exercise, the arty boys would just lay the bags out in a long powder train and light one end. Unconfined the stuff just burns and fizzles. And, its not particulary even fast about it.

6M pounds would make a mighty impressive powder train, with tremendous amounts of smoke and heat, but that would be all. The volume of smoke would probably be toxic, so evacuating the town--after it ignites--makes sense if the wind direction is right.

But, its been sitting there building up for years and hasn't ignited. Its not like its gonna ignite just because the government and media discovered it.

KBCraig

No sooner than Forum member Jack House leaves TX for LA, we read a story about a huge amount of "explosives" discovered there.

Hmmm...

Naw, he's at the wrong end of the state. :)

I'm in the same news region as Camp Minden, and there has been a regular monthly (sometimes weekly) parade of articles about "another explosion at Camp Minden".

Jack House

Exactly, I'm at the wrong end of the state, there's no way you can prove that's my stash! :p

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

3fgburner

At the end of the exercise, the arty boys would just lay the bags out in a long powder train and light one end. Unconfined the stuff just burns and fizzles. And, its not particulary even fast about it.
/QUOTE]

I was talking to a guy this past August, who's in a 155 unit now. He said the M9 propellant isn't like the old green-bag and white-bag powder. M9 is apparently more like giant, 10-15 lb Pyrodex pellets. Except that Pyrodex just burns if unconfined, and M9 apparently detonates. No more red ignition-booster pads on the bottom of Charge 1 (or Charge 3 white-bag) -- Any one of them will blow, when primed. No more "I see red!" from the powder-monkey.

KBCraig

I was talking to a guy this past August, who's in a 155 unit now. He said the M9 propellant isn't like the old green-bag and white-bag powder. M9 is apparently more like giant, 10-15 lb Pyrodex pellets. Except that Pyrodex just burns if unconfined, and M9 apparently detonates. No more red ignition-booster pads on the bottom of Charge 1 (or Charge 3 white-bag) -- Any one of them will blow, when primed. No more "I see red!" from the powder-monkey.

This was reported to be M6, the same stuff Citizen was talking about, and that was in use when I was active duty in the late '80s.