• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HYPOTHETICAL SB-59 dies, new bill offered

Do you support the bill described below

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

scot623

hypothetical...

SB-59 is dead. New bill offered, what say you.

NO CPL needed to OC in bars/restaurants/Meijer(any liquor licensed place), theaters, Churches/synagogues and NO CPL needed to carry in a vehicle..

BUT!!!

OC is illegal in schools, daycares, hospitals and stadiums.

DO YOU SUPPORT THIS BILL??

Raggs

I think I would agree to this. you should be able to carry in the bolded areas. And it doesn't create another level of privileged people. and as has been argued many times the open carry with a cpl is a grey area for schools, daycares, hospitals and stadium.

hypothetical...

NO CPL needed to OC in bars/restaurants/Meijer(any liquor licensed place), theaters, Churches/synagogues and NO CPL needed to carry in a vehicle..

BUT!!!

griffin

Heck no I don't support your bill! Any new bill should eliminate all PFZs and require all citizens to own firearms and open carry daily. A Kennesaw, Georgia gun bill on steroids, if you will. Anything less will be a compromise!

MikeTheGreek

Heck no I don't support your bill! Any new bill should eliminate all PFZs and require all citizens to own firearms and open carry daily. A Kennesaw, Georgia gun bill on steroids, if you will. Anything less will be a compromise!

First part about eliminating PFZ's, YES. I believe that's a very reasonable goal to set. The second part about requiring to own and carry...haha, that would make the world a better place, but I can't see that EVER happening, especially in Michigan.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
First part about eliminating PFZ's, YES. I believe that's a very reasonable goal to set. The second part about requiring to own and carry...haha, that would make the world a better place, but I can't see that EVER happening, especially in Michigan.
Make it like Kennesaw's law, those who object are exempted. ;)

Small_Arms_Collector

Why would you require everyone to carry but except anyone who objects? That makes no sense. You HAVE To do this, but if you dont want to..fine.

0.o

The exact text of the ordinance is:

[Sec 34-21][18]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
(b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

scot623

Based on the results of the poll so far, it appears this site should change its name to Open Carry with a CPL.org. This law would improve the carry laws in this state for every gun owner who doesn't have a CPL. Interesting results so far.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Why would you require everyone to carry but except anyone who objects? That makes no sense. You HAVE To do this, but if you dont want to..fine.

0.o
Because, to force people to do something is UN-American, sort of like forcing us to buy health insurance, even if we don't want to. DOH. :)

Bronson

hypothetical...

BUT!!!

Yes.

Bronson

B

Bikenut

No.. I would not support such a bill.. or any other bill that has the basic premise that the government should be in control of where, how, why, or for whom, the right to bear arms is "allowed".