• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This Happened Today, Opinions Please

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
NO...... I did not give them my gun.

I took my gun to my truck. I needed to get my Dealers Lic paperwork done. That was not the time to get pissy with them.
After I got the paperwork done I said my complaint to them.

I was trying to not be like one of these jerks that gets into a ******* contest with them. I do not believe that helps our cause.
Yes, I complied and took my gun to my truck but I also stated my case appropriately. I think the outcome was good.

Good Job, Know when to pick your battles.

Last edited:

amlevin

I took my gun to my truck. I needed to get my Dealers Lic paperwork done. That was not the time to get pissy with them.

I was trying to not be like one of these jerks that gets into a ******* contest with them. I do not believe that helps our cause.
Yes, I complied and took my gun to my truck but I also stated my case appropriately. I think the outcome was good.

Congratulations on your intelligent approach. Many here would feel that you should confront authority, even though they have no skin in the game. As it was, you got your task completed and the subsequent complaint was met with a far better response than by getting in their face, pointing out how wrong they are, and then refusing to comply.

Proves one doesn't need to be an A-hole to accomplish the same goals.

davidmcbeth

Banned

Sounded like you did from your OP... good to know you did not give them your gun.

Oh, I get into ******* contests all the time... that's how we preserve our rights. I held a fll for years .... aft came by a few times and tried to scare folks into giving theirs up (after passage of the Brady bill-my neighborhood had like 1/4 of the folks holding class 1 licenses like me) ... it only prompted me to boot them off my land...they said I could not do that as they were being booted off my land....good times

If you had a complaint, the time to voice is during that time period IMO .. afterwards is meaningless. But to each his own.

OC for ME

Seeing as you entered a police station I would have not even considered carrying concealed or open. As others have written, fingerprint areas are used for processing both civilians conducting business or criminals. Laws may be different there but as a practice, I would not even consider carrying my weapon into a police station at all.
You were probably lucky they did not put a set of cuffs on you and question your motives.

Glad you did not make a scene, would have looked bad for the rest of the open/concealed community.
If the carry of a properly holstered firearm into a police station or other government facility is not unlawful why would you not carry? It appears that the LEA cited in the OP knows the law and has remedied the situation encountered by the citizen by re-training their employee(s) and likely formal and/or informal memorandum to ensure future embarrassing occurrences are mitigated.

TheGunMan, well played and +1 to you Sir.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Seeing as you entered a police station I would have not even considered carrying concealed or open. As others have written, fingerprint areas are used for processing both civilians conducting business or criminals. Laws may be different there but as a practice, I would not even consider carrying my weapon into a police station at all.
You were probably lucky they did not put a set of cuffs on you and question your motives.

Glad you did not make a scene, would have looked bad for the rest of the open/concealed community.

1st of all, welcome to OCDO.

Be aware you are reading the Washington forum and carrying in the public spaces of a police station is perfectly legal. Many, including myself have done so on a regular basis. Why should I be disarmed for going about my legal business, as in this case as well?

If they had put cuffs on the OP as you state and/or question his motives then the OP would have been illegally detained. What we ask here on OCDO is to follow the law. We ask that our public officials/police do the same.

What motives would they question? He was there for a legitimate and legal business transaction that is required for his business.

Again, welcome jphoenix, but please read, listen, understand before you give advice that is completely contrary to the culture of OC here in Washington.

sirpuma

Kitsap County Sheriff's office has their fingerprint machine behind a real secure access door. When I was getting printed when renewing my dealer's license recently and had to go beyond the door I informed the clerk lady that I was carrying and asked if they had a lock box to secure it or should I put it in my vehicle. She got her Sergent and asked him. She then told me, no biggie, come on back. LOL They know me in there. I drop off transfer forms often and so I'm in and out of there a lot.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
:banghead: After drinking my coffee and feeding the cats I reread my post and realized during typing half asleep I forgot to include the following "Not sure where you are and I respect each state and or county have different rules/laws regards to the carrying of a weapon in a Government facility." Sorry for being "That Guy" in this case.

I humbly and sincerely bow back and accept your constructive criticism (spelling). Thanks for pointing out my error. :lol:

Well we do like our coffee up here! So drink up!