• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Official SB59 Debate thread

Do you support SB59 in its current (as of 12/1) form?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

detroit_fan

Back on topic...

I do support the bill as written, for a couple reasons. The OC part has been well discussed, and I think the majority of us dislike it, but I also think the advantage of having a "black and white" law that carry is allowed in these places is a good thing. If that was the only part of the bill I would probably oppose it, but it does include some very good things imo, those are-

Elimination of the gun boards. We have all complained about them for a long time, I would be happy to see them go away. They can also no longer force you to appear just to get a CPL, they would have to include what statue they believe would prohibit you from obtaining your CPL in order to make you appear.

Elimination of long waits to get CPL. Currently some counties take several months to issue, under 59 they would only have 45 days from the time you apply to issue or deny you, so no matter where you live you WILL be given an answer in 45 days or less

A requirement that any denial of CPL or denial of PFZ endorsement include an explanation with the statue that they are denying under, and the ability to take them to court and win all fee's costs from them if you win.

A section in 59 says counties CAN NOT force you to fill out any forms or give any information other than the MSP approved CPL application. This would eliminate some of the counties that require "extra" paperwork.

They also could not force you to "prove" you have met the training requirement for renewal, they woudl be prohibited from requiring anything more than a signed statement. This would help in some counties that have tried to make you do re-training for renewal.

Fingerprint access would be better. The bill says this about fingerprints-

Reasonable access to fingerprinting services during normal business hours as is necessary to comply with the requirements of this act The failure of a county sheriff to maintain fingerprinting capability in compliance with this act or to provide reasonable access to fingerprinting services during normal business hours to applicants for a concealed pistol license on the day of application does not affect the 45-day period from the date of application in which the licensing authority is required to issue or deny a license.

So with all of that said, I do think there is more good than bad in the bill. I also think the bill is dead and not going to pass, but that is just a feeling I have.

Raggs

The only comment on what you said is this, you point out many good things for the CC crowd and I totally agree that it is good for them, there is nothing good for OC at all, and this is an OC site not a CC site.

I do support the bill as written, for a couple reasons. The OC part has been well discussed, and I think the majority of us dislike it, but I also think the advantage of having a "black and white" law that carry is allowed in these places is a good thing. If that was the only part of the bill I would probably oppose it, but it does include some very good things imo, those are-

Elimination of the gun boards. We have all complained about them for a long time, I would be happy to see them go away. They can also no longer force you to appear just to get a CPL, they would have to include what statue they believe would prohibit you from obtaining your CPL in order to make you appear.

Elimination of long waits to get CPL. Currently some counties take several months to issue, under 59 they would only have 45 days from the time you apply to issue or deny you, so no matter where you live you WILL be given an answer in 45 days or less

A requirement that any denial of CPL or denial of PFZ endorsement include an explanation with the statue that they are denying under, and the ability to take them to court and win all fee's costs from them if you win.

A section in 59 says counties CAN NOT force you to fill out any forms or give any information other than the MSP approved CPL application. This would eliminate some of the counties that require "extra" paperwork.

They also could not force you to "prove" you have met the training requirement for renewal, they woudl be prohibited from requiring anything more than a signed statement. This would help in some counties that have tried to make you do re-training for renewal.

Fingerprint access would be better. The bill says this about fingerprints-

Reasonable access to fingerprinting services during normal business hours as is necessary to comply with the requirements of this act The failure of a county sheriff to maintain fingerprinting capability in compliance with this act or to provide reasonable access to fingerprinting services during normal business hours to applicants for a concealed pistol license on the day of application does not affect the 45-day period from the date of application in which the licensing authority is required to issue or deny a license.

So with all of that said, I do think there is more good than bad in the bill. I also think the bill is dead and not going to pass, but that is just a feeling I have.

detroit_fan

The only comment on what you said is this, you point out many good things for the CC crowd and I totally agree that it is good for them, there is nothing good for OC at all, and this is an OC site not a CC site.

well, lets get technical here...

In MI you can OC without a CPL, but you are very limited on where. So most of us(i think) who OC do so with a CPL. This bill makes getting that CPL easier(for the reasons i mentioned), therefore making it easier to OC in more places, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:

griffin

there is nothing good for OC at all

It eliminates the gun boards. That is good for almost all OCers.

It shortens the CPL wait time and provides for relief if abused. That is good for almost all OCers.

It codifies legal carry in formerly PFZs. And even though it mandates CC in those areas, it does affect and is good for all, including most OCers.

How is this bill not good for almost all OCers?

DaveP

I doubt it's going to pass, suspect many groups (not firearm users ) will be out to fight
it in the house.
I seldom OC so it's good for me and most that carry. I know some that OC a lot who
do not carry in the PFZs.....don't want to be a test case.
I'd rather be able to CC in them without worry and the bill provides this.
Dave

B

Bikenut

Here is my main concern with the current version of SB59...

The bill would have set a precedent by specifically targeting the ability to open carry itself as being illegal. And once that had been done for one set of places it could be used as a platform from which to expand the elimination of open carry in more places.

Perhaps I'm being overly concerned.. perhaps not. Perhaps I'm even misunderstanding the language of the bill and how our government works.

However I do not believe it would be wise to overlook that possibility just in order to "gain" a few conveniences or yet another government controlled privilege.

I think the bill not only offers the "carrot" for a few CPL folks who can afford the costs of the new permit to be able to concealed carry in current PFZ while eliminating the current ability to OC in those PFZ's for ALL those who have a CPL.... but also could end up "stick"ing it to open carry itself in the long run.

DanM

For the record, I'm just as dubious of the "I can't afford the enhanced training" line as I am of the "I can't afford a handgun, so I'll OC my rifle" line.

If you own 20 guns and you say you can't afford this class, I'm gonna have to call bull.

Someone can own multiple guns and now not be able to afford "enhanced" training, because life's circumstances change. I own multiple guns, including Glocks, an AR, and an AK. I also got laid off from the job that afforded my ability to obtain those. I took a huge negative hit to my income in taking my current job. I'm not going to sell my extra guns, because my priority is to give them to my children and step-children to start them off in self-defense preparedness and contribute my part to expanding the population of gun owners. The money I can allocate to training right now only covers the range fees, ammo, targets, transportation, etc. I need just for my ongoing shooting proficiency.

If someone has 20 guns, maybe they've got more kids/grandkids they're planning on giving those to soon. Or maybe they are in a dicey financial situation and want to keep them as a safety net in case they need to sell them for more necessary items like medicine, house payments, food, etc.

So, I do give the benefit of assuming it's true when a multiple-gun owner says they can't afford "enhanced" training. Right now, I'm one. I'm sure other people are in their own circumstances which might make them one as well.

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

I am "a greater number of people".
I have a washington state, resident, concealled pistol permit,, Honored by michigan.
If sb59 passes,,, I will not be allowed to be armed for my self defense while I shop for food,,,
because the store also sells beer!!!

SB59 doesnt improve the "rights" of ANYONE in michigan!
It does detract from the "permitted" lawful self defense of the citizens of all the other states.
If you support sb59,,,, thanks for nothing!

I stepped on my junk here,,, didnt study 234d close enough,,, sorry,,, But
SB59 Will,,, affect folks from other states,, we cant get a check mark on our permit regardless of our training,, so,
no CC in PFZs.. If SB59 is passed.

Point of clarification, you'd still be able to shop for food, as Meijers, Walmart, et. al. would fall under MCL 750.234d, not MCL 28.425o.

Somewhere else, you also said that SB59 does not change 234d,,, But of the 8 places covered by 234d, five are already
PFZs anyway.. Three others wont change either way... They are, small theaters, banks and stores that also sell booze/beer...

The prohibition of OC in the PFZ's (MCL 28.425o) in Michigan are for persons licensed under the act (Act 372 of 1927) with the exemption.

MCL 750.234d, exempts persons from this state or another state with a license to carry a concealed pistol.

Now here is a thing I just cant fathom,,,.. Am I "licensed under the act"?,, or am I just a guy with a license from any other state?
Either way,, I cant get a check mark on my license, no matter how much training I get,,,
So When SB59 passes, I will not be able to CONCEALED CARRY a pistol in a GUN FREE ZONE under 425o...

This kind of makes me sad....

Last edited:

DanM

Sure, it will get rid of the PFZs but, only if I take ANOTHER stupid class that I really don't need. . . .

I don't consider the exchange of OC for CC in PFZs to be a "wash" as some make it out to be. First, and chiefly, if we go from visible guns to hiding our guns--in any place--that directly contradicts one of the main goals of OC: to normalize the population to handgun carry by visibly doing it. A distand second, it's not an even exchange: in addition to exchanging OC for CC in PFZs, you also have to throw in money for "enhanced" training that currently is not required for OC in PFZs.

Big Gay Al said:
Add to that, when I do CC in the PFZs, I'll have to be sure that my pistol is covered adequately, so no one goes around screaming "He's OCing in a PFZ, quick, call the po-po!"

This is a significant concern I've written about as well. And it has really happened in other states that outlaw OC or pistol exposure that CC'ers have been charged as if they violated those bans intentionally when they inadvertently printed or exposed their firearm.

1245A Defender

Wellie Wowwow!!!

I wish,,, really, wish,,, Someone, Anyone,,,
Tell me,,, and everyone else the, down right dirty, nitty gritty, rats ass,,,,
terms of SB59... I want to know what the PFCs are,,, How does this bill affect the other things,,,
that effect gun carryiers in michigan.

I need a synopsis,,, could anyone explain it in simple terms?
can it be bioled down to simple terms?

Please help,,, Im studying,, 28.425o,,, 750.234d,,, the back of your CPL...

Your state is described as a traditional Open carry state,,,BUT it is not!!! You are a MESS!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
The prohibition of OC in the PFZ's (MCL 28.425o) in Michigan are for persons licensed under the act (Act 372 of 1927) with the exemption.

MCL 750.234d, exempts persons from this state or another state with a license to carry a concealed pistol.

That is how I read it as well. This law only applies to a person licensed under the Michigan Act. A non-resident with their home permit will still be able to OC in the place listed in 28.425o. And as Q said this still allows you to carry in all the places not prohibited by law, like Kroger, etc...

Venator

How many people (legally) CC in a PFZ? Zero. How many people OC in a PFZ? Any body with a CPL that wants to. With it passing I'll have to pay for the "privilege" to CC when I can all ready OC.

Or get written permission. As I stated several times permission was always needed in the private places listed in 5o. You either had explicit or implied permission. It's an extra step is all.

TheQ

That is how I read it as well. This law only applies to a person licensed under the Michigan Act. A non-resident with their home permit will still be able to OC in the place listed in 28.425o. And as Q said this still allows you to carry in all the places not prohibited by law, like Kroger, etc...

It's not a case I'd care to test as an out of state resident, but under a plain-letter reading of the proposed law, if you don't have an MI CPL and you have an out if state CPL, you could still OC in a 28.425o zone.

TheQ

Or get written permission. As I stated several times permission was always needed in the private places listed in 5o. You either had explicit or implied permission. It's an extra step is all.

BTW, that written permission exception wasn't originally there. Somebody we know worked for it...

Venator

It's not a case I'd care to test as an out of state resident, but under a plain-letter reading of the proposed law, if you don't have an MI CPL and you have an out if state CPL, you could still OC in a 28.425o zone.

Yeah, that plain reading of the law will throw you off....:rolleyes:

1245A Defender

Well,,, or is it Wowwie!!!

Under my plain reading of the current law,,,, ANYONE!!! without a CPL or with an out of state CPL can OC IN a GFZ under 425o...
The law is wrote in a negitive kind of way.

those "licensed under this act" shall not carry concealed....

Last edited:

mudvr1212

All that extra training just to cover my firearm with my shirt when I can already open carry there under current law. No thanks! I've already passed your training requirement to cover up in almost every other place in Michigan, so why do I need to shoot another 98 (who comes up with that number anyway, because if you shoot 97 bullets you aren't able enough to conceal) bullets and waste 8 hours in a classroom to hide my firearm in those places? Really, what is SO special about those places Michigan Law Makers?

TheQ

All that extra training just to cover my firearm with my shirt when I can already open carry there under current law. No thanks! I've already passed your training requirement to cover up in almost every other place in Michigan, so why do I need to shoot another 98 (who comes up with that number anyway, because if you shoot 97 bullets you aren't able enough to conceal) bullets and waste 8 hours in a classroom to hide my firearm in those places? Really, what is SO special about those places Michigan Law Makers?

98 rounds is an NRA requirement, IIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.