• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Official SB59 Debate thread

Do you support SB59 in its current (as of 12/1) form?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeInAZ

for me the question isn't ... What do i have to lose... Or ... What do i have to gain... But is...

What does the government have to gain? Because whatever the government gains is what i lose. And any privilege given by the government means the government gained more power and control over exercising the right to bear arms.

Now i have a question.... And it bypasses all the "what's in it for certain groups of gun owners (really more like folks from each group asking .. What's in it for me.)" mental gymnastics being used to justify supporting sb59.......

"if open carry is presently legal because there aren't any laws that make open carry itself illegal......... Wouldn't a law that makes open carry illegal by specific language mentioning "openly carrying", even if only in pfzs, create the precedent of creating law that specifically makes the simple act of open carry itself illegal?"

the term "unintended consequences" comes to my mind.............

^^^ this! +1

Gort

How is it a right if you have to have a CPL to do it? Why are you ok with having to take a class and pay for CPL? OC in a PFZ w/ a CPL is a privilege, not a right.

Yes A cpl gives people a privlege to carry a gun concealed, we lost the Right.
The government takes away your right to carry a gun, by creating unjust laws then gives people a way to get their lost gun carry back, by kissing *** and paying for the priviledge to carry a gun.

Now the government, will put an end to the loophole of open carry in a PFZ
create new laws. And people will line up to Kiss*** and Pay for the privledge.

I know the Kiss*** is bothersome but true.
I have a Cpl and it was discusting.

Gort

I'll say it again and I'll say it 200 more times. Our right to open carry in pistol fee zones is not a loophole or gray area. Even the anti-gun MSP agrees that it's legal. The mindset that led to this thinking comes from anti-gunners. If there is no existing law banning or criminalizing open carry then it's not a criminal act. Just because the law makers didn't take something into account when drafting laws doesn't mean it's a loophole. It's a loophole or gray area to me because they have an agenda. The fact is the more complicated and "Compromise for the greater good" we are the more messes we get ourselves in to. Criminalizing open carry is a terrible idea and greater good or not I don't support criminalizing any form of our natural rights to carry a firearm. Any firearm!

Lawmakers are taking Open Carry into account by Outlawing Open Carry in PFZ and making it A Criminal Act. If its not written into law, It will be Under SB59.

I am against this bill just to be clear.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Brian. Just a follow up on a citation for this. Mike
Mike, can a private property owner ban firearms?

As it is now if you don't have a CPL and you get permission to carry in those places listed in .234d you can OC a firearm. Without a CPL you can not carry a firearm in a school (some exceptions). If you do not have a CPL and you carry in those places listed in .234d without permission (or meet the other exemptions) it is a misdemeanor.

At present if you have a CPL and carry OC in those places listed in .234d you are not violating a firearm law, BUT IF the place is private property they can have you trespassed. My point is in both of these examples (With or without a CPL) you needed permission in the private property places.

If the law changes a person with or without a CPL can still OC in those private places with written permission. A CPL holder could even OC in those public places listed in 5o with written permission.

If a CPL holder intentionally OCs in a place listed in 5o without written permission then they COULD be guilty of a civil infraction with the fines and suspension. I suspect the enforcement of this statue would depend on the views of the County prosecutor and Sheriff.

I hope that is clearer.

AND BY PUBLIC I mean publicly owned..government, etc.

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Give me a freaking break. Here we go with the blood in the streets argument. It's one of many to come if SB 59 passes.
"Our state universities are some of the safest places you can be, and this bill, we think, will impede our commitment to the safety and security of our universities."

ETA: Openly without the extra training is already legal!!!!! Excuse me, I'm going to go bash my head against a hard wall.
"I'm not sure we want people carrying weapons either openly or concealed in large sports arenas, in classes, in emergency rooms, in daycare centers," he said.

Last edited:

griffin

Can you site where in SB59 it states you can OC by obtaining permission?

Have you read the bill?
dunno.gif

(10) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(h), shall not intentionally display or openly carry a pistol on the premises listed in subsection (1)(a) to (h) unless the individual owns the premises described in subsection (1) or is employed or contracted by the owner or other person with control over the premises described in subsection (1), if the possession of the firearm is to provide security services for the premises or is otherwise in the scope of the individual's official duties, or the individual is acting with the express written consent of the owner of the premises or an agent of the owner of the premises.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billengrossed/Senate/htm/2011-SEBS-0059.htm

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
- can a private property owner ban firearms? Yes, they can ban whatever they want. Its their property.

- can you site where in sb59 it states you can oc by obtaining permission?

- last i saw the bill banned open carry at the request of the governor. How could that be overcome if his requirement was removed? He'd simply veto it.

- this seems to be to be quote misleading "at present if you have a cpl and carry oc in those places listed in .234d you are not violating a firearm law, but if the place is private property they can have you trespassed.". Why bring trespassing into the conversation? You must first be asked to leave before being cited for trespassing. Anyone regardless if they're carrying a firearm or not can be cited with trespassing.

(10) an individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol, or who is exempt from licensure under section 12a(1)(h), shall not intentionally display or openly carry a pistol on the premises listed in subsection (1)(a) to (h) unless the
individual owns the premises described in subsection (1) or is employed or contracted by the owner or other person with control over the premises described in subsection (1), if the possession of the firearm is to provide security services for the premises or is otherwise in the scope of the individual's official duties, or the individual is acting with the express written consent of the owner of the premises or an agent of the owner of the premises.

Raggs

Glad you agree. But then why has he made dozens of posts telling MOC what they should do?

Edited to remove smiley face.

Because, perhaps, MOC tried to make this sound like a GREAT deal on a forum, this one, that is pro open carry. Perhaps because the message was delivered badly? He has every right to state his opinion. To bad he is being attacked instead of given a fair chance make his point with such close minded people.

B

Bikenut

The following is my opinion only....

MOC comes to OCDO and makes an announcement about it's decision to support SB59.

How could anyone NOT expect folks from OCDO to ask questions and/or express their opinions concerning MOC's decision?

And how could MOC expect all the questions and/or opinions to be favorable?

And if MOC didn't want to hear or respond to questions and/or opinions about their decision from folks on OCDO then there should not have been an announcement from MOC about that decision on OCDO.

In short... MOC has every right to make whatever decisions it wishes for whatever reasons it wants..... but if MOC didn't want to answer questions or hear opinions from non members it should not have made an announcement in a place filled with................. non members.

But how MOC, and it's leadership, responds to the questions and opinions (that it invited from non members by posting it in a place it knows is inhabited by folks who are not members of MOC) speaks volumes about MOC itself.

As I said... all of that is my personal opinion...

scot623

MOC didn't want to hear or respond to questions and/or opinions about their decision from folks on OCDO then there should not have been an announcement from MOC about that decision on OCDO

To be fair, whether or not MOC posted its decision to support SB59 on OCDO, it WAS without a doubt going to be discussed OCDO. On that I'm sure we can agree.

Raggs

The following is my opinion only....

MOC comes to OCDO and makes an announcement about it's decision to support SB59.

How could anyone NOT expect folks from OCDO to ask questions and/or express their opinions concerning MOC's decision?

And how could MOC expect all the questions and/or opinions to be favorable?

And if MOC didn't want to hear or respond to questions and/or opinions about their decision from folks on OCDO then there should not have been an announcement from MOC about that decision on OCDO.

In short... MOC has every right to make whatever decisions it wishes for whatever reasons it wants..... but if MOC didn't want to answer questions or hear opinions from non members it should not have made an announcement in a place filled with................. non members.

But how MOC, and it's leadership, responds to the questions and opinions (that it invited from non members by posting it in a place it knows is inhabited by folks who are not members of MOC) speaks volumes about MOC itself.

As I said... all of that is my personal opinion...

well said

B

Bikenut

To be fair, whether or not MOC posted its decision to support SB59 on OCDO, it WAS without a doubt going to be discussed OCDO. On that I'm sure we can agree.
Of course MOC's decision would be discussed on OCDO.. and other gun rights forums too... but by posting an announcement of it's decision on OCDO MOC put itself in a position of having invited questions and opinions concerning that decision be directed at MOC... from anyone, members and non members of MOC, who are members OCDO's forum.

If an organization, any organization!, wishes to maintain it's credibility and be respected as a worthy organization then it would behoove it, and it's leadership, to rise above using ridicule and insults as responses.... especially when responding to those who are rude.

Last edited by a moderator:

detroit_fan

Of course MOC's decision would be discussed on OCDO.. and other gun rights forums too... but by posting an announcement of it's decision on OCDO MOC put itself in a position of having invited questions and opinions concerning that decision be directed at MOC... from anyone, members and non members of MOC, who are members OCDO's forum.

How so? I see people give a press release all the time and then not take questions or comments on it. Obviously MOC can't stop comments, but I think they are certainly within their rights to decline to answer any more questions, especially since this isn't their forum.

Having said that, MOC DID answer questions, and has stated numerous times why it make the decision it did. What question do you think MOC still needs to answer? It seems some who are against 59 just want to ask the same questions over and over, not sure what the point of that is? Do people expect MOC to change their stance? Do people think if they say something enough times it will become true?

DanM

How so? I see people give a press release all the time and then not take questions or comments on it. Obviously MOC can't stop comments, but I think they are certainly within their rights to decline to answer any more questions
I took Bikenut's point as MOC invited questions, not that they have to take or answer them. However, many including myself, are of the opinion that among what separates great organizations from the rest is the ability to take and respond effectively to criticism.

detroit_fan said:
Having said that, MOC DID answer questions, and has stated numerous times why it make the decision it did. What question do you think MOC still needs to answer?
Question about MOC's philosophy on use of open carry gatherings.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-s-philosophy-on-use-of-open-carry-gatherings

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.