Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banks and Credit Unions...

Banks and Credit Unions...

What are the laws pertaining them for carry? I was under the impression, it was ok, providing no signage, corporate policy. My boss swears if it's federally insured, it's off limits. I was going to carry to my credit union, Bronco Federal Credit Union this week, to replace my credit card.

Do I have this information wrong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    What are the laws pertaining them for carry? I was under the impression, it was ok, providing no signage, corporate policy. My boss swears if it's federally insured, it's off limits. I was going to carry to my credit union, Bronco Federal Credit Union this week, to replace my credit card.

Your boss is sadly mistaken.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Re: Banks and Credit Unions...

This is what i thought. He does come from cali...I'm not sure of the laws on banks there.

Last edited by mpguy; 12-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99635

Virginia Open Carry Flyers & Information Cards - STICKY
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99635

Virginia Open Carry Flyers & Information Cards - STICKY
    I saw that, and I'm looking to print out the VCDL paper as soon as I remember where to look for it. Checking VCDL website now.

I saw that, and I'm looking to print out the VCDL paper as soon as I remember where to look for it. Checking VCDL website now.
    You could order Ed's cards. They are pretty awesome as well.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    This is what i thought. He does come from cali...I'm not sure of the laws on banks there.

Tell your boss this is Virginia. We eat Bar B Q, not Tofu and can carry in banks!
    Last edited by peter nap; 12-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    We eat Bar B Q
    Having grown up in Texas I take exception to this!!!

Meat in bar b q sauce ain't bar b q.

Tell your boss this is Virginia. We eat Bar B Q.....
    Well, some of you do
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
    You could order Ed's cards. They are pretty awesome as well.
    Yes, you could.. and thanks!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Well, some of you do
    Lol.

I found it, the tri-folder. I think I'll invite him along this week during lunch, pending me working the nerve up to do it. This weekend, I went to break a $100 bill, and went to Xenith *spelling may be off* bank, while I was in downtown Suffolk. Saw a no gun sign, so trucked across the parking lot to Precision Pawn, and broke it there. Enjoyed window shoping the hand guns, and rifles they had. I had set in stone, at the first of the year I was getting a bolt action rifle. I'd like to pick up a 9mm semi auto if i can, just can't decide on which. Decisions sucks some times...

I've heard banks mentioned as "no carry" places several times. They seem to get unjustly lumped into that category frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Yes, you could.. and thanks!
    I saw your card. I'll see what I can do in the next few weeks to get a mail out, with a few bucks to donate to the cause.
    Last edited by mpguy; 12-03-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Tell your boss this is Virginia. We eat Bar B Q, not Tofu and can carry in banks!
    I like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Federally insured does not equal Federal building.
    Your car insured by Geiko does not make your car owned by the Geiko corporation.

However, like any private business, can have their own "now gun/weapons" policy.
    Any representative of a privately owned business may ask you to leave (trespassing if you don't).

IANAL, this is general rules, always check specifics within your state's laws.
    "Guns are not the problem … crazy is the problem” ... “We cannot legislate our society to the craziest amongst us.” - Jon Stewart
    “I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." - Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sega View Post
    Federally insured does not equal Federal building.
    Your car insured by Geiko does not make your car owned by the Geiko corporation.

However, like any private business, can have their own "now gun/weapons" policy.
    Any representative of a privately owned business may ask you to leave (trespassing if you don't).

IANAL, this is general rules, always check specifics within your state's laws.
    That's not true. The employee has to have been given you the authority to ask you to leave in order to prove trespassing.

Founder's Club Member

A good policy is to request the asserter to provide the statute. I know that's a little tricky politically with a boss and maybe not the workable solution. But, its not your job to confirm another's assertion. If someone claims to know the law, just ask them how they came by that knowledge. Usually it is some form of "I heard it from..."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    A good policy is to request the asserter to provide the statute. I know that's a little tricky politically with a boss and maybe not the workable solution. But, its not your job to confirm another's assertion. If someone claims to know the law, just ask them how they came by that knowledge. Usually it is some form of "I heard it from..."
    In this case, I'm betting his boss will say something about the bank being Federal property, due to being Federally insured. Which we all know is wrong. The car insurance analogy mentioned a few posts back usually works to fix that assumption.

I went in today, to reissue my card, with digital recorder going. Nothing was said, and if it was noticed, *I'm sure of one lady that saw* nothing came of it. Will test the waters a few more weeks.

Unfortunately, this is one persistent "wives tale" that seems to never die. The Virginia references, while good for BBQ vs. tofu, really don't help here, since the assertion is that it is a federal issue, not a state issue.

My first CHP class instructor quite adamantly insisted that this was the case as well. This was way back when I was much less informed than I am now, so I didn't know any better to correct him. I've run into other similar situations with people who think they know more than they do. One particularly annoying security desk clerk at a local hospital insisted that it was against the law to carry a gun in a hospital. I politely suggested that she seek a refund from her "security officer training class", which for some reason was not at all well received... I was polite, if somewhat sarcastic, and suggested that they try to find the law, if they were so sure it existed, a task which I would bet my bottom dollar was never even attempted.

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

My first CHP class instructor quite adamantly insisted that this was the case as well.
    Thank goodness your second CHP class instructor was more knowledgeable than the first!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Thank goodness your second CHP class instructor was more knowledgeable than the first!
    Oh CHP instructors do all sorts of things. I heard of one up North that was advertising outta state certificates but didn't fulfill all the requirements.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Oh CHP instructors do all sorts of things. I heard of one up North that was advertising outta state certificates but didn't fulfill all the requirements.
    The operative word is "was" - Yes? No?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    The operative word is "was" - Yes? No?
    Yes..."Was"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Yes..."Was"
    Hillary's housemate would appreciate the point of that exchange.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast