• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Banks and Credit Unions...

mpguy

What are the laws pertaining them for carry? I was under the impression, it was ok, providing no signage, corporate policy. My boss swears if it's federally insured, it's off limits. I was going to carry to my credit union, Bronco Federal Credit Union this week, to replace my credit card.

Do I have this information wrong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
What are the laws pertaining them for carry? I was under the impression, it was ok, providing no signage, corporate policy. My boss swears if it's federally insured, it's off limits. I was going to carry to my credit union, Bronco Federal Credit Union this week, to replace my credit card.

Your boss is sadly mistaken.

mpguy

This is what i thought. He does come from cali...I'm not sure of the laws on banks there.

Last edited:

Anonymouse

I saw that, and I'm looking to print out the VCDL paper as soon as I remember where to look for it. Checking VCDL website now.

You could order Ed's cards. They are pretty awesome as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This is what i thought. He does come from cali...I'm not sure of the laws on banks there.

Tell your boss this is Virginia. We eat Bar B Q, not Tofu and can carry in banks!:monkey

Last edited:

mpguy

Well, some of you do :)

Lol.

I found it, the tri-folder. I think I'll invite him along this week during lunch, pending me working the nerve up to do it. This weekend, I went to break a $100 bill, and went to Xenith *spelling may be off* bank, while I was in downtown Suffolk. Saw a no gun sign, so trucked across the parking lot to Precision Pawn, and broke it there. Enjoyed window shoping the hand guns, and rifles they had. I had set in stone, at the first of the year I was getting a bolt action rifle. I'd like to pick up a 9mm semi auto if i can, just can't decide on which. Decisions sucks some times...:rolleyes:

WhatTimeIsIt?

I've heard banks mentioned as "no carry" places several times. They seem to get unjustly lumped into that category frequently.

Lord Sega

Federally insured does not equal Federal building.
Your car insured by Geiko does not make your car owned by the Geiko corporation.

However, like any private business, can have their own "now gun/weapons" policy.
Any representative of a privately owned business may ask you to leave (trespassing if you don't).

IANAL, this is general rules, always check specifics within your state's laws.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Federally insured does not equal Federal building.
Your car insured by Geiko does not make your car owned by the Geiko corporation.

However, like any private business, can have their own "now gun/weapons" policy.
Any representative of a privately owned business may ask you to leave (trespassing if you don't).

IANAL, this is general rules, always check specifics within your state's laws.

That's not true. The employee has to have been given you the authority to ask you to leave in order to prove trespassing.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

A good policy is to request the asserter to provide the statute. I know that's a little tricky politically with a boss and maybe not the workable solution. But, its not your job to confirm another's assertion. If someone claims to know the law, just ask them how they came by that knowledge. Usually it is some form of "I heard it from..."

Riana

A good policy is to request the asserter to provide the statute. I know that's a little tricky politically with a boss and maybe not the workable solution. But, its not your job to confirm another's assertion. If someone claims to know the law, just ask them how they came by that knowledge. Usually it is some form of "I heard it from..."

In this case, I'm betting his boss will say something about the bank being Federal property, due to being Federally insured. Which we all know is wrong. The car insurance analogy mentioned a few posts back usually works to fix that assumption.

mpguy

I went in today, to reissue my card, with digital recorder going. Nothing was said, and if it was noticed, *I'm sure of one lady that saw* nothing came of it. Will test the waters a few more weeks.

TFred

Unfortunately, this is one persistent "wives tale" that seems to never die. The Virginia references, while good for BBQ vs. tofu, really don't help here, since the assertion is that it is a federal issue, not a state issue.

My first CHP class instructor quite adamantly insisted that this was the case as well. This was way back when I was much less informed than I am now, so I didn't know any better to correct him. I've run into other similar situations with people who think they know more than they do. One particularly annoying security desk clerk at a local hospital insisted that it was against the law to carry a gun in a hospital. I politely suggested that she seek a refund from her "security officer training class", which for some reason was not at all well received... :rolleyes: I was polite, if somewhat sarcastic, and suggested that they try to find the law, if they were so sure it existed, a task which I would bet my bottom dollar was never even attempted.

TFred