• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Did anyone else see this....

Ctclassic

upon further review................they posted a link to a copy of his application!!! I'm thinking thats gotta cross the line...Rich,anyone?

Rich B

By law, there is nothing illegal about the disclosure of this information:

(d) Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 1-210 and 1-211, the name and address of a person issued a permit to sell at retail pistols and revolvers pursuant to subsection (a) of this section or a state or a temporary state permit to carry a pistol or revolver pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, or a local permit to carry pistols and revolvers issued by local authorities prior to October 1, 2001, shall be confidential and shall not be disclosed, except (1) such information may be disclosed to law enforcement officials acting in the performance of their duties, (2) the issuing authority may disclose such information to the extent necessary to comply with a request made pursuant to section 29-33 for verification that such state or temporary state permit is still valid and has not been suspended or revoked, and the local authority may disclose such information to the extent necessary to comply with a request made pursuant to section 29-33 for verification that a local permit is still valid and has not been suspended or revoked, and (3) such information may be disclosed to the Commissioner of Mental Health and Addiction Services to carry out the provisions of subsection (c) of section 17a-500.

However, Connecticut Carry is currently fighting the state and towns on various fronts about their unwillingness to allow access to relevant permit data where the state claims that they can never disclose really anything about the pistol permit applications they have by blatantly misinterpreting that statute to include applicants, not permit holders.

Of course, it is hard to tell how the laws of confidentiality apply when the subject is dead, since he most definitely will never obtain the permit.

One thing is for sure, the police and agencies in this state sure play fast and loose with the rules and, not surprisingly, the interpretation always benefits their interests.

brk913

I just wish the geniuses at Vernon PD had the decency to redact the Instructor's information off the application, I have been fielding calls from the media both here in CT and Wyoming.....

Last edited:

bushi01

Unfortunately the media has nothing better ti di than create unneeded fear in people. There always has to be an angle for another story. This unfortunately will lead to the "what is he had a gun" line of thinking. UGH!!! In regards to taking the instructors name off the application I would think that they would have at least afforded you that courtesy. I attended your class over the summer and you did an excellent job and are a wealth of knowledge. It is unfortunate that now in some way your name is associated with this.

davidmcbeth

Banned
upon further review................they posted a link to a copy of his application!!! I'm thinking thats gotta cross the line...Rich,anyone?

Its an actual argument that I am making -- the information cannot be mandatory if others can see it -- like your employer information.

I wrote "not relevant" on the DPS form & objected to this information on the board's questionnaire ... and the board agreed with me...not required.

People who put this information down are just willing to "play the game" to the detriment of their employment.