• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns for Flu Shots

decklin

I really wasn't sure where to post this and didn't see it already being discussed.
Mods, please move if needed.
Apparently Worcester, MA is conducting a gun buy back program that is the first of it's kind (That I know of). Here is a link for a very well written article on the subject.

http://www.naturalnews.com/038187_gun_buyback_flu_shot_Massachesetts.html

I would actually be interested to know how many firearms they received.

Logan 5

I think the buybacks are great. It gets guns out of the hands of those too stupid to know what their rights are. A government supported version of Darwinism, if I may.

Just think, if they'll trade their guns for what is normally a free inoculation and a few dollars, would you want them watching your back during a civil war?

A friend from years back told me this would justify buying old junk guns. Pick up a dozen piece of crap guns and when a buy back hits you could make a tidy profit.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I think the buybacks are great. It gets guns out of the hands of those too stupid to know what their rights are. A government supported version of Darwinism, if I may.

Just think, if they'll trade their guns for what is normally a free inoculation and a few dollars, would you want them watching your back during a civil war?

A friend from years back told me this would justify buying old junk guns. Pick up a dozen piece of crap guns and when a buy back hits you could make a tidy profit.

The problem with your proposition is that it establishes, in the mind of the general public, that the buy-back is actually getting the right guns off the streets. I'll give you a not-so-crisp FRN if you can provide documentation of a criminal turning in an illegally possessed firearm at one of these events.

An additional problem caused by buy-back programs is that they interfere with commerce, and often cheat the person turning in the firearm. If Granny no longer wants her late husband's Postal Meter M-1 carbine laying around in the back of the closet, that's just fine with me. But to exchange it for a gift card (usually under $100) and then destroy it causes the state/locality to lose tax money that would have been realized from the "controlled" sale at a price based on value as a collector's piece.

If you cannot/will not set up a spot on the sidewalk where you offer to buy for cash the guns being brough for turn-in then at least consider setting up with a copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values and helping the folks discover the worth of what they are bringing to be destroyed. f it's legal, set up a deal with your favorite FFL for a commission on every gun you send to them - that way Grammy, you and the FFL all make money from the deal, and of course you will all be paying the appropriate taxes which helps the locality's budget. Win/Win/Win/Win.

stay safe.