Thread: Spokane Ice Palace, 2012 edition

Spokane Ice Palace, 2012 edition

If you remember, I've OCd at the Spokane Ice Palace twice now, last year and the year before. Security has hassled me both times, the first time requiring me to disarm or they would force me to leave, the second time (After I received written verification from the Spokane Police Department, and City Parks representative) "requesting" that I disarm.

Well once again winter is in the air, and my six year old and almost-four year old girls are begging to be taken skating again. Therefore, I announce to all interested parties that I will be holding the third-annual Open Carry Ice Skate tomorrow (Tuesday 12/4) night from 7pm-8:30pm at the Riverfront Park Ice Palace, and invite you all to come join me. It's $2 Tuesdays (rental extra), and for those of you who don't feel comfortable on the ice, there's coffee and hot chocolate available in the concession stand and comfortable (hah!) seating ringside.

Hope to see some friendly faces there tomorrow night, and if not, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Cheers,

Rory

Quote Originally Posted by country.hacker View Post
    If you remember, I've OCd at the Spokane Ice Palace twice now, last year and the year before. Security has hassled me both times, the first time requiring me to disarm or they would force me to leave, the second time (After I received written verification from the Spokane Police Department, and City Parks representative) "requesting" that I disarm.

Well once again winter is in the air, and my six year old and almost-four year old girls are begging to be taken skating again. Therefore, I announce to all interested parties that I will be holding the third-annual Open Carry Ice Skate tomorrow (Tuesday 12/4) night from 7pm-8:30pm at the Riverfront Park Ice Palace, and invite you all to come join me. It's $2 Tuesdays (rental extra), and for those of you who don't feel comfortable on the ice, there's coffee and hot chocolate available in the concession stand and comfortable (hah!) seating ringside.

Hope to see some friendly faces there tomorrow night, and if not, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Cheers,

Rory
    To bad it is so far, my wife would love to do that (so would I) no rental necessary. IMHO: it would be nice to have a legally hassel free skate.

just a heads up

Last time i was in Riverfront Park (Pig Out In The Park) I checked the big sign by the water feature and carosel. It still read that firearms were not allowed in the park(or words to that effect). Just be prepared for security to hassel you. Because we all know that they are the most well informed people that the city can hire for that job.

Drat! Just noticed when it was posted and just realized what day it is. Its hell getting old. Hope everything went ok.
    Last edited by darkside; 12-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Well it turned out pretty anti-climactic, we were a little late so there were a bunch of people on the ice when we got there. The security guys (Pretty sure they were the same ones from last year) hung out beside the rink for about 30 minutes but didn't catch my eye (not like I was trying to get their attention), and nobody else said a word. Hopefully they got the word that carry is legal, and harassing citizens is not allowed.

Chalk this down as a win!

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    Last time i was in Riverfront Park (Pig Out In The Park) I checked the big sign by the water feature and carosel. It still read that firearms were not allowed in the park(or words to that effect). Just be prepared for security to hassel you.
    Just remember, if they lay hands on you to wrongfully eject you, they have breached the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    Just remember, if they lay hands on you to wrongfully eject you, they have breached the peace.
    If they lay hands on him, I'm pretty sure it's called "criminal assault."
    Rev. Robert Apgood, Esq.

A right cannot be lost by exercising it. McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 3025, 130 S. Ct. 3020, 3021, 177 L. Ed. 2d 894 (2010) (citing Near v. Minn., 283 U.S. 697 (1931)).

Although IAAL, anything I say here is not legal advice. No conversations we may have privately or otherwise in this forum constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship, and are not intended to do so.

What do you mean, breached the peace? Is that something someone can be charged with here in Washington? What exactly are the elements to prove a breached the peace case? What are the jurry instructions? Which RCW is it?