• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Ice Palace, 2012 edition

country.hacker

If you remember, I've OCd at the Spokane Ice Palace twice now, last year and the year before. Security has hassled me both times, the first time requiring me to disarm or they would force me to leave, the second time (After I received written verification from the Spokane Police Department, and City Parks representative) "requesting" that I disarm.

Well once again winter is in the air, and my six year old and almost-four year old girls are begging to be taken skating again. Therefore, I announce to all interested parties that I will be holding the third-annual Open Carry Ice Skate tomorrow (Tuesday 12/4) night from 7pm-8:30pm at the Riverfront Park Ice Palace, and invite you all to come join me. It's $2 Tuesdays (rental extra), and for those of you who don't feel comfortable on the ice, there's coffee and hot chocolate available in the concession stand and comfortable (hah!) seating ringside.

Hope to see some friendly faces there tomorrow night, and if not, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Cheers,

Rory

hermannr

If you remember, I've OCd at the Spokane Ice Palace twice now, last year and the year before. Security has hassled me both times, the first time requiring me to disarm or they would force me to leave, the second time (After I received written verification from the Spokane Police Department, and City Parks representative) "requesting" that I disarm.

Well once again winter is in the air, and my six year old and almost-four year old girls are begging to be taken skating again. Therefore, I announce to all interested parties that I will be holding the third-annual Open Carry Ice Skate tomorrow (Tuesday 12/4) night from 7pm-8:30pm at the Riverfront Park Ice Palace, and invite you all to come join me. It's $2 Tuesdays (rental extra), and for those of you who don't feel comfortable on the ice, there's coffee and hot chocolate available in the concession stand and comfortable (hah!) seating ringside.

Hope to see some friendly faces there tomorrow night, and if not, I'll let you all know how it goes!

Cheers,

Rory

To bad it is so far, my wife would love to do that (so would I) no rental necessary. IMHO: it would be nice to have a legally hassel free skate. :)

darkside

just a heads up

Last time i was in Riverfront Park (Pig Out In The Park) I checked the big sign by the water feature and carosel. It still read that firearms were not allowed in the park(or words to that effect). Just be prepared for security to hassel you. Because we all know that they are the most well informed people that the city can hire for that job.:rolleyes:

Drat! Just noticed when it was posted and just realized what day it is. Its hell getting old. Hope everything went ok.

Last edited:

country.hacker

Well it turned out pretty anti-climactic, we were a little late so there were a bunch of people on the ice when we got there. The security guys (Pretty sure they were the same ones from last year) hung out beside the rink for about 30 minutes but didn't catch my eye (not like I was trying to get their attention), and nobody else said a word. Hopefully they got the word that carry is legal, and harassing citizens is not allowed.

Chalk this down as a win!

Difdi

Last time i was in Riverfront Park (Pig Out In The Park) I checked the big sign by the water feature and carosel. It still read that firearms were not allowed in the park(or words to that effect). Just be prepared for security to hassel you.

Just remember, if they lay hands on you to wrongfully eject you, they have breached the peace.

deanf

Just remember, if they lay hands on you to wrongfully eject you, they have breached the peace.

What do you mean, breached the peace? Is that something someone can be charged with here in Washington? What exactly are the elements to prove a breached the peace case? What are the jurry instructions? Which RCW is it?