• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Change on veterans’ gun rights lights fire

NAVYBLUE

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ns-gun-rights-lights-fire/?page=all#pagebreak

"Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican, wants veterans who have been deemed “mentally incompetent” to have their cases adjudicated by a judge — rather than the Department of Veterans Affairs, as happens currently — and argued that veterans who simply cannot support themselves financially are needlessly given the label and, as such, cannot buy or possess firearms"

NAVYBLUE

vegaspassat

My problems with this:
Is the process in which veterans are diagnosed as mentally incompetent any different than civilians? If all other citizins have to be declared as such by a judge rather than a healthcare provider, then the process is unfair to veterans (or civilians depending on how you look at it). Furthermore, the problem is clearly stated in the article that the VA is misdiagnosing it's patients. Why in the hell would (or should) we introduce or change legialation because the VA can't do their damn job right? That is creating a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/defense-bill-senate-vote_n_2240500.html

didn't this pass? I assume with the amendment .. could be wrong. .. vote 98-0

this was an amendment to a spending bill .. any doubt it would not pass .. I have yet to see a spending bill that was not passed sooner or later ...

looks like vets who want to have their gun rights are going to need to pay up and go to court ...

so looks like all the idiots voted for it !! when a bill passes 98-0, you know its a total cluster-puck