• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Friend refused exit at Chuck E Cheese

Aaron1124

Here's a question for anyone who may be informed.

My friend was recently telling me a story of how the employee of Chuck E Cheese wouldn't allow him to leave with his son, because the stamp on his hand didn't match up on the stamp on his son's hand - because his son came in with his brother, and his brother already left.

He said he went to leave anyway, but they told him they would call the police on him if he left.

My question is, would the police have reasonable suspicion to actually detain my friend at this point?

I know Chuck E Cheese claims this policy is there to protect the children, but some things seem to really cross over the boundaries. Unless that is just me.

MKEgal

IANAL,NDIPOOTV, but I'd say yes.
And with a potential child abduction you gotta know the police would be after him big time.

So did he call his brother back, or how did they get to leave?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Because its too difficult to ask the kid, "Is this your daddy?"

Or, ask the dad if he's got any pictures of the kid in his wallet.

I can't believe this hasn't come up before. How many times have parents brought more than their own kids to Chucky Cheese and had the other kid's parents arrive late from work or something?

EMNofSeattle

They may not even need RAS, if "Dad" wants to leave with his kid and the police are trying to establish the Identity of the child, chances are "dad" will stay and cooperate with them voluntarily, if the contact is voluntary then no RAS is needed.

However if dad suddenly decides to leave on his own without the child, could that, in addition to failing the Chuck E cheese match system and having a named complaint from the manager of that Chuck E Cheese be considered RAS? most likely.

My guess is that there is some waiver signed by whoever dropped off the kid explaining the system for preventing child abduction, therefore the guardian of the child or whoever brought them agreed that the child would only be allowed to leave with that adult or listing other circumstances, therefore the "detention" of the child by the manager of the CE. C is probably "voluntary" too.

WalkingWolf

They may not even need RAS, if "Dad" wants to leave with his kid and the police are trying to establish the Identity of the child, chances are "dad" will stay and cooperate with them voluntarily, if the contact is voluntary then no RAS is needed.

However if dad suddenly decides to leave on his own without the child, could that, in addition to failing the Chuck E cheese match system and having a named complaint from the manager of that Chuck E Cheese be considered RAS? most likely.

My guess is that there is some waiver signed by whoever dropped off the kid explaining the system for preventing child abduction, therefore the guardian of the child or whoever brought them agreed that the child would only be allowed to leave with that adult or listing other circumstances, therefore the "detention" of the child by the manager of the CE. C is probably "voluntary" too.

I'm not a lawyer, but I do believe to detain anybody RAS would have to be there FIRST, not if. If the person wanted to leave then I see no way a citizen could legally stop them, unless there was a lost child to begin with. And if the child and parent was detained, and there were no custody orders or orders of protection involved, somebody could go to jail, IMO, but not the parent. I have had Walmart employees years ago attempt to detain us because I would not let them look in my cart after check out. Not only did they get told to buzz off, I called police. If anybody detains anybody they better be damn sure they have their ducks in a row.

Lord Sega

I'm not familiar with Chuck-e-Cheese, and I understand that they are trying to stop child abduction, but how can they keep you from leaving with your kid?
Even if they have rent-a-cop security, how can they legally detain you? And if they separate your kid from you is that not kidnapping, or at least custodial interference?
Even if you could prove that they are your kid, ie wallet photos, or child's social security card in your wallet, that doesn't mean your child is supposed to be with you.
There are many cases where there is a divorce and restraining order, where one parent has custody and the other does not. So how does Chuck-e-Cheese work those?
Then, once police are involved, how do you prove it to them? I checked my wallet, I have nothing that proves my kid is my kid. I would have to return home for official documents.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You can't leave ! Haha .. I have heard this many times...I just leave. They want to stop me? Better be willing to fight (and lose) and get a few broken bones.

Its called kidnapping (preventing a person from moving from point A to point B).

Anonymouse

You can't leave ! Haha .. I have heard this many times...I just leave. They want to stop me? Better be willing to fight (and lose) and get a few broken bones.

Its called kidnapping (preventing a person from moving from point A to point B).

Just a curious question.

What about Code Adams in stores? I've seen one where the doors were locked and the police wouldn't let anyone leave until the missing child was found.

It was a Walmart that had a police substation in it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Uber_Olafsun

I know hospitals have this policy as well and each calls it their own way. When I worked in house even we were tagged with security detail and certain doors by our shop. During the training they never actually address what to do if someone was trying to leave just to not let then leave.

WalkingWolf

Just a curious question.

What about Code Adams in stores? I've seen one where the doors were locked and the police wouldn't let anyone leave until the missing child was found.

I can't see how anyone without a child could be detained in those circumstances. I have heard of Walmart locking the doors, but if I want to go, I am going even if I have throw a cart through the plate glass windows. Though I would probably stay to help look on my own, I won't be forced to do anything. If you don't have a child with you, where is the RAS in that situation?

Preyn2

I'm leaving. My kid is leaving with me. Some minimum wage deputy assistant manager trainee at Chuck Effing Cheese is not going to have any material effect on that plan of action. There is a license plate on the front and rear of my truck that will allow the cops to find my residence. I'll see them when I get there.

Anonymouse

I can't see how anyone without a child could be detained in those circumstances. I have heard of Walmart locking the doors, but if I want to go, I am going even if I have throw a cart through the plate glass windows. Though I would probably stay to help look on my own, I won't be forced to do anything. If you don't have a child with you, where is the RAS in that situation?

Where is the RAS in having a child? That's like having a robbery where the robber is say Chinese and you detain every Chinese person on the block.

Or you "search" every Muslim trying to get on a plane.

Where does the RAS end?

*I'd stay and help too. Just curious how far it can be taken.

EMNofSeattle

Where is the RAS in having a child? That's like having a robbery where the robber is say Chinese and you detain every Chinese person on the block.

Or you "search" every Muslim trying to get on a plane.

Where does the RAS end?

*I'd stay and help too. Just curious how far it can be taken.

Because in the case of the chinaman robbing the store or the plane, that's based on a description of a suspect who has either gotten away or MIGHT commit a crime...

in the Code Adam scenario they have a specific report of missing abducted child who is still inside the store, and thus they have people look at all children to see...

however I worked at a store that had "Code Adam" procedures, and we weren't told to lock the door, only to go to an assigned exit door and look for children who matched the description of the missing child, then phone police about the adult they were with, we were told to under no circumstances attempt to detain them or prevent them from leaving...

F350

OK; I'm one of the most hard nosed RAS guys here, but I give all those "they can't stop me from leaving with my kid, LEO have no RAS to stop me....." types 5 to 1 odds on 2 bets

1} There isn't a court in the country that would not find that a guy leaving a "kiddie joint" with a kid that doesn't match the security stamp system wasn't RAS.

2} If said "kiddie joint" allowed some stranger to leave with their kid they would be the first and loudest yelling "LAW SUIT!!!!!

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just a curious question.

If they lock their doors, I would leave via an emergency exit .. they cannot lock these. If all doors were locked then leaving by force would be appropriate. The most they would have is a civil case - and a losing one at that.

WalkingWolf

OK; I'm one of the most hard nosed RAS guys here, but I give all those "they can't stop me from leaving with my kid, LEO have no RAS to stop me....." types 5 to 1 odds on 2 bets

1} There isn't a court in the country that would not find that a guy leaving a "kiddie joint" with a kid that doesn't match the security stamp system wasn't RAS.

2} If said "kiddie joint" allowed some stranger to leave with their kid they would be the first and loudest yelling "LAW SUIT!!!!!

Unless there is a missing child report no business, or civil employee has any power to stop a lawful citizen leaving a business with HIS OWN family. That is ignorant, it is the parents responsibility alone for their child's safety. And it is about damn time they started being responsible. You can keep a person out of a business, there is nothing in the constitution that would condone incarceration of innocent law abiding citizens and their family. Detain me for some stupid carp and I guarantee a law suit. How could a kiddie joint be held culpable or negligent for something that is NOT their responsibility?