• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any state laws forbid university carry? legislative 2013

ocholsteroc

I know legislative 2013 is coming up, and last year we had a few bills about college carry, but they got pushed to 2013. My question is is there currently any state law that forbids carry on college ground/building/events? What would the new laws allow/over what we have now? I could not find anything in the VAC about colleges. I wanted to know because I remember people OCing at ODU, and I remember ODU put some ban in about guns, something with the force of law now? but what state law says they can prosecute you? This is unconstitutional?

O. The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun or other weapon on property or in places where such possession is otherwise prohibited by law or is prohibited by the owner of private property.
There is no "In Violation of this"

Page 19 Part III
http://www.virginia1774.org/RVGMUBrief.pdf

What did GMU get out of this? there is no crime /punishment listed in section "O" of VAC 18.2-308.

VAC CODE 1-248. Supremacy of federal and state law.

The Constitution and laws of the United States and of the Commonwealth shall be supreme. Any ordinance, resolution, bylaw, rule, regulation, or order of any governing body or any corporation, board, or number of persons shall not be inconsistent with the Constitution and laws of the United States or of the Commonwealth.
ODU Law is voided?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I know legislative 2013 is coming up, and last year we had a few bills about college carry, but they got pushed to 2013. My question is is there currently any state law that forbids carry on college ground/building/events? What would the new laws allow/over what we have now? I could not find anything in the VAC about colleges. I wanted to know because I remember people OCing at ODU, and I remember ODU put some ban in about guns, something with the force of law now? but what state law says they can prosecute you? This is unconstitutional?

There is no "In Violation of this"

Page 19 Part III
http://www.virginia1774.org/RVGMUBrief.pdf

What did GMU get out of this? there is no crime /punishment listed in section "O" of VAC 18.2-308.

ODU Law is voided?

http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2011opns/11-078-Hanger.pdf