• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick Question

Fearshriek

When open carrying in Nevada, what is the law about the gun being loaded/chambered and such.
Thank you.

EMNofSeattle

The law says absolutely nothing open open carry or having a loaded gun. Look up NRS 202.350 it only pertains to concealed weapons. Since OC of a charged handgun is not prohibited by law it is therefore legal.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Anywhere that you can legally possess a firearm, it may be fully loaded, with the exception of long guns in vehicles (no round in the chamber for these).

Last edited:

desertborn

A question about long guns, does the no round in the chamber apply to private property as well or just when you are driving on public land?

FallonJeeper

This is under "CHAPTER 503 - HUNTING, FISHING AND TRAPPING; MISCELLANEOUS PROTECTIVE MEASURES". I guess it's supposed to deter poaching. You can have a full magazine, but nothing in the chamber.

NRS 503.165  Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun in or on vehicle on or along public way unlawful; exceptions.

1.  It is unlawful to carry a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in or on any vehicle which is standing on or along, or is being driven on or along, any public highway or any other way open to the public.

2.  A rifle or shotgun is loaded, for the purposes of this section, when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell in the firing chamber, but not when the only cartridges or shells are in the magazine.

3.  The provisions of this section do not apply to paraplegics, persons with one or both legs amputated or who have suffered a paralysis of one or both legs which severely impedes walking, or peace officers and members of the Armed Forces of this State or the United States while on duty or going to or returning from duty.

(Added to NRS by 1969, 1367; A 1971, 1542; 1981, 321; 1987, 596)

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've always wondered just how applicable those regulations are to obvious non-hunting areas, but I know I wouldn't want to test it. And there is extremely little advantage to that round in the chamber when in a vehicle anyway.

Cops carry the same way: fully-loaded sidearm, but only a full magazine and empty chamber in the long guns in the vehicle.

Last edited:

desertborn

Interesting, I always believed the police to carry their shotguns with one chambered. I doubt there is any advantage to it at all since you still have to get out of the vehicle to fire the weapon legally. Simply curious because I know several ranchers in otherbstates that just throw their long gun in the truck when checking their cattle.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Interesting, I always believed the police to carry their shotguns with one chambered...

While I'm sure if some did, they are going to get away with it, every single time I've seen one jump out of the car with a shotgun, he racked the slide.

With the level of brains that cops have to deal with at the other end of the barrel, they probably would want to do it anyway based on how many idiots watch TV, because they all "know" a shotgun won't work unless it is pumped immediately before firing. Cops probably wouldn't get taken seriously if they just got out of the car and pointed it!