Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Stone-walled in Newington

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3

    Stone-walled in Newington

    Hi everyone, glad I found this forum.

    Has any else had issues with the permit process in Newington? I put my application in August and was told 12-16 weeks. It was denied in September by DPS as my fingerprints weren't clear enough. Fine, start over. Went and had them redone immediately. Now it's the first week in December and I've been checking the status every couple of weeks and the only response I get is "It's on the sergeants desk." I called yesterday and got, "It got moved to another sergeant, and were waiting for him to sign it."

    Am I being stone-walled here? Does Newington have this reputation? It's quite frustrating that its taking this long.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Everyone gets stonewalled. That is what they do.

    You are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people. Stop talking to the local PD and call the SPBI instead.

    860-685-8480

    Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information ready.

    Tell them you need to know the date your fingerprints were received and the date your national criminal history background check was sent back to the local issuing authority.

    If the first date > 5 days or the second date > 1 week, let us know and we can explain how to appeal.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Sounds like they are giving you the run around. I never gave my PD fingerprints, they are not mandatory. Nor did I pay them anything for a BR chk; they did one anyway.

    Anyway, you may file an appeal. I'm sure Rich will provide some information about that specific town if he has any.

    I filed my appeal in May ... my hearing is coming up soon. Quick huh?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Everyone gets stonewalled. That is what they do.

    You are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people. Stop talking to the local PD and call the SPBI instead.

    860-685-8480

    Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information ready.

    Tell them you need to know the date your fingerprints were received and the date your national criminal history background check was sent back to the local issuing authority.

    If the first date > 5 days or the second date > 1 week, let us know and we can explain how to appeal.
    Thanks, it's most definitely longer than a week since they have been telling they received it and its been on the Sergeants desk since October. What would be the best way to go about it?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by CTEnthusiast View Post
    Thanks, it's most definitely longer than a week since they have been telling they received it and its been on the Sergeants desk since October. What would be the best way to go about it?
    If you want to appeal, you can find information here: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?...92&bfpeNav=%7C

    You will want the second letter and you need to send the questionnaire in at the same time.

    You should make sure you get your dates from SPBI for your letter and your records for your appeal.
    Last edited by Rich B; 12-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    If you want to appeal, you can find information here: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?...92&bfpeNav=%7C

    You will want the second letter and you need to send the questionnaire in at the same time.

    You should make sure you get your dates from SPBI for your letter and your records for your appeal.
    With all dates .. say on/about ...so it does not become an issue

  7. #7
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithWesson59 View Post
    This is my first time posting, so sorry if I mess something up....
    My suggestion is that you post this as a new thread so it can be an ongoing discussion and so it doesn't get too confusing.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Everyone gets stonewalled. That is what they do.

    You are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people. Stop talking to the local PD and call the SPBI instead.

    860-685-8480

    Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information ready.

    Tell them you need to know the date your fingerprints were received and the date your national criminal history background check was sent back to the local issuing authority.

    If the first date > 5 days or the second date > 1 week, let us know and we can explain how to appeal.
    Planning on filing my appeal tomorrow. Is it worth letting the PD know ahead of time that Ill be filing an appeal?

    Also, what is the money order for and how do I set that up? Post office?

    Thanks again.

  9. #9
    Regular Member brk913's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Plainville, CT
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by CTEnthusiast View Post
    Planning on filing my appeal tomorrow. Is it worth letting the PD know ahead of time that Ill be filing an appeal?
    Nope, don't bother, they will find out after you appeal when they receive notice from the Board

    Quote Originally Posted by CTEnthusiast View Post
    Also, what is the money order for and how do I set that up? Post office?
    The MO number Rich is referring to is the number on the MO you made out to the DPS for $50 for the background check, if you paid by personal check they may be able to use that number as well.
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by brk913 View Post
    The MO number Rich is referring to is the number on the MO you made out to the DPS for $50 for the background check, if you paid by personal check they may be able to use that number as well.
    Is this mandatory??? Area of contention I think....

  11. #11
    Regular Member brk913's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Plainville, CT
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Is this mandatory??? Area of contention I think....
    Is what mandatory? The fee? It is under dipute as you well know. Having the number from the MO or check you used if you did pay to submit to the background check just helps the SPBI look up your file, they can do it without it but it makes it easier for them to locate if you can provide that number.
    Last edited by brk913; 12-07-2012 at 06:33 AM.
    Member:, NRA Patron Life, NSSF, CCDL, CT Carry, MRPC and Bell City
    NRA Certified Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer - Basic Pistol, Home Firearm Safety, Metallic Cartridge/Shotgun Shell Reloading - www.ctpistolpermit.com

  12. #12
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by brk913 View Post
    Nope, don't bother, they will find out after you appeal when they receive notice from the Board


    The MO number Rich is referring to is the number on the MO you made out to the DPS for $50 for the background check, if you paid by personal check they may be able to use that number as well.
    This.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  13. #13
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by brk913 View Post
    Is what mandatory? The fee? It is under dipute as you well know.
    http://ctcarry.com/BackgroundCheckFee/Background
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

    Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    I did not pay ... Mongo no pay ... Mongo don't need to pay .. Mongo gets angry if made to pay..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •