Thread: U pin for weapon purchase

U pin for weapon purchase

I have been getting a hard time on weapon purchases in Washington. I have a CPL and an FFL (03), but I get a "wait" on weapon purchases. After the last time (I bought a couple of AR lowers), I called the FBI to ask about my "holds". They told me that the local PD (the city of subdued excitement) was blocking me and suggested they issue me a U Pin number to side step them. I talked to my local FFL (01) and he had never used one. Have any of you obtained a U Pin and is it worthwhile to use one?
    A unique thing to go with this action......I would have to submit a fingerprint card again..... I would have to go to BPD to get it.........They will ask the "purpose" of the card.....I will tell them.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Banned
    http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...ochure_eng.pdf

you give up some rights here ... solve the problem with delays? That's the goal.

Some say it works.

Takes about 8-16 weeks for the processing ... from what I've heard

They told me that the local PD (the city of subdued excitement) was blocking me

Why, specifically?

For years I would get delayed while making a purchase. One day while conducting an investigation, I had the opportunity to access the SSI Death Index. Just for giggles, I entered my name. Results showed 42 people wth the same name, date of birth was within 1 month but different years, some off by 30 years or more. From that point on I have entered my SSN, and have not been delayed again. YMMV
    Last edited by Trigger Dr; 12-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    I have been getting a hard time on weapon purchases in Washington. I have a CPL and an FFL (03), but I get a "wait" on weapon purchases. After the last time (I bought a couple of AR lowers), I called the FBI to ask about my "holds". They told me that the local PD (the city of subdued excitement) was blocking me and suggested they issue me a U Pin number to side step them. I talked to my local FFL (01) and he had never used one. Have any of you obtained a U Pin and is it worthwhile to use one?
    A unique thing to go with this action......I would have to submit a fingerprint card again..... I would have to go to BPD to get it.........They will ask the "purpose" of the card.....I will tell them.
    Might be time to file that law suit, and add the local block as another illegal grievance to show that "pattern of illegal activity" so you can qualify for a bit of "Punitive damages" to punish their illeagl activity.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Why, specifically?[/COLOR]
    It may be that pesky grievance I filed with the city of B'ham, mayor linville, the CoP, and OFFICER ALLEN BASS.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Might be time to file that law suit, and add the local block as another illegal grievance to show that "pattern of illegal activity" so you can qualify for a bit of "Punitive damages" to punish their illeagl activity.
    I have contracted with an attorney and this is a piece.
    In the meanwhile, I am not happy that they have to be petty and I have to sidestep them. I consider it unnecessary.
    Still the question, anyone use one, or have you dealers used it?
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I too get delayed every time I buy A firearm. Have had A CPL since the mid 80's never been in trouble with the law as an adult. And have been told it is because they still have a security clearance atached to my name because of the work I did in the navy. Its not that I mind the wait but having to make the trip twice to pick up the new purchase really sucks. Thats why I belong to WAC with my cpl and WAC id card I am good to go. Now you may all start the lashings about wac. I am ready.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    For years I would get delayed while making a purchase. One day while conducting an investigation, I had the opportunity to access the SSI Death Index. Just for giggles, I entered my name. Results showed 42 people wth the same name, date of birth was within 1 month but different years, some off by 30 years or more. From that point on I have entered my SSN, and have not been delayed again. YMMV
    I have had a similar situation happen for a long time, same guy in my town, middle initial very close to mine , same age and social security number only one number off.

I was always asked do you live on Moore St. , never have.

In this situation, though, John had no problem before, the Feds told him who are holding it up.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    I too get delayed every time I buy A firearm. Have had A CPL since the mid 80's never been in trouble with the law as an adult. And have been told it is because they still have a security clearance atached to my name because of the work I did in the navy. Its not that I mind the wait but having to make the trip twice to pick up the new purchase really sucks. Thats why I belong to WAC with my cpl and WAC id card I am good to go. Now you may all start the lashings about wac. I am ready.

Why would having a security clearance attached DELAY a purchase? If anything, shouldn't that mean you're MORE "trustworthy" than non-clearance folk?
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911er View Post
    Interesting, I was into the Nuclear weapon thing in the Army (Pershing)...TS and all that stuff..never been delayed, Was also in MI for awhile in the WAANG afterward for a while. I know Pershing is dead now, but the MI is not.

No personal knowledge, some folks have clearances that result in the requester getting a phone call from whomever issued the clearance. Think of it as a no poaching sign.

I have a customer who has the Upin ( ID theft) and she still gets delays......

Bill,

Not asking for a big flagrant advertisement here or anything ;-) but what gun store are you at?

Quote Originally Posted by Vitaeus View Post
    No personal knowledge, some folks have clearances that result in the requester getting a phone call from whomever issued the clearance. Think of it as a no poaching sign.
    This. 50 years later and a certain agency wants to know why anybody is asking about me. I have no idea why, as not only does whatever I used to know no longer exist, it has no connection to skeletons in any closet, and that agency does not, never has, existed. Just ask - everybody you do will tell you - and then pick up the phone and report you as a security risk for asking about that agency.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by kparker View Post
    Bill,

Not asking for a big flagrant advertisement here or anything ;-) but what gun store are you at?
    Champion Arms in Kent

I've always been lucky and get mine approved within about 15 seconds after they give my info. A buddy of mine on the other hand has to wait the full 3 days EVERY single time!

kinda sucks, especially if you have your CC permit and can walk in and out on a handgun purchase. I hate waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    Been doing the same thing since I started buying firearms. Not a single delay, ever. As for Security Clearances???? I have had several both while in Civilian employ and Military. Never has been an issue.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"