• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

U pin for weapon purchase

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have been getting a hard time on weapon purchases in Washington. I have a CPL and an FFL (03), but I get a "wait" on weapon purchases. After the last time (I bought a couple of AR lowers), I called the FBI to ask about my "holds". They told me that the local PD (the city of subdued excitement) was blocking me and suggested they issue me a U Pin number to side step them. I talked to my local FFL (01) and he had never used one. Have any of you obtained a U Pin and is it worthwhile to use one?
A unique thing to go with this action......I would have to submit a fingerprint card again..... I would have to go to BPD to get it.........They will ask the "purpose" of the card.....I will tell them.

Trigger Dr

For years I would get delayed while making a purchase. One day while conducting an investigation, I had the opportunity to access the SSI Death Index. Just for giggles, I entered my name. Results showed 42 people wth the same name, date of birth was within 1 month but different years, some off by 30 years or more. From that point on I have entered my SSN, and have not been delayed again. YMMV

Last edited:

hermannr

I have been getting a hard time on weapon purchases in Washington. I have a CPL and an FFL (03), but I get a "wait" on weapon purchases. After the last time (I bought a couple of AR lowers), I called the FBI to ask about my "holds". They told me that the local PD (the city of subdued excitement) was blocking me and suggested they issue me a U Pin number to side step them. I talked to my local FFL (01) and he had never used one. Have any of you obtained a U Pin and is it worthwhile to use one?
A unique thing to go with this action......I would have to submit a fingerprint card again..... I would have to go to BPD to get it.........They will ask the "purpose" of the card.....I will tell them.

Might be time to file that law suit, and add the local block as another illegal grievance to show that "pattern of illegal activity" so you can qualify for a bit of "Punitive damages" to punish their illeagl activity.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Why, specifically?[/COLOR]
It may be that pesky grievance I filed with the city of B'ham, mayor linville, the CoP, and OFFICER ALLEN BASS.

Might be time to file that law suit, and add the local block as another illegal grievance to show that "pattern of illegal activity" so you can qualify for a bit of "Punitive damages" to punish their illeagl activity.
I have contracted with an attorney and this is a piece.
In the meanwhile, I am not happy that they have to be petty and I have to sidestep them. I consider it unnecessary.
Still the question, anyone use one, or have you dealers used it?

1911er

I too get delayed every time I buy A firearm. Have had A CPL since the mid 80's never been in trouble with the law as an adult. And have been told it is because they still have a security clearance atached to my name because of the work I did in the navy. Its not that I mind the wait but having to make the trip twice to pick up the new purchase really sucks. Thats why I belong to WAC with my cpl and WAC id card I am good to go. Now you may all start the lashings about wac. I am ready.

sudden valley gunner

For years I would get delayed while making a purchase. One day while conducting an investigation, I had the opportunity to access the SSI Death Index. Just for giggles, I entered my name. Results showed 42 people wth the same name, date of birth was within 1 month but different years, some off by 30 years or more. From that point on I have entered my SSN, and have not been delayed again. YMMV

I have had a similar situation happen for a long time, same guy in my town, middle initial very close to mine , same age and social security number only one number off.

I was always asked do you live on Moore St. , never have.

In this situation, though, John had no problem before, the Feds told him who are holding it up.

Metalhead47

I too get delayed every time I buy A firearm. Have had A CPL since the mid 80's never been in trouble with the law as an adult. And have been told it is because they still have a security clearance atached to my name because of the work I did in the navy. Its not that I mind the wait but having to make the trip twice to pick up the new purchase really sucks. Thats why I belong to WAC with my cpl and WAC id card I am good to go. Now you may all start the lashings about wac. I am ready.

Why would having a security clearance attached DELAY a purchase? If anything, shouldn't that mean you're MORE "trustworthy" than non-clearance folk?

hermannr

Interesting, I was into the Nuclear weapon thing in the Army (Pershing)...TS and all that stuff..never been delayed, Was also in MI for awhile in the WAANG afterward for a while. I know Pershing is dead now, but the MI is not.

Vitaeus

No personal knowledge, some folks have clearances that result in the requester getting a phone call from whomever issued the clearance. Think of it as a no poaching sign.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
No personal knowledge, some folks have clearances that result in the requester getting a phone call from whomever issued the clearance. Think of it as a no poaching sign.

This. 50 years later and a certain agency wants to know why anybody is asking about me. I have no idea why, as not only does whatever I used to know no longer exist, it has no connection to skeletons in any closet, and that agency does not, never has, existed. Just ask - everybody you do will tell you - and then pick up the phone and report you as a security risk for asking about that agency.

stay safe.

aa1911

I've always been lucky and get mine approved within about 15 seconds after they give my info. A buddy of mine on the other hand has to wait the full 3 days EVERY single time!

kinda sucks, especially if you have your CC permit and can walk in and out on a handgun purchase. I hate waiting...

amlevin

Been doing the same thing since I started buying firearms. Not a single delay, ever. As for Security Clearances???? I have had several both while in Civilian employ and Military. Never has been an issue.