• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge

Peacemaker65

National Parks now follow state law (when outdoors) concerning concealed and open carry. I have read a news report where an official from the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge has stated that concealed carry is permitted in the WMWR (before open carry was in effect). Link: http://www.kswo.com/global/story.asp?s=12046578

Okay, this sounds cut and dry but what I am confused about is people saying you cannot carry onto land managed by the Department of Wildlife or something in that manner. Is this just a case where the WMWR falls under the Department of Forestry or some other division in spite of its name? Can someone explain this because it is very confusing and I just want to make sure before I feel too comfortable out there.

Peacemaker65

Okay, I found this on the web for more peace of mind but I am trying to find out where i might not be able to carry in conjunction with wildlife land:

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) has announced that new rules allowing the possession of firearms on National Wildlife Refuges and National Parks will take effect on Feb. 22, 2010.

"After this date (Feb. 22, 2010), the law allows an individual to lawfully possess a firearm within the boundaries of a national wildlife refuge in accordance with federal, state and local firearms laws," stated the FWS in a press release. "Visitors will be allowed to possess firearms on National Wildlife Refuges provided they comply with applicable provisions of federal, state and local law."

The new rule results from an amendment to the Credit Cardholders' Bill of Rights Act of 2009, allowing people to carry loaded firearms in national parks and wildlife refuges.

Persons with state-issued firearms "carry" permits will be allowed to carry firearms on refuges as long as they do so in compliance with the laws of the state that issued the permit.

According to the FWS, the new law will apply to all 551 units of the National Wildlife Refuge System, as well as the National Monuments and the 392 units of the National Park System.

The new law affects only the possession of firearms, not the use of firearms. "The law does not allow visitors to fire or discharge the firearms in any way, brandish the weapon in the view of others, or any other use of the firearm," stated the FWS.

Possession of firearms will still be prohibited in federally-operated visitor centers, administrative office buildings, maintenance offices and workshops, field and backcountry offices, ranger stations and fee collection stations.​

hrdware

National Parks now follow state law (when outdoors) concerning concealed and open carry. I have read a news report where an official from the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge has stated that concealed carry is permitted in the WMWR (before open carry was in effect). Link: http://www.kswo.com/global/story.asp?s=12046578

Okay, this sounds cut and dry but what I am confused about is people saying you cannot carry onto land managed by the Department of Wildlife or something in that manner. Is this just a case where the WMWR falls under the Department of Forestry or some other division in spite of its name? Can someone explain this because it is very confusing and I just want to make sure before I feel too comfortable out there.

That was me that was talking about Department of Wildlife land inside state parks.

The law that was signed by the feds specifically allows carry per state law into National Wildlife Refuges, National Monument Areas, and National Parks. Land inside a state park that is managed by either the state Department of Wildlife (or even the federal Department of Wildlife) does not fall into this classification.

Apologies for the confusion.

Also, don't forget, you can't carry on Army Corp of Engineer projects either except for the express purposes of hunting and fishing.

Last edited: